Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 [Looking for players in HG]

No!

mtg_th.jpg

Magic the Gathering is the ‘Madden’ of trading card games. A new core set releases every year with only minor adjustments and hardcore players will repeatedly reinvest in the game. When Wizards of the Coast released Duels of the Planeswalkers for XBLA and PC last year it looked like there might be a place in the Magic landscape for casual players who don’t want to buy new cards every year. Enter Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012.

In addition to a series of small mechanical changes that mirror the recent adjustments to the card version, Magic 2012 features a remarkable interface refinement that streamlines the entire experience. In a game that’s ultimately about navigation, this enhancement goes a long way. Making the game easier to navigate makes it easier to understand and easier to play, not to mention more attractive.

At its heart, Duels of the Planeswalkers is still trying to deliver the core Magic mechanics in a simple to understand format. Like the last game, the decks included don’t really stray from basic concepts and this might leave more advanced players a little bored. It’s still fun playing with the well-balanced prefabs, but things do get tiring without more gimmicky mechanics.

mtg2_th.jpg

The addition of Archenemy multiplayer offers an online co-op experience that feels fresh and truly different from the core game. This game is the first time players have been able to team-up against a single computer player and the experience is intense. With a deck full of overpowered Archenemy cards the villain player gets incredible bonuses that make them difficult to beat, even when it is 3-on-1. It can be challenging, but the resulting camaraderie and genuine sense of triumph is worth the effort.

Two-Headed Giant is back from last year, except now it no longer requires both players to play split-screen. Online partnerships can now be made and players have the opportunity to work as one over the internet. It’s a huge improvement and makes the mode infinitely more playable, if only for logistical reasons.

The introduction of the game sets the stage for an epic narrative with a grand cinematic of moving paintings, but the rest of the game barely offers any exposition on the plot. Like the TCG, Duels of the Planeswalkers lets the stories exist in the players’ heads with glimpses of a fictional canon sprinkled through card artwork and flavor text.

mtg3_th.jpg

Of course, the question remains why such a flashy experience is needed for a simple card game, especially considering when the minimum system requirements on the PC demand a dedicated video card. For a game that could offer a minimalist mode, it’s a shame this won’t be playable on more laptops and low-end towers.

Like its predecessor deck building is still a nonexistent affair. Players are offered the option to unlock and add up to 15 additional cards for each of their prefabricated decks. Each new deck is unlocked by beating it during the campaign and there are 12 in total However, despite breaking some significant Magic the Gathering traditions there are still some major benefits to using only pre-built decks. Because the cards are all pre-chosen there’s no great disparity when taking the game online. Naturally good players will still have an edge thanks to the unlocking system, but this system eliminates the rich-kid/poor-kid element of the real-world version.

Unfortunately, none of the previously released downloadable content works with the new version which feels like a simple cash-grab from Wizards of the Coast. The game is a tremendous value as-is, but if the DLC roadmap is going to release new and innovative decks rather than re-releasing existing content there’s no reason why this was excluded. Even if non-standard cards go obsolete in the real-world game, they can still be used for casual play; in Duels of the Planeswalkers they simply cease to exist.

The game does suffer from some of the technical problems of last year’s version, which will hopefully be patched shortly after the game launches. Minor hang-ups and syncing errors when complex spell and counter spell combos are played, as well as significant post-victory lag are evident. Neither of these issues have broken the game experience yet, but they certainly haven’t improved it.

Overall, Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 is a relatively by-the-numbers enhancement of the previous game. Normally these sorts of increments would be frustrating, but considering the tremendous value the game presents to causal Magic fans it’s easy to overlook another purchase when compared to the alternative. For the cost of a few booster packs, Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 provides a balanced, enjoyable experience that Magic fans of all levels can enjoy – at least until next year.

By : Justin Amirkhani at GameShark.com

mtg1_th.jpg

So take the time to play the demo linked above. if you do want to start playing this hardcore strategy game. With new decks released every two months. Games play is never boring. With single player , multiple multi-player settings. There is so much to do in this game, that's there is thousand of hours f fun in it.

Message me on he forums or add me on steam Dyslexicia or No! [K] Thank You a who reads this and Happy Games Playing to everyone..

Much <3 All!!

Buddy plays this. He has begged me to play it for months.....might try it. I loves my yugiohs tho

If your in to really good strategy games, where you have to think 3-5 moves ahead of your opponents. Then this is the game for you. If all you know how to do is point aim and shoot. You might not waste your time on it. There is ALOT I say again ALOT of reading involved in this game.

Check out the link to the free trial on the main thread anyone thinking about buying it.

I would so buy this game if I had the money, I played an imitation of Magic The Gathering and I loved it, but I sucked at the game.

Hope you can save up your nickels and dimes for this game. It be so worth it I think anyways bro. If you do or anyone does. I'd walk you though anything that you have problems with in that game in the least. Pro stats at Mtg in real life and online O.o

can you make your own decks yet in the game

Not yet !!!

Been reading about future updates to the game. There going to be releasing at least two - four more decks for the game. After that they are thinking about putting in a feature to make your own deck. The sad part is that you'll have to own all the decks before unlocking this. Yet sadly it is not in the game right now only in plans for the future.

• 1 month later...
If i had it for steam i would play, but i already have it for XBL

but be glad you don't have to face me 1v1 or in 2HG

ZZ I might have buy it for you just to have a good 2hg teammate ... Fyi have a 95% win ratio with the vampire deck in 1v1. And 90% with the plains solid white deck. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...