Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Penn State scandal dwarfs others in college sports (AP)

Champ Kind

People sympathize with Paterno and I don't fucking get it. You can go ahead and read the grand jury report that explicitly details what the grad assistant saw and reported to Paterno, who did nothing. Well, it details a fuckton of shit that Sandusky did to many boys, all of which went unreported to the proper authorites or was covered up by people who should die in a fire.

People sympathize with Paterno and I don't fucking get it. You can go ahead and read the grand jury report that explicitly details what the grad assistant saw and reported to Paterno, who did nothing. Well, it details a fuckton of shit that Sandusky did to many boys, all of which went unreported to the proper authorites or was covered up by people who should die in a fire.

People are sympathizing with him because he is all they've ever known. He has been the most important face at PSU since he began as an assistant in 1950. His name is bigger than anyone who has ever set foot on campus and the amount of money, as well as the players he shapes are extremely grateful for that.

Also, you cannot say he did nothing, he did report it to his superiors, who did nothing, in which case he 100% should have acted on his own accord.

People are sympathizing with him because he is all they've ever known. He has been the most important face at PSU since he began as an assistant in 1950. His name is bigger than anyone who has ever set foot on campus and the amount of money, as well as the players he shapes are extremely grateful for that.

Also, you cannot say he did nothing, he did report it to his superiors, who did nothing, in which case he 100% should have acted on his own accord.

Regardless of his status with the university, his lack of action is disgusting. He, and others, had so many opportunities to report this to the police. None of them did. Grown ass men were told that a 10 year old boy was sodomized and no one thought it important enough tell the police. Certainly not more important than protecting a rapist's reputation, so to cut him some slack by saying he told his superiors is straight up sad.

Regardless of his status with the university, his lack of action is disgusting. He, and others, had so many opportunities to report this to the police. None of them did. Grown ass men were told that a 10 year old boy was sodomized and no one thought it important enough tell the police. Certainly not more important than protecting a rapist's reputation, so to cut him some slack by saying he told his superiors is straight up sad.

Again, not so fast. The reason Paterno is not being charged criminally is because he did not lie to the grand jury. The GA claims to have told him he "saw Sandusky and a boy fooling around." If you look in the report Paterno's name never shows up in regards to KNOWING there was sodomy involved.

Again, not so fast. The reason Paterno is not being charged criminally is because he did not lie to the grand jury. The GA claims to have told him he "saw Sandusky and a boy fooling around." If you look in the report Paterno's name never shows up in regards to KNOWING there was sodomy involved.

Well, yes, according to the grand jury report the graduate assistant saw the rape and "promptly report[ed] what he had seen to Coach Joe Paterno." That's from the grand jury report and it implies that he told Paterno exactly what he saw. And even if Paterno might have only been told they were "fooling around," that is still no excuse for not telling the police. Again, he was a grown man and I'm assuming he knew that fooling around with little boys is wrong. That doesn't make him any less guilty, regardless if he's charged with anything or not.

Well, yes, according to the grand jury report the graduate assistant saw the rape and "promptly report[ed] what he had seen to Coach Joe Paterno." That's from the grand jury report and it implies that he told Paterno exactly what he saw. And even if Paterno might have only been told they were "fooling around," that is still no excuse for not telling the police. Again, he was a grown man and I'm assuming he knew that fooling around with little boys is wrong. That doesn't make him any less guilty, regardless if he's charged with anything or not.

I agree it doesn't make him any less guilty.

NtO9k.png

That's all we know. "Legally" speaking, Paterno followed Pennsylvania laws by reporting it to his superiors, as the law states that "the person in charge of the school or institution" is required to report the incident. I'm not trying to absolve him of anything but I will say that I do not believe the GA told him "I watched him have anal sex with the boy." Nothing in Paterno or the GA's statement indicate he knew the specific acts going on.