Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Order of punishment modification?

Strummer

I know in the admin rules/a sticky in the jailbreak forum saying the order of punishment should be slay/warn, slay/teamswitch and kick if they switch back to CT, then temp ban if they switch back again.

Since I started adminning a few weeks ago, and before that when I played, admins have always said switchback = ban.

I don't think all of them will stop that, so I propose that the order for freekilling to be slay and warn, slay and teamswitch after one or two more offenses, and instead of saying switchback=ban, say something like stay on T for awhile, if you switch back to CT, temp ban. Or even a simple switchback=temp ban rather than just ban. It probably comes off as a bit hostile, suggesting a permanent ban as well, when you say switch back = ban and it might just seem to new players that HG is full of, you break the rules once, you get permabanned type of stuff.

With everything else I think the order is fine, such as with mic spam, chat spam, etc., but with the teamswitching thing, I think it should stay ban, not kick.

I just think it needs to be stated that it is a temporary ban, or a 1 hour ban or something. Even just a 30 minute ban would do it. Saying just you will get banned for switching back could come off as intimidating.

Thoughts?

Personally, as an admin, If a player Freekills, I will slay, and warn. If he does it again, then I slay/teamswitch, then if he rejoins to CT, I ban for 1-2 hours depending on how serious the freekilling was beforehand.

Where is a kick going to help, when a CT freekills, gets switched, and then kicked? They will return straight away, and more than likely join CT again, and if this hasn't been noticed, they will more often than not freekill again, which is why I ban, instead of kick.

I want to see, what other admins do in this situation, but from what I have seen before, almost all admins will ban, if a CT has freekilled, gets switched, and then rejoins CT almost instantly.

Strummer, you totally beat me to this post. I also think saying switch back= ban is a bit harsh for someone that has messed up as a ct. I never liked saying it, so instead I say

"<persons name> Please stay on T for 2-3 rounds"

I don't even mention banning and you get a much better response from them, instead of the person being butthurt and massfking. The real problem causers are constant hlss mic spammers and mass freekillers.

Kill em with kindness, thats what I say. It sounds like your extremely angry when you say switch back = ban. Don't let them think they got U MAD BRO because that's what some just might want.

But good job bringing this topic up before me.

Edited by Never trust a hippie

Your gonna see if you havn't already a slight decline of players in JB since summer is ending and school is starting. Do what you can to keep it as populated as possible.

52 ppl with 5 being admins on is okay. But if there's less players and the same amount of admins then we might wanna check ourselves.

Seriously, the server can have more than a quarter of it being admins sometimes.

The Bind I use when warning a Player to stay T is:

"Stay T, Or receive a Free ticket to 'Bansville, HG Headquarters', courtesy of HG admins."

That's less harsh, than saying

"Stay T or Ban"

Plus, the server gets a little joke about it saying, i've heard bansville is nice* this time of year, to which i respond "It has 14ft of snowfall every day" :)

I used to be all switchback=ban but I have seen a few posts about it and been talked to a little about it so I thought it over. I don't think kicking for switching back is good enough, but yeah we should be nicer about it. It would also give a better image of HG as a whole. I'm not sure if it is an issue on other servers, but lightening up the mood would prove beneficial to all I think.

And awwik, why is your name not the same red as veterans? Haha I just noticed that. It's like in between the color of [HG] and HG | ?

Ohh nevermind I got it. Event manager that's why haha

I have had people insta-rejoin back to ct when I switch them to t. Makes me a lil I MAD BRO. That's when I hand out the ban, but usually I just switch to t. I'm a bit lazy, so I don't give out the warning, but I do give a reason to the switch.

For instance, pretend eggfried here wasn't an admin and shoots his awp into a crowd. He fk's like 3 people, idk. Damn awpers headshot like 5 people sometimes. Anyway, I slay and switch, then type out "Don't shoot into crowds, eggfriedcheese" usually in normal chat. He'd see it if I were dead or alive. I usually try to type it out when chat isn't being spammed to death, so that it gets seen.

Usually effective and gives the person a chance to cool down while being fk'd by other downie cts.

I have had people insta-rejoin back to ct when I switch them to t. Makes me a lil I MAD BRO. That's when I hand out the ban, but usually I just switch to t. I'm a bit lazy, so I don't give out the warning, but I do give a reason to the switch.

For instance, pretend eggfried here wasn't an admin and shoots his awp into a crowd. He fk's like 3 people, idk. Damn awpers headshot like 5 people sometimes. Anyway, I slay and switch, then type out "Don't shoot into crowds, eggfriedcheese" usually in normal chat. He'd see it if I were dead or alive. I usually try to type it out when chat isn't being spammed to death, so that it gets seen.

Usually effective and gives the person a chance to cool down while being fk'd by other downie cts.

Yeah I'm not suggesting not to temp ban for switching back when you explicitly said not to, but to be less hostile about it, instead of SWITCHBACK=BAN without actually stating the reason even. I use all chat more now, but if chat is being spammed I'll msay it. Normally I try to only use msay when I have to because I have heard it lags players but it has never lagged me.

I also use @@private chat, it shows up bright green to the person. If we start being nice about it maybe they won't go all ragequit off the server like I have seen.

Please read the entire thread

-Warn verbally and through admin chat.

-Slap once to get their attention if necessary.

-Slay if they do not slay themselves or if they continue to freekill.

-Swap to T team (ONLY WHEN THEY ARE DEAD!!)

-Kick with a message "Stay on T" or something if they swap back to CT.

-Temp ban if they continue to cause trouble and post a T-list request.

So Doobie clearly indicates you must kick the offender first with a message "Stay On T" (or something to that effect).

If you have been banning people when they switch back to CT (the first time obv.), then you are not following the admin guidelines for this.

This is something I've noticed ( when I'm playing failbreak :S) that a lot of admins neglect to do.

So a friendly reminder here.

The Punishment Order does not need to change. It is just and has worked for most cases.

In the severe case where the offender doesn't want to stay T, you can always request for a T-List here providing proof and the template etc... We have a lot of moderators (plus Staff/Council) in the Jailbreak T-List section that would be happy to T-List people for you.

We should avoid banning people if it is not necessary. Some CTs don't read/understand right away... you should be kicking them with the message so they get it. There is absolutely no excuse to not do this (with the exception of mass-freekilling, which auto-T-Lists in most cases).

If they rejoin and purposely join CT, then you have reason to ban them... 2 hours at most nothing more...

Making a Tlist report requires proof, and that would mean trying to record a demo, after the player has committed the offence.

I can't record demo's 24/7, due to my PC's FPS dropping to 1-2 then crashing out. (With the demo's i've recorded, they've been no longer than about 2-3 mins)

I can't see how trying to get proof of the player, after they have committed any freekilling/teamswitching, is really going to do anything.

Kicking isn't going to help, as i've said prior to this, as the player instantly rejoins after being kicked, or if the player has a name made of symbols which sometimes /kick "Name" doesn't work, as the system can't recognise the symbol... therefore we have to kick via the menu, and are unable to give a reason... If we do kick, then the player almost always rejoins CT, and as such, has the oportunity again to freekill. Whereas a temp ban would solve this, even 30 minutes.

I think as an idea, there needs to be an addon in-built into the server, to make all new players read the rules, then agree to them, or make them play at least 5 hours as T, until they grasp the way to play CT.

That's my view of the situation anyway.

I think as an idea, there needs to be an addon in-built into the server, to make all new players read the rules, then agree to them, or make them play at least 5 hours as T, until they grasp the way to play CT.

That's my view of the situation anyway.

ya i agree with eggfried cheese cause usually during the middle of the afternoon theres a lot of new people who like to come in that dont know how to play and end up freekilling or whatever might be the reason for the switch. i remember playing in a server that if you were switched to T you were forced to stay T for about 10 rounds then after you were allowed to switch back and if further problems occured you were banned. I thought it was a pretty cool idea and along with that we would have our T list program which works amazingly.

Edited by ScubaSteve

Its not as bad in the afternoons anymore, because all of the youngsters are back in school, so admining the situation is easier. When it comes to the evening though... it gets worse, as 1. there are more people on average on the server, and 2. there are many more freekillers/micspammers/rulebreaks.

If crosshair can do that teamrestrict thing, that would be amazing. I can't see there being a way to avoid this, but the only problem is, if there are no regulars on the server at the time, and people join, they will be locked onto T, with no CT's available/allowed to play, but even so, i think the restricting teamswitch thing is cool, and should be implemented.

I think I can solve all of this by making sm_teamswitch lock the persons team.

Maybe make it to where if they get switched, they stay team-locked for about 5 rounds, then they are able to switch back. Display a message to them maybe explaining the lock length.

EXCELLENT idea.

That would be phenomenal, it would eliminate all the headaches about admins banning. And @ enigma, I know thats what it says but it is never effective. I tried it for a couple days and even with the stay on T message, they come back, join CT. I don't think it would be so bad to do a temp ban if you tell them how long they have to stay on T for and be nice about it. 30 minute ban.

If crosshair made teamswitch lock the team for 5 or 10 rounds that would be epic awesome.

I agree. I was speaking from when I played Jailbreak.

Most people were receptive to me kindly asking them to stay CT. However, you are right. I did have the stubborn ones stay CT, in which, bans are usually acceptable.

I'm not sure if all Admins (I think trusted/T-List mods only have it) but you can t-List people on the spot if you have the privilege to do it.

Command is:

!tlist "STEAM_ID"

This will typically keep the offender T-Listed for a day.

Like I said in the beginning, you can always create a report and we can t-list them for you. I think we have 13 mods for the T-List thread. Most of which are aware of t-list rules. They are usually on and I am one of them. I am usually online most of the day. As well, you can always come to the HelpDesk and any Staff/Trusted can do it for you.

@Crosshair's comment

I like the idea of being able to keep someone T.

You know what would be cool if instead of using team-switch is if we had a restrict command that would automatically restrict them to T for "x" number of rounds. I guess that's pretty similar to making team-switch lock them for like 5 to 10 rounds.

Yeah, I was on sG Jailbreak because someone said that the map they were on was FUCKING HUGE, and when I was there for awhile I saw an admin use a restrict command to lock the person on T for like 10 rounds. We should have this :)

You know what would be great, if we could create a list. And on that list we would have all the people that freekilled. And if you were on that list you would not be allowed to go on the CT side. I have no idea when such witchcraft would become possible but we can dream.

But No admins who are regulars on the server, really have access to this, and having to get proof, as aforementioned is impossible, coz more often than not, the player has either left by then, or will not be a repeat offender. Yes the Tlist system works, but when admins don't have access to t-list freekillers... its pointless.