Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

how to stop L4d from freezing

bort

sometimes people experience L4D freezing for a few seconds every minute or so.

like the audio and the video freezes. if your on vent or skype if somebody is talking while it freezes it will sound like a broken record for them.

and then a few seconds later it goes back to perfectly normal. this is not a lag issue or a low FPS issue.

if this happens to you go into video settings and disable multi-core rendering.

problem finally solved

thanx :D yeah some PCs dont have the problem. also i think if u dont have a multi-core CPU, u wont see it either

theres another similar problem with CSS too if u have a multi-core CPU. (some PCs dont have this problem)

if u turn on cl_showfps 1 u will see your FPS in the top of the screen and it will be green and red. like it will keep switchign from green FPS to red FPS several times per second. it make it choppy to play, but what u do to fix it is

• press CTRL+ALT+DEL and open Task Manager.
  • find HL2.exe on the Processes tab
  • right click and do Processor afinity
  • only check one core. it doesnt matter which one.

Now the cores wont fight over it, and the FPS will be all green not red and it wont be choppy any more

f24a4e1d1fa421237b93af6d217bda33.PNG

c67e4a055526a119ff201611642b3485.PNG

Pretty much, you get unlucky if you have to work around this. I don't bitch much about it, because I used to support a major piece of accounting software, of which would crash during database rebuilds unless you set the affinity on certain computers. It's something that's usually fixed on accident :/

sometimes people experience L4D freezing for a few seconds every minute or so.

like the audio and the video freezes. if your on vent or skype if somebody is talking while it freezes it will sound like a broken record for them.

and then a few seconds later it goes back to perfectly normal. this is not a lag issue or a low FPS issue.

if this happens to you go into video settings and disable multi-core rendering.

problem finally solved

I figured hits out a few nights ago, and NOW you post this. You are too late.

theres another similar problem with CSS too if u have a multi-core CPU. (some PCs dont have this problem)

if u turn on cl_showfps 1 u will see your FPS in the top of the screen and it will be green and red. like it will keep switchign from green FPS to red FPS several times per second. it make it choppy to play, but what u do to fix it is

• press CTRL+ALT+DEL and open Task Manager.
  • find HL2.exe on the Processes tab
  • right click and do Processor afinity
  • only check one core. it doesnt matter which one.

Now the cores wont fight over it, and the FPS will be all green not red and it wont be choppy any more

To add to Bort's already helpful thread, this is an AMD dual core CPU issue, I had this on my old setup. There are also a few fixes for it.

The two easiest fixes are. (other than setting affinity)

The Microsoft Hotfix

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C2AB5A48-8240-4934-BBD8-34FB8A0FCE3B

The AMD Dual Core Optimizer

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html