Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Time To Upgrade - i7 920 / UD5 (NEW PICS/CASE)

RetiredTacos

I still have a 939 AMD 94 lol. I used to have the Q 9450 and got it to 3.8 Ghz and it ran stable. Didn't try any higher. Had to sell it when my truck clutch went out. Was a sad day! Love your system though. The i7 system I want to build will run me around $850 or so sense I have some of the parts already.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have a 939 AMD 94 lol. I used to have the Q 9450 and got it to 3.8 Ghz and it ran stable. Didn't try any higher. Had to sell it when my truck clutch went out. Was a sad day! Love your system though. The i7 system I want to build will run me around $850 or so sense I have some of the parts already.

Dang that sucks bud. The 9450 @ 3.8 is a beast. Thanks for the compliments.

So apparently, i got this bitch stable @ 3.8 with temps under 75C, all power saving shit on. Gotta work on getting the damn uncore and memory up...PITA so far.

• 2 months later...
You say you're for all the bang with out the all $ and you go i7?? Phenom II X4 BE is cheaper then your i7! And starts out at 3.2 instead of 2.8. AMD FOR THE WIN!

If you look at the post date, you'll see that phenom 2 955's weren't out, also I started out at 2.66 not 2.8. Not that it matters as you can see from my clocks. Also it is not "better" as i7 is clock per clock faster than Phenom II X4, take your fan boy garbage elsewhere kid.

You say you're for all the bang with out the all $ and you go i7?? Phenom II X4 BE is cheaper then your i7! And starts out at 3.2 instead of 2.8. AMD FOR THE WIN!

Yeah... most certifiable geeks could care less about initial clock speed. Well made chips can run an additional 20-40 percent on average, faster than stock clock, given proper cooling.

Terry why so mean? Be nice

P.S. Nice rig.

Not being mean, stating the facts. Don't post crappy information and I will not correct you.

Don't get me wrong, the Phenom II 940 and even the 955 is a GREAT CPU for the price, just not the direction I chose.

Terry is super right. The index I posted was from a Phenom II quad 3.0. While it still performed superbly, the i7 still beats it out. Though mines sitting at stock settings right now, because I currently have nothing but stock cooling (though, to be fair, I idle at around 27C).

Somewhat off topic, but what are your views on liquid vs air from a cost to performance perspective? I'm thinking of tossing some extra cooling in my box for some OC, but I haven't done radical clock changes for about 5 years :P I'm out of the game.