Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Computer freezing

Blitzkrieg

So recently my computer, when preforming easy tasks like opening a browser page, will lock up for like 30 seconds. After it is finished with it's tantrum, i open up task manager and go to the performance tab and i see this: cpu_problems.png

I know it's not my hard drive being full because i formatted it last week. I don't have any virus's or other problems like that according to Avast and malwarebytes.

EDIT: Just updated my BIOS, gonna play around for a bit, see if that was the problem.

halp

-Specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

Memory: 4gb

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

Hard Drive: 460 GB Western Digital

If you need other information, let me know.

Edited by Blitzkrieg

Sorry Terry, i havn't looked at this post for awhile and i didn't see your post. I finally got angry and tired of trying stuff and took it to Geek Squad. My problem befuddled the guy and he said he would run his tune up service and if he couldn't fix it will be free. So i'll let you know what happens with that.

Thanks

Sorry Terry, i havn't looked at this post for awhile and i didn't see your post. I finally got angry and tired of trying stuff and took it to Geek Squad. My problem befuddled the guy and he said he would run his tune up service and if he couldn't fix it will be free. So i'll let you know what happens with that.

Thanks

thank you for contacting geek squad where we fuck your shit up for you! hard drive failure? its ok we'll put so much junk on it, you won't be able to even use it anymore! Cpu fan slowing down? Its ok, i'll completely stop it with my penis and burn your processor out too. Monitor with dead pixels? its ok man MAGNETS HOW DO THEY WORK?

that'll be $300

thank you for contacting geek squad where we fuck your shit up for you! hard drive failure? its ok we'll put so much junk on it, you won't be able to even use it anymore! Cpu fan slowing down? Its ok, i'll completely stop it with my penis and burn your processor out too. Monitor with dead pixels? its ok man MAGNETS HOW DO THEY WORK?

that'll be $300

A typical Geek Squad employee.

1278008971622s.jpg

Those dips where the graph drops down below 30MBS is the problem. Something is wrong, not sure what exactly. Usually opening an application or something running would cause that.Your average transfer rate is descent. I ASSUME you knew to close down every app and not open anything while the test was running?

Considering you've just reformatted the cheapest fix will be try a different cable. If its still dipping down I would run the test on that hard drive on another computer if possible.

Try running the "error scan" and see if it picks up anything.

My problem befuddled the guy and he said he would run his tune up service and if he couldn't fix it will be free. So i'll let you know what happens with that.

Thanks

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, that hurt my integrity as someone that fixes computers for people once in a blue moon. Geek Squad white flag and all.

This may be a silly question, but I couldn't find SMART results in that app. Did anyone actually run a SMART test on that hard drive and see what numbers it kicked back? I lost a testing box at work because it was exhibiting similar symptoms (Slow as balls. Always.) and SMART said the spin-up time and seek times were in the 20s. Not a failed hard drive, but one that needs to be thrown out.

If you can't find something that works while in OS, I know UBCD and Hiren's both have an app for that on them.