Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Time To Upgrade - i7 920 / UD5 (NEW PICS/CASE)

RetiredTacos

So...went ahead and splurged and jumped on the i7 bandwagon. She's all stock clocks right now, i'll start overclocking this biatch this weekend. It is ridiculously fast already at 2.66...goal is 3.8 to 4.0 though. Here's some eye candy.

Full Specs :

i7 920

6x2 GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3

Gigabyte EX58-UD5

Corsair 750PSU

Evga GTX 260

New pics of case and new HD setup. Thought I'd share.

15miic2.jpg

qn2o81.jpg

343gf3s.jpg

302m591.jpg

2hpk8qs.jpg

post-169-13525953186405_thumb.jpg

post-169-13525953186691_thumb.jpg

post-169-13525953186994_thumb.jpg

post-169-13525953187293_thumb.jpg

post-169-13525953187554_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Taco

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I7 but a GTX 260 :notrust:

GTX 285 - 350$

GTX 260 - 160$

Performance difference is approximately 10% at best. I am all about bang for the $. I'll be picking up another GTX 260 once I break this system in ;).

you shoud buy a Thermalright ultra 120 ! Cool your CPU ...

DDR3 awesome

do a 280GTX SLI

Didn't wanna pressure mod and lap a TRUE, I am happy with this setup even though it barely fits.

See above regarding GTX280's :notrust:

great choice with the noctua cooler. they are very quiet and do a great job at cooling. you were cutting it awfully close with clearance of your memory lol. you made a very good choice with the components. all are brand name and very reliable, ecspecially gigabyte's motherboards which I am running myself. you owe it to yourself to see how well you can run crysis on that monster! enjoy your new pc :)

great choice with the noctua cooler. they are very quiet and do a great job at cooling. you were cutting it awfully close with clearance of your memory lol. you made a very good choice with the components. all are brand name and very reliable, ecspecially gigabyte's motherboards which I am running myself. you owe it to yourself to see how well you can run crysis on that monster! enjoy your new pc :)

Yea that fan actually does not fit. Going to have to take off the heat-spreaders from one of the sticks so it'll fit. Hopefully it stays cool enough with the one fan, we'll see

Thanks for the compliments. I'll post some benchmarks when I get her done.

i wouldnt suggest removing the heatspreaders from the memory. you can file off the excess of the fan that does not fit or you could even remove the bottom portion of the frame. in any case, removing the heatspreader from the memory is not a good idea. they're on them for a reason ;) let me know!

i wouldnt suggest removing the heatspreaders from the memory. you can file off the excess of the fan that does not fit or you could even remove the bottom portion of the frame. in any case, removing the heatspreader from the memory is not a good idea. they're on them for a reason ;) let me know!

I've done it in the past, got a few buddies running their DDR3 without heatspreaders as well. Just need some air to blow over them and they'll be fine.

Good idea on filing the fan though, I will take a look tonight and see what I can mess up.

So...went ahead and splurged and jumped on the i7 bandwagon. She's all stock clocks right now, i'll start overclocking this biatch this weekend. It is ridiculously fast already at 2.66...goal is 3.8 to 4.0 though. Here's some eye candy.

Full Specs :

i7 920

6x2 GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3

Gigabyte EX58-UD5

Corsair 750PSU

Evga GTX 260

How do you like that CPU Cooler? I was thinking of putting it on my Q6600 OC'ed to 3.4 GHz

good choice man. i've heard many good things about it. i used tuniq tx-2 because i don't have to worry about it short circuiting my motherboard if the thing gets on anything it doesn't need to be on. i think both ocz freeze and tx2 both outperform arctic silver 5, which basically has it's own fanboys now that will cry out that it's the best stuff. anyway, there are some great tweak guides and info for making crysis look and run better than it could with the in-game configuration editor. if you would need some help with it, i'd be glad to help. i'm always on vent in case you run into some trouble with the pc. keep it up :)

good choice man. i've heard many good things about it. i used tuniq tx-2 because i don't have to worry about it short circuiting my motherboard if the thing gets on anything it doesn't need to be on. i think both ocz freeze and tx2 both outperform arctic silver 5, which basically has it's own fanboys now that will cry out that it's the best stuff. anyway, there are some great tweak guides and info for making crysis look and run better than it could with the in-game configuration editor. if you would need some help with it, i'd be glad to help. i'm always on vent in case you run into some trouble with the pc. keep it up :)

Yea i used what came with my tuniq tower on my old system, worked great. Artic Silver 5 is still good, just better choices out now.

I don't really care about Crysis, just use it for testing, I don't play the game.

It's not fair. I want either the quad core or the i7 and I can't afford to up grade.I hate you!

Yea i7 not cheap, but you can get a good Core Duo/Quad setup for descent $.