Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Beef Up Security?

DeathVash

Ok i need programs (I don't care if I have to buy it) to help me protect myself against being keylogged and stuff. Just recently I got keylogged and lost $200 on Blackout RO. So now I want to make sure that doesn't happen to my account. Especially other ones I spent more on. So can anyone recommend me programs to help protect me?

Never, ever do this. You're asking for false positives and added potential of data corruption because of RTV scanning locks.

Also, don't use McAfee; it's almost a virus in itself. There are free solutions that are much better.

By and large, the free AV programs do plenty fine of a job. I use Avast, but I've used pretty much all of them with decent results.

For Spyware/general malware, I use MBAM. I've also had decent luck with Spybot, which is nice to have installed simply because of immunization (adds host file entries for known-bad sites. Helps you be less of a tard on the interent) and programs like TeaTimer, which prompts you to permit any change made to the registry.

For firewalls, I've stuck by ZoneAlarm free for a good long time. The program-based permissions are solid, and as a general rule, if you don't know what something is, don't allow it through. It's more difficult to have your keylogging results sent out if your firewall doesn't allow it.

If you're using Internet Explorer, STOP IT NOW. Get Firefox or (my personal favorite) Chrome. Chrome has the added perk of flagging potentially malicious sites on its own to add another layer of safety.

Above all, wear your internet condom. If something doesn't look right, don't do it. I haven't gotten a flag on my AV software in a long time because I practice safe internets.

umm, if you go to www.av-comparatives.org, you can generally get a good comparison of your common antiviral suites.

Personally, I have used Norton, McAfee, ESET, AVG, AVIRA, BitDefender, Kaspersky. From a user friendly standpoint, Norton and AVG really are the best solutions. However, they aren't the most efficient at picking up and stopping viruses.

I have found that ESET, AVIRA and Kaspersky generally do the best job (with my bias towards Avira though since it is one of the best I've seen so far).

A few more practises that can be taken into consideration:

1. Use a user account instead of your administrative account. Unfortunately, (esp. Windows XP users) will be running their full-access account to do all their stuff incl. pr0ns and warez. This opens up a big infection window...

2. Enforce UAC (if you're with Vista or Windows 7), as much as I find it annoying sometimes, it can really help esp. if you don't know what program is running)

3. Googling something and clicking the first link can be fail. =(

If you're concerned about keyloggers and malware generally, you can

1. Run updates and be paranoid about them (Windows Update can do that for you ;)

2. Run an ANTI-Keylogger program... all it does is obfuscates your keyboard electrical strokes (to this day I have not been able to find a legitimate one)

3. Use the bloody on-screen keyboard ( NOT suggested unless you have the time / touchscreen)

4. Download malware bytes and/or Spyware S&D (make sure to immunise yourself k thx?) and install it

5. If you must download warez or pr0nz, be careful of which ONES you get. For instance, most downloaded warez will probably have three different executable files (.exe) and one of them WILL probably be a virus/trojan or anything that will pwn your computer.

6. Overall just use your common sense, if you feel something is wrong; chances are you're right!

hope this helps =]

ok i am completely lost with everyones reply. I have been hearing a lot of MBAB or whatever that is. I use Norton 360 and it looks like it cleans up cookies and thats about it (I am not much of a programmer, more of user and desginer and hardware).

Anyways can u guys just list me the item with pros and cons.

I know keylogging and cant find a good program for that.

I don't know much about spyware (only know ppl can see ur info) and the rest like malware and other stuff idk. Noob talk for me plz?

ok i am completely lost with everyones reply. I have been hearing a lot of MBAB or whatever that is. I use Norton 360 and it looks like it cleans up cookies and thats about it (I am not much of a programmer, more of user and desginer and hardware).

Anyways can u guys just list me the item with pros and cons.

I know keylogging and cant find a good program for that.

I don't know much about spyware (only know ppl can see ur info) and the rest like malware and other stuff idk. Noob talk for me plz?

That was newb talk.

1. Install Avast

2. Install ZoneAlarm Free

3. Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

4. Install Spybot (and teatimer when prompted) followed by running updates and using the immunize function.

5. If you're using Internet Explorer, you're an idiot. Use Chrome or Firefox

6. Most importantly, if it doesn't look like you should be doing something, don't do it.

don't download anything you don't trust 100% and you will be fine without an anti-virus, if you do download stuff you don't trust your pretty much screwed anyways

That's not entirely true. You're still vulnerable to scripted actions on questionable websites and a ton of other things you might not have done through a deliberate action. Anti-virus exists for a reason.

At the very least, an idle computer with zero protection is still very vulnerable to worms.

That was newb talk.

1. Install Avast

2. Install ZoneAlarm Free

3. Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

4. Install Spybot (and teatimer when prompted) followed by running updates and using the immunize function.

5. If you're using Internet Explorer, you're an idiot. Use Chrome or Firefox

6. Most importantly, if it doesn't look like you should be doing something, don't do it.

That's not entirely true. You're still vulnerable to scripted actions on questionable websites and a ton of other things you might not have done through a deliberate action. Anti-virus exists for a reason.

At the very least, an idle computer with zero protection is still very vulnerable to worms.

All good ideas, except the first one. Never ever, under any circumstance should you install Avast. Just about anything you place on your computer will read as a virus. The false positives generated by Avast make it almost impossible to tell what is an actual virus and what is not (There have been cases where it has detected OS required programs as viruses). Also there is a reason why there is Free AV's and Paid AV's. I would suggest you invest money in the latter for a security Suite like Kaspersky.

All good ideas, except the first one. Never ever, under any circumstance should you install Avast. Just about anything you place on your computer will read as a virus. The false positives generated by Avast make it almost impossible to tell what is an actual virus and what is not (There have been cases where it has detected OS required programs as viruses). Also there is a reason why there is Free AV's and Paid AV's. I would suggest you invest money in the latter for a security Suite like Kaspersky.

The difference is really that one company wants to turn a profit on everything and the other company wants to turn a profit on most things. The AV engine is typically almost identical between free and paid versions of a piece of software because they want you to BUY something. Remember when McAfee corporate shitcanned critical system files? That's very much a paid product that is years behind everyone else. Furthermore, every anti-malware software has strengths and weaknesses. Some kick false-positives because they're almost too intrusive. Some are heavy on system resources, but have great heuristics. Some are obnoxiously difficult to navigate from a UI standpoint. IMO, I'd rather have solid RTV scanning detection that prevents malware from even being loaded over pretty much anything else, and Avast still does that right.

As far as false positives go, I haven't had a single one in 18 months, but maybe that's just me. I HAVE seen AV heuristics changes flag somewhat obscure programs/services, such as Teracopy and compiled AutoIT scripts, but shit happens to everyone and they get it patched.

Point being, just get one of the major players. I don't really care which one, just as long is you have one.

i format my home computer every 2-3 months and only do banking stuff on my work laptop which never goes to any other internet sites.

i have never typed my credit card number into my home computer.

i'll be damned if i go back to using an antivirus program at home. i can't stand it when i'm gaming and then all of a sudden get 10 minutes of hardware lag only to find that some stupid antivirus program decided it would be a good time to use 75% of my cpu.

Edited by adomorn