Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Time To Upgrade - i7 920 / UD5 (NEW PICS/CASE)

RetiredTacos

Somewhat off topic, but what are your views on liquid vs air from a cost to performance perspective? I'm thinking of tossing some extra cooling in my box for some OC, but I haven't done radical clock changes for about 5 years :P I'm out of the game.

Air coolers these days are ridiculous with how well they cool. With a proper push/pull fan setup water cooling makes little sense unless going for maximum overclocks. I could not justify it as my room is fucking hot already, I like to be able to take my PC somewhere on rare occasions, and I do not like the maintenance required.

Then you have to consider for a the price.

Good Air Cooler - 60-90$

Good Liquid cooling setup - 500+$ (setup I would like is approx 700$)

Don't think that 120$ liquid cooling kit is going to do much, a good air cooler will work better than a cheap liquid cooling kit.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry do you know if u could upgrade laptop graphics card. My card is currently nvidia 9200m and it sucks only has 256 mb

Generally no. Depends on the laptop really, if it DOES have DISCRETE video maybe. Most are built into the system and not removable though. At one point they made a few external video cards for gaming, but I believe those faded very quickly.

Thanks bud. Don't need luck, I know what I'm doing, been at it for a while ;)

Heh, my dad tried it once, turned it on and started messing around and smoke came out of the power supply. It was pretty funny until we smelled burning plastic... Thats why i don't try that kind of thing lol.

-Edit Dad was alot better with computers than i am, so another reason.

Heh, my dad tried it once, turned it on and started messing around and smoke came out of the power supply. It was pretty funny until we smelled burning plastic... Thats why i don't try that kind of thing lol.

lmao wow. He probably tried it back in the old days when you had to do it all manually via jumpers on the motherboard or maybe a pencil/volt mod.

That is a bit more dangerous compared to bios overclocking, it's much safer these days, even an idiot like DJ2 can overclock.

:fail:

lmao wow. He probably tried it back in the old days when you had to do it all manually via jumpers on the motherboard or maybe a pencil/volt mod.

That is a bit more dangerous compared to bios overclocking, it's much safer these days, even an idiot like DJ2 can overclock.

Nothing can save hardware from people that forget to put spacers between the board and the case. Like... 3 people failed my A+ class as a result.

I hope your camaro blows up