Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Why Not Switch To Discord? (Part Two)

relavis

Discord has recently added categories.

This was one of the things that has been holding us back from switching to Discord. Here's a Gyazo gif of the system in action.

https://gyazo.com/f4...bca78c33123e8c0

The categories support both text AND voice channels under them, so we'd have some great organization.

Whatd'ya think, Leadership?

Edited by andrewcbaker

Discord does sound interesting. However, the thing about Discord is, I think you have to pay to have 50+ people online at once. Also, as they have said before, their service is for teams. We are a community, something a lot bigger than a team.

To add one more thing, it is very easy to delete a server in Discord (not sure If you can store the custom server settings somewhere as a backup like TS3) and after one accidental push of a button, all of those channels and roles and categories woulsld be gone and I don't know who would have the nerve to reset it.

Anyways, Discord is a cool idea, but until they release an option for gaming communities (which would probably be payable), then it might be cool to switch. HG has been using TS for a long time and I still like it, despite how complicated it can be :)

Edited by Comic King

No, we don't need to switch. We are all happy with Teamspeak and what we currently have has not limited us in any way which would require us to look at other options.

Like Supa said, the notifications are annoying and time would be wasted just to switch from something that has functioned properly for so long.

Discord does sound interesting. However, the thing about Discord is, I think you have to pay to have 50+ people online at once. Also, as they have said before, their service is for teams. We are a community, something a lot bigger than a team.

To add one more thing, it is very easy to delete a server in Discord (not sure If you can store the custom server settings somewhere as a backup like TS3) and after one accidental push of a button, all of those channels and roles and categories woulsld be gone and I don't know who would have the nerve to reset it.

Anyways, Discord is a cool idea, but until they release an option for gaming communities (which would probably be payable), then it might be cool to switch. HG has been using TS for a long time and I still like it, despite how complicated it can be :)

Discord is completely free. There are servers with thousands of users in them and they don't have to pay anything. They make their revenue by individual users buying Discord Nitro.

Like Comic said... discord is more team based where as TeamSpeak is community-based. Yes, you do need to pay for Teamspeak, but it's what? 325$ for 2-3 years? It's not a big deal.

Also, I'm in 8 discord servers, and there are always notifications, which is quite annoying.

No, we don't need to switch. We are all happy with Teamspeak and what we currently have has not limited us in any way which would require us to look at other options.

Like Supa said, the notifications are annoying and time would be wasted just to switch from something that has functioned properly for so long.

Set your settings to these, then you will only be notified if someone directly @'s your name.

https://gyazo.com/f0cbd95b6782bd7e62a51bc2b9dbf03b

Set your settings to these, then you will only be notified if someone directly @'s your name.

https://gyazo.com/f0cbd95b6782bd7e62a51bc2b9dbf03b

I do have it set to only mentions, but with the larger discords im in people are always @ing the group's I'm apart of. So with how many groups we would need.... I don't think it would be very productive.

• Like 1

I do have it set to only mentions, but with the larger discords im in people are always @ing the group's I'm apart of. So with how many groups we would need.... I don't think it would be very productive.

You can disable @'ing certain groups. For example, @Partnerships would not show up as a valid mention.

You can disable @'ing certain groups. For example, @Partnerships would not show up as a valid mention.

Well. Another case in point. How complicated it would be to switch over. Isn't worth the time, when TeamSpeak suits us just fine. I'm a poet and didn't know it.

I looked through my personal settings and didn't find anything about muting groups, so I assume it's server side? Anyways, just isn't worth it. Plus we would have to decide what groups should be mute and which shouldn't. The list is huge, and I don't think Homer has the time to do so. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" -Jc. 2k17

Well. Another case in point. How complicated it would be to switch over. Isn't worth the time, when TeamSpeak suits us just fine. I'm a poet and didn't know it.

I looked through my personal settings and didn't find anything about muting groups, so I assume it's server side? Anyways, just isn't worth it. Plus we would have to decide what groups should be mute and which shouldn't. The list is huge, and I don't think Homer has the time to do so. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" -Jc. 2k17

It's really not that complicated. We just simply copy what the Teamspeak voice channels look like now, add a few chat channels, and make roles.

Did I mention that you can use an api to auto assign roles based on what roles you've got on the forums?