Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Help! Computer got AIDS!

fdh

I hope one of ya'll can help me..

One of the RA's for my dorm tried to download Lemonade Tycoon and ended up getting a few trojns/malware. The management tried all their little norton antivirus sutff to get rid of it but it hasn't worked. Here is what happens:

If you go to google.com or msn.com or etc. it takes forever to get to the site and then a popup comes up with a url of go.google and then redirects to a spam site like lonelycheatingwives.com or freeiqquiz.com. If you search for something and then click on a search result it will sometimes go to that site and bring up anohter go.google popup and sometimes it will only give the popup.

So for example, I go to google (pop up comes up). I exit the pop up and search naked HG homer pics. Then I click on the first search result and another popup comes up for some spam site and my original window stays at the search result page for google.

Note that I can type in http://www.whatever.com and it'll take me to it but if I use google or etc the popup shit happens.

I used my laptop to figure out some stuff that could be causing it and it tells me that Malware Anti-Malware can find pieces of some tdss infection and bad registry files etc. Well when I go to dl it on the infected computer it "installs" but when you try to run it, it doesn't open or anyything.

Thank God this isn't my computer that has the problem :) But any suggestions?

...lol sounds like a search engine virus...or some sort...

Is your java out of date? Check to make sure it's updated because it could have been exploited, possibly.

Malware possibly? Download this program here.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

1. Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

2. Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

3. If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

4. Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan. The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.

5. When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

6. Make sure that everything found is checked, and click Remove Selected.

7. When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

8. The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

9. Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Please download and install the latest version of HijackThis v2.0.2:

Download the "HijackThis" Installer from this link:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HiJackThis.exe

1. Save " HJTInstall.exe" to your desktop.

2. Double click on HJTInstall.exe to run the program.

3. By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.

4. Accept the license agreement by clicking the "I Accept" button.

5.Click on the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.

6. Click "Save log" to save the log file and then the log will open in Notepad.

7. Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.

8. Paste the log in your next reply.

9. Do NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet! Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Also try Kaspersky

http://www.download.com/Kaspersky-Anti-Virus/3000-2239_4-10259842.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10719084

http://www.download.com/Kaspersky-Internet-Security/3000-2239_4-10012072.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10719090

Also try Nod32, my favorite anti-virus program.

http://www.scanwith.com/download/NOD32.htm

Probably better to download a cracked version from a torrent. Non the less, I hope some of this helped, probably didn't. Goodluck Helmin. Viruses suck donkey balls.

:drama:

Edited by HG | Shottymcracken

I have a great idea.... do like I do, (back up your data nub)

first (should have done this when the computer was brand new anyway) format your hard drive

next dedicate a 20GB partition for windows and do what you want with the rest

then if you ever have problems like this again you are out about 30-45 min (depending on processor) to reformat and reinstall OS and Drivers (keep updated driver files on a seperate partition)

end of problem

Look at these other posts. A full, and possibly useful guide and some jibber jabber about reformatting and partitions.

Uh, who's got the one step solution that is guaranteed to get your mind off of your crappy computer?

Me.

Get to Home Depot ASAP.

Lawl D3n's post is actually the most helpful. Didn't you guys read the post?

1) DJ, its not my computer. Its a front desk computer used by all employees. I wasn't around when they bought the computer, nor does it have enough crap on it worth backing up data. They can't reformat right now b/c the computer is used every ~5 minutes 24/7. They can reformat while we are on Christmas break. It doesn't really matter if they get it fixed or not, but it was something to play with while I worked from midnight to 8am.

2) I said I tried to install Malwarebyte's software (along w/ some other ones) but when I got to click on them after installing, the computer just sits there like nothing happened.

3) When I got to download.com and search for w/e software a spam popup comes up and ~50% of the time the site doesn't query my search, it just sits there. In either case, a homo popup comes up. Well after I do install, like I said before, the program won't open.

I appreciate the support though :)

1) DJ, its not my computer. Its a front desk computer used by all employees. I wasn't around when they bought the computer, nor does it have enough crap on it worth backing up data. They can't reformat right now b/c the computer is used every ~5 minutes 24/7. They can reformat while we are on Christmas break. It doesn't really matter if they get it fixed or not, but it was something to play with while I worked from midnight to 8am.

2) I said I tried to install Malwarebyte's software (along w/ some other ones) but when I got to click on them after installing, the computer just sits there like nothing happened.

3) When I got to download.com and search for w/e software a spam popup comes up and ~50% of the time the site doesn't query my search, it just sits there. In either case, a homo popup comes up. Well after I do install, like I said before, the program won't open.

I appreciate the support though :)

I would seriously just reformat, lol.

I had one of those a while back. It Hi-jacked my desktop, google searches, and it made a pop up every 5 minutes. I used Hijack this and I basically deleted anything that had a name I didn't like. Used ad aware and all that other crap. In the end I got rid of all the traces I could find and it was still hijacking my desktop and search engines.

Take what you can and reformat. >_>b

And if you can't reformat, refer to my first option.