Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Server Error

Decoy

Hi, I'm Jessica,

I've been playing in your CSS D2 DM server for a long time now and I think it's great, but there's something wrong with it that maybe you guys can fix.

This has happened twice now, the first time I thought it was a fluke and wouldn't happen again.

The server was completely full at about 3:45pm EST and I saw a guy hacking (wtf hax?? was his name). I typed voteban and the server not only said it banned me, but also crashed.

Here's what the console said:

"Decoy : voteban

Korn killed lord of cat town! with m249.

Arimor killed Dyzfnctional with galil.

NOM NOM NOM killed @imster with m249.

Arimor killed Walmart Security with galil.

Arimor killed |HG| Moretti with galil.

jack the ripper killed (1)unnamed with scout.

Arimor killed S_Kro with galil.

Korn killed Bugs with m249.

Korn killed bullet trap..... with m249.

Bad RCON password

Tank killed Korn with deagle.

NOM NOM NOM killed Magilla with m249.

Bad RCON password

Cressanne, ASC : guns

Bad RCON password

NiGhTm@rE killed FV | RoVa with awp.

NOM NOM NOM killed Bugs with deagle.

bullet trap..... killed Arimor with hegrenade.

Player The Harbinger of Limitless Doom disconnected with SteamID STEAM_0:0:8754228

S_Kro killed NOM NOM NOM with m4a1.

lord of cat town! killed ÅŠÄ¢|SHockteCH with m4a1.

Kamikazi killed Tank with m4a1.

Kamikazi killed lord of cat town! with m4a1.

Bugs killed HypnotiQ with m249.

Bad RCON password

Bad RCON password

Banning 76.7.97.68 for rcon hacking attempts

Dropped Decoy from server (Added to banned list)

Disconnect: Added to banned list.

Disconnect: Added to banned list."

I just got back in the server at 4:05pm EST and asked if it crashed and they said yes.

I don't know if that's something you guys can work out, but I thought I'd let you know it happens.

Both times the server was full, both times I typed voteban and immediately the server crashed. I dont remember if it was the same guy both times and I wasn't on the same computer both times.

Thanks for hearing me out :) I hope you can get this resolved

-Jess

lol you're seeing the entire console chat, I didnt type rcon_password and guess at it even once. If I was trying to guess the password do you really think I'd be posting that on your forums? lawls.... all I did was type voteban then tried to hit 9 for More names and it was frozen. Then the server crashed and said it banned me.

My guess is the voteban command screwed up and tried to use rcon for some reason. idk I dont know much about running a server. But I do know that when a server crashed and someone knows what made it crash it helps the server admins out a shitload if they're told about it. So do with it as you please. I've done my part to help a server I like.

-Jess

I think there's something fishy here. I doubt the console would tell everyone else in the room that there was a bad Rcon Password.

And IP bans are automatic for failed Rcon guesses, they aren't regular SteamID bans like others.

I've tried to get unbanned from servers I've gotten banned from by trying to play the innocent noob that doesn't know why he(she in this case) was banned.

I say let her explain.

Hi, I'm Jessica,

I've been playing in your CSS D2 DM server for a long time now and I think it's great, but there's something wrong with it that maybe you guys can fix.

This has happened twice now, the first time I thought it was a fluke and wouldn't happen again.

The server was completely full at about 3:45pm EST and I saw a guy hacking (wtf hax?? was his name). I typed voteban and the server not only said it banned me, but also crashed.

Here's what the console said:

"Decoy : voteban

Korn killed lord of cat town! with m249.

Arimor killed Dyzfnctional with galil.

NOM NOM NOM killed @imster with m249.

Arimor killed Walmart Security with galil.

Arimor killed |HG| Moretti with galil.

jack the ripper killed (1)unnamed with scout.

Arimor killed S_Kro with galil.

Korn killed Bugs with m249.

Korn killed bullet trap..... with m249.

Bad RCON password

Tank killed Korn with deagle.

NOM NOM NOM killed Magilla with m249.

Bad RCON password

Cressanne, ASC : guns

Bad RCON password

NiGhTm@rE killed FV | RoVa with awp.

NOM NOM NOM killed Bugs with deagle.

bullet trap..... killed Arimor with hegrenade.

Player The Harbinger of Limitless Doom disconnected with SteamID STEAM_0:0:8754228

S_Kro killed NOM NOM NOM with m4a1.

lord of cat town! killed Ã…ŠÃ„¢|SHockteCH with m4a1.

Kamikazi killed Tank with m4a1.

Kamikazi killed lord of cat town! with m4a1.

Bugs killed HypnotiQ with m249.

Bad RCON password

Bad RCON password

Banning 76.7.97.68 for rcon hacking attempts

Dropped Decoy from server (Added to banned list)

Disconnect: Added to banned list.

Disconnect: Added to banned list."

I just got back in the server at 4:05pm EST and asked if it crashed and they said yes.

I don't know if that's something you guys can work out, but I thought I'd let you know it happens.

Both times the server was full, both times I typed voteban and immediately the server crashed. I dont remember if it was the same guy both times and I wasn't on the same computer both times.

Thanks for hearing me out :) I hope you can get this resolved

-Jess

You were banned for attempting to enter the incorrect RCON password 5 times? any explaination?

I can only think of 2 reasons why the log would say bad rcon password without seeing you type in rcon password.... let's hear your excuse

hmm the one thing that makes me think she's innocent is: if she really was trying to guess the rcon, how could she be that stupid to include it in her log. if she would have left it out, nobody would have known, since (LOL)

homer disabled logs on D2DM (fail)

um yeah, so it makes me think she doesnt know what she's doing. otherwise she would have probably been unbnned and we would probably just be sitting here wondering why it happend and scratching our heads.

i got to ask, is jessica using her own computer? are you perhaps using someone else's computer who has rcon brute script binded to a key?

lol I feel like an ass... I just found out that my boyfriend bound 9 to his rcon pass. He thinks I shouldn't post this because you guys wont believe that I'm the "innocent nub" and you might ban me. I'm posting it anyways because I like your server a lot and the fact remains that something crashed your server and now I know what it is.

By the way I am not currently banned and never was banned from the server for rcon hacking attempts. As soon as the server came back up I was able to join it again (I was in before I posted the first post). So I am NOT here playing the "innocent noob" I do not need to be unbanned and never did. The ONLY reason I posted here was so you guys might prevent future crashes.

That brings me back to the purpose of this post which was to help you work out kinks in the server. Apparently when the server has to ban someone for entering incorrect rcon passes it crashes the entire thing. And then it doesn't keep the person banned.

Now, you can think I'm lying if you want and you can even ban me if you want, but I'll be hella disappointed because I love playing in that server. I'm not so stupid that I would knowingly post me trying to hack your server lol.

Thanks again for your time and I'm sorry I didn't know ahead of time what was actually happening.

-Jess

lol I'll be sure to do that.

The bigger issue imo is that the server crashed. Not banning the person is a problem too, but you don't want your server crashing left and right. I'll make damn sure I'm not ever the cause of it again lol but there are people out there who would actually try to guess your rcon pass. I don't know how you can fix it but the first step in fixing anything is knowing what's wrong.

So good luck and I'll see you all in game :)

-Jess

Decoy is a guy that thinks he can get out of this mess acting like a girl and blaming everything on "his" boyfriend.

1. Who would your "boyfriend" bound a key to 9 besides the menu selection key.

2. Why would you press 9 five times in a long period of time in the voteban menu.

3. There are not enough players to have to press 9 five times.

4. You are obviously trying to get rcon password.

For some reason the ban list got removed.... So Dirty uploaded it again and your IP was not there. Count this as your second chance. And I would tell your BF to change the bind key to an F<1-12> key. Then the chance will go down to press it.

PS. the server Never crashed. It will just freeze up sometimes when the consol will ban someone. Making the banned user seem like the server crashed.

"PS. the server Never crashed. It will just freeze up sometimes when the console will ban someone. Making the banned user seem like the server crashed."

If the server never crashed then there are a hell of a lot of people who had client time outs and then couldn't get back in for some strange reason... Soon as I got into the server, no more than 15 minutes later, there were about 12 people in the server and I asked them if it crashed. They said Yes. So unless you have a log for that day and that time saying it never went down don't call bullshit with nothing to back you up.

"Count this as your second chance."

Look, I never was banned... I never went through my FIRST chance lol. And if you think my post somehow proves that I'm trying to hack your server then why the Clark would I post something like that? I didn't need any of your help to get unbanned. I didn't post that first post to get anything from anyone. I posted it to make you aware of a problem with the server.

Next up..

"Decoy is a guy that thinks he can get out of this mess acting like a girl and blaming everything on "his" boyfriend.

2. Why would you press 9 five times in a long period of time in the voteban menu.

4. You are obviously trying to get rcon password. "

First of all, you don't know me. I honestly don't give a damn if you think I'm a girl or not. I am, but if you want to think I'm a guy go right on and think it. I'm not here looking for a bf. And I'm not here looking for pity or an unban. Once again, I am NOT banned and NEVER was... I don't know what mess you seem to think I'm in.

Secondly, do some research before calling someone a liar. When the 9 key is bound to rcon password it does NOT work for your voteban menu. Or at the very least it didn't work on my computer. I pressed both 9 and 0 trying to either make the voteban menu work so I could see more people or close out of it since I couldn't get it to work. When neither worked I figured it was lagging so yeah I hit 9 more than would've normally been necessary but not because I was trying to guess an RCON pass.

And lastly, I don't know why he chose to bind 9 instead of some other key. Maybe I'll ask him, but honestly I don't give a damn why he chose that key... it makes as much sense to me to choose that key as any other.

Now that I've had to deal with yet another guy who doesn't think girls play games... I came here to help out a server I really like. I don't feel I should have to defend myself at every turn for telling you guys about a problem I discovered when most of the people in that server wouldn't have even bothered to tell you. Obviously the circumstances that led me to the problem are odd and maybe you'll never have a problem with this glitch again. I hope not, but it's a popular server and it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to hack into it. You guys are welcome to completely ignore this thread and not do a damn thing about it... I've done all I can do and now its in your hands.

So, once again, good luck and I hope you get this fixed.

-Jess

If the rcon password is bound to 9, and you open the voteban menu and try to move into the next menu(9), you will attempt the rcon password. Multiple attempts to move through the voteban menu means multiple attempts at the rcon password. You try enough, it bans you.

We don't have a problem to fix, you do.

Im voting Decoy is a girl just based on the fact that I didn't hear anything dirtier than "damn" in this whole post.

"PS. the server Never crashed. It will just freeze up sometimes when the console will ban someone. Making the banned user seem like the server crashed."

If the server never crashed then there are a hell of a lot of people who had client time outs and then couldn't get back in for some strange reason... Soon as I got into the server, no more than 15 minutes later, there were about 12 people in the server and I asked them if it crashed. They said Yes. So unless you have a log for that day and that time saying it never went down don't call bullshit with nothing to back you up.

"Count this as your second chance."

Look, I never was banned... I never went through my FIRST chance lol. And if you think my post somehow proves that I'm trying to hack your server then why the Clark would I post something like that? I didn't need any of your help to get unbanned. I didn't post that first post to get anything from anyone. I posted it to make you aware of a problem with the server.

Next up..

"Decoy is a guy that thinks he can get out of this mess acting like a girl and blaming everything on "his" boyfriend.

4. You are obviously trying to get rcon password. "

First of all, you don't know me. I honestly don't give a damn if you think I'm a girl or not. I am, but if you want to think I'm a guy go right on and think it. I'm not here looking for a bf. And I'm not here looking for pity or an unban. Once again, I am NOT banned and NEVER was... I don't know what mess you seem to think I'm in.

Secondly, do some research before calling someone a liar. When the 9 key is bound to rcon password it does NOT work for your voteban menu. Or at the very least it didn't work on my computer. I pressed both 9 and 0 trying to either make the voteban menu work so I could see more people or close out of it since I couldn't get it to work. When neither worked I figured it was lagging so yeah I hit 9 more than would've normally been necessary but not because I was trying to guess an RCON pass.

And lastly, I don't know why he chose to bind 9 instead of some other key. Maybe I'll ask him, but honestly I don't give a damn why he chose that key... it makes as much sense to me to choose that key as any other.

Now that I've had to deal with yet another guy who doesn't think girls play games... I came here to help out a server I really like. I don't feel I should have to defend myself at every turn for telling you guys about a problem I discovered when most of the people in that server wouldn't have even bothered to tell you. Obviously the circumstances that led me to the problem are odd and maybe you'll never have a problem with this glitch again. I hope not, but it's a popular server and it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to hack into it. You guys are welcome to completely ignore this thread and not do a damn thing about it... I've done all I can do and now its in your hands.

So, once again, good luck and I hope you get this fixed.

-Jess

If the rcon password is bound to 9, and you open the voteban menu and try to move into the next menu(9), you will attempt the rcon password. Multiple attempts to move through the voteban menu means multiple attempts at the rcon password. You try enough, it bans you.

We don't have a problem to fix, you do.

the problem is:

1.) It didn't ban her.

2.) It crashed after trying to ban her.

Obviously its a problem with the script and I will look at it, with my limited knowledge of eventscripts. Maybe if I can't figure it out, someone on mattie.info will know, because this sounds like a critical problem.

I pressed both 9 and 0 trying to either make the voteban menu work so I could see more people or close out of it since I couldn't get it to work. When neither worked I figured it was lagging so yeah I hit 9 more than would've normally been necessary but not because I was trying to guess an RCON pass.

This makes sense, and is exactly what would happen if she was trying to navigate the voteban menu but the keys were bound to an rcon instead of a menu number.

I don't know why he chose to bind 9 instead of some other key. Maybe I'll ask him, but honestly I don't give a damn why he chose that key... it makes as much sense to me to choose that key as any other.

As strange as it seems at first glance, it does make sense to bind this keys to the numbers in certain circumstances:

1.) Obviously if somebody did bind a key to "rcon_password XXXXXX" then it would imply that he had his own server.

2.) If he had his own server, then he would likely not have to voteban anyone.

3.) I find it faster to type "status" in console, copy a wrongdoer's SteamID, and then type something like "ma_kick/ma_ban 30 STEAM_0:X:XXXXXXX" rather than using the menu system. I'm sure there are other people who feel the same way, and thus, if they spend most of their time on their own server, they would have little use for numbers 3 through 0, as they would not be using any menus.

And if you think my post somehow proves that I'm trying to hack your server then why the Clark would I post something like that? I didn't need any of your help to get unbanned. I didn't post that first post to get anything from anyone. I posted it to make you aware of a problem with the server.

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the problem.

Edited by HT | bort

Haha thanks Bort, I'm so glad someone understood what I was saying.

My boyfriend plays competitively so he doesn't play in public servers much and doesn't have to use the voteban option.

It's good to hear you'll take a look at it, I wouldn't want that kind of glitch in my own server.

I'm done with this thread so I hope you all can get things sorted and I'll see you ingame :)

Ciao

-Jess