Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Getting new computer

BlackEyes

Well my b-day is coming up on November 28 and first I wanted to get a new graphics card but it seems that as we were searching all the info we could for the graphics card I wanted wouldn't be able to fit in my computer because it doesn't have the right slot. Therefore I'm getting a new Alienware computer for as cheap as a the graphics card that I wanted (My family isn't rich ^^). So the alienware pc that I'm getting happens to have 3 gb ram, geforce 9800 graphics card, duel core processor, and 250 gb hardware space. Therefore, I will be happy with getting a very good gaming computer for as cheap as $250. Now I can get an fps higher than my average 50! :D

lol nice. I am building my new comp. I am getting a new motherboard and CPU (the mother board i have is amd and i am getting a Intel CPU)then since i just got my 9800 i will have to upgrade my power supply then once i get some more money i will get a 500 gig hard drive. I had great ram and don't need any more for what i will use my comp for. So no need up grading it. All of this is costing me about 450 <-- depending on how much power i want. I may go for 700 WATS but if it get to expensive i am going for 650 WATS

I gave my desktop to my brother which was a piece of shit but great at gaming because it was an emachine (LOL) that I got 3 years ago but was UPGRADED to the max. Ran most games without problems, some at high settings without any lag. Recently in January of this year purchased the x205 series for Toshiba, similar to the link below...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=toshiba+x205&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15545754875766128244&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&resnum=3&ct=result#ps-tech-specs

Manufacturer:

TOSHIBA

Processor:

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz

Memory:

2046MB RAM

Hard Drive:

248 GB

Video Card:

NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT

Monitor:

Generic PnP Monitor

Sound Card:

Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Speakers/Headphones:

Keyboard:

USB Root Hub

Mouse:

USB Root Hub

Mouse Surface:

Operating System:

Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071023-1545)

Motherboard:

Computer Case:

Ye a laptop for gaming. Well, it has a nice built in webcam with a built in mic and it has very nice speakers that are LOUD. I figured, I can carry it around on wireless, take it out on the porch, and even go on the road with my verizon wireless card. I can, but it's still NOT a great laptop and I REGRET purchasing it. Even if it's nice for watching shows in bed with it etc....it's still NOT a desktop. Next time, I'll know to go for a desktop which I could have spent 600-1,000 for a very nice gaming desktop over a laptop that went up to 75C tonight temperature wise and cost me 1,500.00 to buy. The temperature, well it worries me. I hear 60-80c while gaming is normal but eh. Right now it's 53C. I bought it this year mind you. I've been having problems tonight with it. Connection problems on the server, graphical issues here and there, etc.. I know it's probably due to something with the laptop...better NOT be overheating. I have a cooling fan under it but it has a short in it for some gayass reason, so really need to get another one soon. The laptop is good for gaming it's just eh, desktops are always going to be way better and can be upgraded.

Anyways, nice specs on your desktops and grats to both of you when you get them. Btw, love Alienware. Can't go wrong with them.

Edited by Satyricon

Well my b-day is coming up on November 28 and first I wanted to get a new graphics card but it seems that as we were searching all the info we could for the graphics card I wanted wouldn't be able to fit in my computer because it doesn't have the right slot. Therefore I'm getting a new Alienware computer for as cheap as a the graphics card that I wanted (My family isn't rich ^^). So the alienware pc that I'm getting happens to have 3 gb ram, geforce 9800 graphics card, duel core processor, and 250 gb hardware space. Therefore, I will be happy with getting a very good gaming computer for as cheap as $250. Now I can get an fps higher than my average 50! :D

Alienware is a name and a style, thats what you pay for. $250 has to be used, and probably bought off ebay. Make sure you read the fine print, its $250 for the box. :P

Build your own, its cheaper and you can get more for you buck.

Find Jesus.

Yayyyyy, My dad won the bid!!

I thought I lost all hope because he was at my Uncles house. My mom was saying she didn't get it but my dad sniped it at last minute. http://cgi.ebay.com/ALIENWARE-gaming-computer-6000-3gb-250hd-lightscribe_W0QQitemZ330285826828QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item330285826828&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318 There is the link. My dad bought it with a 10% discount :D Look at the specs :D

That pc comes with a 8500gt not a 9800gt. You will have to buy the card which isn't that much, but since they didn't say what the power supply had you may want to make sure it has about 550-600 wats. That should be enough for a 9800gt and your other components. As for me I am under power once I get my CPU so I get to buy a 700 wat power supply. Hopefully the rig gets there safe. If it is going buy airline you will have a problem because they don't give a rat ass to you stuff. But if it is traveling by truck. It, hopefully, gets there safe.

Have fun once you get the computer!!!!

Also with the 8500gt it is a good card. I had it in my comp for 2 years. No problems and could run all the games I wanted on High, except Crysis and other hard games. As long as your CPU is good, I don't really like amd but that isn't a bad one, then you should get about 50-60 fps in css. I have a horrible cpu, amd, and I got 60 average. 90+ on low populated servers.

Haha I was lucky enough to get it at the last second. My dad was saying forget about it because my Mom was bidding on it in the first place. But than my dad gets a 10% off coupon and than bids on it at the last minute. I wouldn't count on it breaking that easily.. its already in the box right now and it has the case around the pc. and its in rectangular shape. the worst thing to happen is if something sharp keeps ramming into the side of it.

Haha I was lucky enough to get it at the last second. My dad was saying forget about it because my Mom was bidding on it in the first place. But than my dad gets a 10% off coupon and than bids on it at the last minute. I wouldn't count on it breaking that easily.. its already in the box right now and it has the case around the pc. and its in rectangular shape. the worst thing to happen is if something sharp keeps ramming into the side of it.

You should have bought the pieces 1 by 1... With 550$ I could've made a better pc :/.

Well for one, it is the computer and everything inside it. It lists everything inside it also. It isnt off ebay. The person selling it is very well known for selling good gaming computers. He is just one of those people who are givers instead of getters <3

Lawl, I thought you said it wasn't ebay? You know the guy and hes a giver not a getter eh? lol

Its an "Alienware Case."

Its not bad but, the video card will need to be upgraded. You only have 1 pci-xpress slot, 3 gigs of pc6400 memory is really cheap, and not enough, its only a dual core @ 2gig.

NVIDIA® SLI™ Technology:

Delivers up to 2x the performance of a single graphics card configuration for unequaled gaming experiences by allowing two graphics cards to run in parallel. The must-have feature for performance PCI Express® graphics, SLI dramatically scales performance on today's hottest games. NVIDIA SLI Technology is not available on GeForce 8400 GPUs.

He states this, but you are unable to do so..dunno if you can get money back on that, because he also states "1-pciXslot"

I am not bashing your computer, but you will not be able to run many of the newer games, nor will cs run more that 30-50 frames in battle, maybe less depending on maps.

This might be better than what you are playing on now, so thats all good. Get more memory, it says up to 16gig....get MORE!

And upgrade your video, which you can spend about $200 additional and geta nice one. But you can honestly build way cheaper and go quad cores...

But if you had a lower grade system, this will run CS better.

Edited by vandium

Well I'm confused here, My computer right now has a AMD Sempron Processor 3100+ MMX 3dNow 1.8ghz, 1 GB Ram, Radeon 1600 video card, 512 mb video card memory. With it I can achieve atleast 20-30 fps when like 5 people in my screen are shooting. And without I get about 30-80 when just starting at walls etc and ground

Well I'm confused here, My computer right now has a AMD Sempron Processor 3100+ MMX 3dNow 1.8ghz, 1 GB Ram, Radeon 1600 video card, 512 mb video card memory. With it I can achieve atleast 20-30 fps when like 5 people in my screen are shooting. And without I get about 30-80 when just starting at walls etc and ground

Your processor will now be doubled, your memory will be tripled but is also faster, and your videocard is now will run about the same as your new videocard, won't be much difference...DDR2 is DDR2.

You should see 25-40 in larger battles (maybe less) and probably 40-10 (maybe more than 100, but staring at the sky.)

CS is a weird game, it doesn't look THAT good, but requires a lot of power. (your cheapest upgrade now is memory, you can find a good deal for 2 gigs for about 80$ probably.)

But him using the "ALIENWARE" has placed a false perception on that PC. You would do better paying someone 50$ to build you one, there are plenty of people will to build you a nice one for $50-$100. (plus the $500-$600 for parts)

Computers get outdated very quick, I have not done any research on your motherboard, it may support quad cores. Just don't expect this thing to BLAZE, as it won't even run CRYSIS well AT ALL. This computer is about 2-3yrs old maybe. (technology wise)

Sorry

Edited by vandium