Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Need Some Ideas

Kiri-Jolith

Hey everyone. I'm looking at building a new desktop. Budget of $1000. I need everything but a monitor, keyboard, mouse, power supply, or harddrives. If anybody could give me a decent setup with a nice looking case for under $1000 it would be much appreciated! Would prefer it to be a gaming setup, which I know may cost a bit more. Oh, and I want it to be a desktop too lol, no laptops!

Thanks for the help,

Kiri

Edited by Kiri-Jolith

Good follow up slaz, Also kiri, do you plan on building this yourself ? or having someone else build it for you? When Built my computer it took me a good 2 weeks to get everything running stable on multiple manufacturers parts. Take that into consideration, as well as the attention to detail on the actually installation and plugin difficulties. I think Terry might be able to help you out here on your search

Both Cef and Slaz have picked out good cases since that's what you're looking for. You don't want one with a ton of space, just a compact one with good ventilation.

If you go bigger than mid tower they are a bitch to clean.

I have a CM HAF 932 and i dread cleaning it. :unsure:

I use this stuff currently, and it works great for games at highest res 1920X1080 plenty of fps

CASE :)

CPU :)

MOBO :)

GRAHPICS :)

RAM :)

CPU FAN :)

$$ 650 there, you're not building a server just playing games, you dont need to spend 1k on this

Edited by Never trust a hippie

Oh, Billy, just because you had a bad experience with AMD/ATI doesn't mean others will. Oh, and to let you know, I CAN'T AFFORD MORE THAN THE BUDGET I HAVE. I'm not a fucking rich ass like you. I'm a poor ass college student with a kid on the way and this budget is the most i can afford so stfu with your bigotry and gtfo.

SHUT THE FUCK UP JOHN. THINK ABOUT IT DOES ANYBODY WANT UR OPINION? WTF DID I DO TO YOU THAT U HAVE TO GO ON EACH THREAD I POST ON AND INSULT ME FOR NO REASON?

I want John's opinion. At least today I do. So far his opinion is well thought out and actually based on empirical data, in comparison to some others I could mention.

(I agree with Terry's breakdown of parts)

THINK ABOUT IT DOES ANYBODY WANT UR OPINION?

Of course I want his opinion. Billy....John is great.

Stop flaming and take it elsewhere...this is a serious thread about getting a setup for Kiri. If you don't have anything sensible or well thought-out to add, don't hit the Post Reply button.

Of course I want his opinion. Billy....John is great.

Stop flaming and take it elsewhere...this is a serious thread about getting a setup for Kiri. If you don't have anything sensible or well thought-out to add, don't hit the Post Reply button.

Maybe it is the wrong place to flame but this wouldn't have happened if John didn't go off topic and start saying stupid shit about me. I was just trying to help Kiri just as much as everyone else.

Guest The_Monkey

I noticed people posting up Raptors for the HDDs....my suggestion to you (the solution I use) may cost the same, with equal performance, and more space.

Setup a 4 disk stripe (RAID 0). it is very very fast.

Billy and John chill out. I've been building pcs myself since I was in high school. I've learned a bit since then and I can tell you that amd/ati was not the problem Billy. You have no idea what you're talking bout, stay put of

the tech threads.

Terry well I gotta admit mebe for that budget an AMD/ATI is better but if you want a real good computer you have to get Nvidia/Intel

I noticed people posting up Raptors for the HDDs....my suggestion to you (the solution I use) may cost the same, with equal performance, and more space.

Setup a 4 disk stripe (RAID 0). it is very very fast.

Striping high speed drives is good for speed, but I still say that data you want to keep (photos, music, anything for work, etc.) should be backed quite well. Best standards for backups is to have data in more than 2 places for safeguarding, so that means maybe backing up to an external drive from time to time as well as having a hardware RAID 1 to have a mirrored pair of drives for at least one drive pair.

Paranoia has always been really good to me. Just a thought :)

Also, x2 to Devistator.

Striping high speed drives is good for speed, but I still say that data you want to keep (photos, music, anything for work, etc.) should be backed quite well. Best standards for backups is to have data in more than 2 places for safeguarding, so that means maybe backing up to an external drive from time to time as well as having a hardware RAID 1 to have a mirrored pair of drives for at least one drive pair.

Also, x2 to Devistator.

If its a gaming computer i would go with monkeys suggestion and just back up what ever "important" files you have onto a portable hard drive.

Guest The_Monkey

Also, x2 to Devistator.

Agreed.

I keep all of my crap on my server that has 2 separate RAID 5's (one 3 disk and one 4 disk).

Agreed.

I keep all of my crap on my server that has 2 separate RAID 5's (one 3 disk and one 4 disk).

A man after my own heart.

Dev - The trick with leaving your backups on an external drive is that once your drive craps out, you have a single (and probably at least a little outdated) point of failure before you have complete loss. External drives also tend to be more fault prone because they're portable and have a tendency to get bumped, so you have to be careful with them.

For paranoia's sake (might as well be the rule of thumb in IT) backing up to two locations, like a RAID and an external source (external drive or optical media) allows you to still have an additional point of failure before complete loss, AND it's still up to date since you're mirroring.

Of course, if your house burns down, your house burns down, but short of that, you're sitting fairly well.