Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

New Computer?

-O-P-rime

Yo so i've always have had a problem with building computers, so im coming here to see if you guys have any inputs or are bored enough to make a build for me.

As of now my budget is 1000$ but it can go as high as 1400$. So if you guys have any tips or tricks or builds to share then please do.

Any help is awesome.

Prime, what do you plan on doing with it? Strictly gaming? If I remember correctly, you dabble in photoshop and music editing.

Do you want it be portable (ie take it to LAN events)?

Do you have a preference on brands (ASUS, XFX, Corsair, etc.) and/or manufacturers (Intel, Nvidia, AMD, etc.)?

Do you know how or would you like to know how to overclock?

Do you want to keep it clean and simple or do you wanna make it over-the-top in both looks and functionality?

Will you need a monitor(s), speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc.?

How long do you plan on going before upgrading?

Is expandability important to you?

You can get shit ton with $1000-1400 and have a badass system to just about run any program you throw at it. :D :D

Prime, what do you plan on doing with it? Strictly gaming?

For this computer, yes. It will be strictly for gaming

Do you want it be portable (ie take it to LAN events)?

No, i want to create a home base for myself

Do you have a preference on brands (ASUS, XFX, Corsair, etc.) and/or manufacturers (Intel, Nvidia, AMD, etc.)?

I do not have a personal preference when it comes to certain companies

Do you know how or would you like to know how to overclock?

I have a general idea but i am more then open to know it in deeper detail

Do you want to keep it clean and simple or do you wanna make it over-the-top in both looks and functionality?

I wanna make it high end so it'll be more towards the over-the-top functionality, i've been looking into that new "Sandy Bridge" technology. It looks pretty sweet.

Will you need a monitor(s), speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc.?

I can provide my own mouse and speakers and keyboard, however i was thinking of using my TV as the monitor for my computer. I've used it before and it works like a charm, but if thats not right then i can fork over the extra money to get a pretty decent monitor

How long do you plan on going before upgrading?

I really am looking for something thats going to set me up for a while without having to do much upgrading, but i do plan on upgrading at later dates

Is expandability important to you?

Yes and no, i like to keep it simple but I also want to expand the computers horizon, if you know what i mean

Haha, thanks for taking the time to ask all those questions, but yeah. I hope you get the general idea. I still have my laptop for all my music and artwork so you dont have to worry about that aspect. I really am soley just looking to getting a gaming computer.

Anything particular like colors for the case, any preference on brands, nvidia v ati, amd v intel. Do you want something quiet or is it not a big issue to have a few fans goin. Want a big full tower, or a regular tower?

Ill put a build together for ya

Edited by AnonyHorse

primebuild.png

Pros:

- Within your budget ($1400)

- Latest Intel Sandy-Bridge technology (I <3 Mine)

- CrossfireX!!

- ASUS P67 motherboard with plenty of features. (UEFI, USB 3.0, SATA III, etc.)

- Should be able to play Metro 2033 (very intense game) @ 1920x1200, Max Image Details, AAA, DX11, no PhysX at about 40 FPS Source

- Windows 7 Ultimate

- Plenty of RAM (Shit's cheap right now).

- Proven Heatsink and Fan for overclocking.

Cons:

- No SSD (Other than load times games do not take full advantage of speeds. Too expensive to buy large enough to fit an OS and a decent collection of games.)

- No Blu-Ray (Meh, I never use mine and with Digital Downloads all the rage games are never going to be produced on them.)

- Power Supply isn't modular or 1000w (shouldn't matter even with a 4.6GHz/1.4v overclock, 90% TDP, 35% Cap. aging and a lot of USB Devices you won't even hit 677w)

Notes:

I stuck a popular Full Tower Case in the list (NZXT Phantom [they make it in other colors]) which gives about $140 to switch out with another in your preference.

Edited by Cefdinir

AMD Athlon II X4 640 -- Runs at quad core 3.0 and only $100 on new egg, want a link?? pm me :)

If hes gonna spend $1400 on a computer do ya think hes gonna want an athlon? Honestly i have an athlon II x4 right now and it really isn't very good, especially for gaming. Also dont take this the wrong way im just very critical.

and im out of weed

primebuild.png

Pros:

- Within your budget ($1400)

- Latest Intel Sandy-Bridge technology (I <3 Mine)

- CrossfireX!!

- ASUS P67 motherboard with plenty of features. (UEFI, USB 3.0, SATA III, etc.)

- Should be able to play Metro 2033 (very intense game) @ 1920x1200, Max Image Details, AAA, DX11, no PhysX at about 43 FPS Source

- Windows 7 Ultimate

- Plenty of RAM (Shit's cheap right now).

- Proven Heatsink and Fan for overclocking.

Cons:

- No SSD (Other than load times games do not take full advantage of speeds. Too expensive to buy large enough to fit an OS and a decent collection of games.)

- No Blu-Ray (Meh, I never use mine and with Digital Downloads all the rage games are never going to be produced on them.)

- Power Supply isn't modular or 1000w (shouldn't matter even with a 4.6GHz/1.4v overclock, 90% TDP, 35% Cap. aging and a lot of USB Devices you won't even hit 677w)

Notes:

I stuck a popular Full Tower Case in the list (NZXT Phantom [they make it other colors]) which gives about $140 to switch out with another in your preference.

Hey so i was just wondering, me being completely dumb when it comes to specific parts, does this list come with an Ethernet port? And also, is a wireless card included in it or do i have to look for one? If i do, around how much would that cost? And when i mean Ethernet port i mean, is it included in the tower and with the computer being built with all these parts, will it work? Or will i need to purchase another part?

Thanks again for your help.

The motherboard will have a built in ethernet port, but it won't have a wireless card. Do you have to use wireless for it?

No i wont have to have wireless for it, and one last question, i know you didnt create the build but for the sound card. I saw that there wasnt one on Cef's build. What should i look for in looking for a sound card, or am i just blind and there is one incorporated in the build?