Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

A small problem with my computer...

Alright here is my problem... I have 4(1) gigs of ram and all have been installed properly. For some reason, my computer is only reading 3 gigs of ram. Not sure why it's doing that but thought maybe someone here could help me out.

Some system info:

Windows XP Home Edition (32 bit) SP3

Asus a8n-sli premium motherboard

Radeon HD Graphics Card

AMD Athlon 64 Processor

If you need more information lmk! Thanks!

Windows XP -is- available in 64-bit, however it is highly not recommended to get it as it does not have any updates for Service Pack 3 (which is required and highly recommended.) Personally, I believe Windows 7 64-bit would work -okay- on an Athlon 64, but I personally believe it would be a better idea to live with the 3GB of memory you have due to limitations of your processor. Windows 7 does require a bit more CPU power to run itself while XP is designed to run on systems that only have the CPU power available from processors such as the Core 2 Duo series, etc.

There shouldn't be an amazing difference in performance, but for people who really pay attention the differences will be there. If you can, find a torrent for XP 64-bit and install SP2 for it. Drivers will be required and can be downloaded from ASUS's website HERE. Back up your current XP installation in case the Windows XP 64-bit fails/does not work for you properly.

I'm not saying Windows 7 isn't a good idea, I'm just saying that sticking with XP is a better idea.