Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Vip point system

Luxer

I've been playing on and off your DM server for a couple of years and the thing I like about it is how it sets up the CT's vs T's; both try to push/keep long A and B. It's a more fun setup than a typical DM server that has randomized spawns. The only quibble I have is how the point system is done for the vip system. Because of the massive amount of points you lose to someone who just started playing on the server it encourages some people to camp T-side without ever trying to push or take the hot spots.

Take the top vip Ownage.HN for instance. He will sit in T-spawn outside of B for HOURS on end just waiting for CT's to come B-tunnel. This is the only way to maintain top vip status since you have to have a 10:1 ratio at least. It's not only him, it's almost every vip I've seen. This is why I don't even try to be a vip after the first week or so, it would force me to camp T-spawn for a long long time which is extremely boring and lame.

I think less emphasis should be put on ratio and more on kills-per-minute. So someone who has more kills but a worse ratio, in the same amount of time, would have more points. There would be less camping this way I think and more pushing.

Anyways, that's just my 2c.

HLstatsX used in HL2DM, is the same for Counter Strike Source

How are the "points" rating calculated?

A new player has 1000 points. Every time you make a kill, you gain a certain amount of points depending on A) the victim's points rating, and B) the weapon you used. If you kill someone with a higher points rating than you, then you gain more points than if you kill someone with a lower points rating than you. Therefore, killing newbies will not get you as far as killing the #1 player. And if you kill someone with your crowbar, you gain more points than if you kill them with a ar2, for example.

When you are killed, you lose a certain amount of points, which again depends on the points rating of your killer and the weapon they used (you don't lose as many points for being killed by the #1 player with a ar2 than you do for being killed by a low ranked player with a crowbar). This makes moving up the rankings easier, but makes staying in the top spots harder.

Specifically, the equations are:

Killer Points = Killer Points + (Victim Points / Killer Points)

× Weapon Modifier × 5

Victim Points = Victim Points - (Victim Points / Killer Points)

× Weapon Modifier × 5

What are all the weapon points modifiers?

Weapon points modifiers are used to determine how many points you should gain or lose when you make a kill or are killed by another player. Higher modifiers indicate that more points will be gained when killing with that weapon (and similarly, more points will be lost when being killed by that weapon).

Modifiers generally range from 0.00 to 2.00.

Stun Stick.......................3.00

Crowbar..........................3.00

Pistol..............................2.30

Player Telefrag.................2.00

Physbox Telefrag..............2.00

Crossbow........................1.70

Shotgun..........................1.60

Slam...............................1.30

Frag Grenade...................1.30

Combine Ball...................1.20

Impact Grenade...............1.10

RPG...............................1.10

Sub Machine Gun.............1.00

Physics...........................1.00

Explosion........................1.00

Combine Assault Rifle......1.00

Thanks deskrriado for all ^that, cause I really didn't know any of that :3 you just made me a bit smarter :P

tbh, even though I barely ever use an AWP in there, I like em in that server. Cause I know people will get mad if they're hurr durr trying to awp you yet you can outsmart them and kill them numerous times with your ak/m4. Thats my main goal in that server, try and kill as many awpers as possible, long range most of the time. I love it :3

AWPing is fine, I use it a lot to push with. The point was that the vip system encourages excessive camping with it. I hover around 4400 points, to someone with around 1100-1200 I will get 2 points for killing but they will get 10-14 points for killing me while I lose 7-10 points. So in order to move up I would need a 5:1 ratio at least. The only way to do that is to plop yourself in T-spawn and AWP the easy spots.

If the point system were more balanced you'd have people wanting to push out in order to get more kills, but right now ratio > kpm by far... so getting more kills is meaningless; which is why I don't try for vip status.

I do agree with this posting but I also disagree to an extent. If you know they are awping you can go somewhere else. If you know its harder to climb the ranks then be more cautious, obviously you cant get to the top by being gun ho and rushing every single time. you need to create a strategy and work on it until you feel you can do it fairly well and you have your bases covered. you can also get someone to work with your plan as well making it much easier and alot more fun when you can double team on a good working plan. I play the crackhouse DM server and of course there are going to be AWPers on both sides because hey an easy kill is an easy kill but you can always avoid the awpers very easily because you know there targets. Whoever has played against/with me in crackhouse for more then a few minutes automatically knows I take the fight right to the Ts doorstep, or window since thats more literally correct, I deal with the AWPers constantly but I am able to get in a position where they cant see me until its much to late for them and thats all that you need to work on. get where you cant be awped but you can control the area. I am slowly climbing up the point scale and I always have a pretty decent point ratio. of course youll get the annoying player who gets killed by you one to many times and seeks vengence for the rest of the game and camps where your going but hey its a game right? Point being that if you cant go one way make a new way