Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Kony 2012

Scott

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm proud there making an attempt to help but I do not support there methods about it. I think we all need to look at the bigger picture and do something about all the travesties that have and continue to happen all around Africa and around the world including each of our own respective countries. Ugandans are not the only ppl suffering you know.

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer here but before throwing your money at anything you should check the group out and try to gather as much information as possible then make your decision.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com.nyud.net/

Kony hasn't been active since 2006. Not saying its a bad charity....just do your homework and make sure you know where you're money is going.

this.

Kony 2012 was a good thing in a different sense that most people would think. The content of the video is irrelevant to what I'm going to telling you. The video has shown that the internet can change the world and that is what we should learn from it. The view count is all the way up to 74 million right now, and there are people who are extremely upset about the organization behind it while they aren't seeing the bigger picture. We shouldn't learn that getting involved in things that first touch you, that it's the wrong thing to do. It's a demonstration of how powerful the internet is; and in the future we could be using this to our advantage to seriously change the world. So many times (ex. this thread) I have seen people being accused of literally caring about what's going on in the world. Of course we have to be skeptical of organizations and what they want to do, but that doesn't mean that our ability to care, make a difference, and change things is wrong.

Kony 2012 was a good thing in a different sense that most people would think. The content of the video is irrelevant to what I'm going to telling you. The video has shown that the internet can change the world and that is what we should learn from it. The view count is all the way up to 74 million right now, and there are people who are extremely upset about the organization behind it while they aren't seeing the bigger picture. We shouldn't learn that getting involved in things that first touch you, that it's the wrong thing to do. It's a demonstration of how powerful the internet is; and in the future we could be using this to our advantage to seriously change the world. So many times (ex. this thread) I have seen people being accused of literally caring about what's going on in the world. Of course we have to be skeptical of organizations and what they want to do, but that doesn't mean that our ability to care, make a difference, and change things is wrong.

been waiting for this

The problem is that people are confusing "caring" about the subject and believing every damned thing the video says, and by extension, blindly following IC regardless of whether or not they're a reputable organization.

In fact, I get the shit flamed out of me (elsewhere) every time I remind people that a) re-posting a video doesn't mean you're changing the world, so don't act like it, and B) you must do ACTUAL RESEARCH into an issue before you make any kind of commitment to it. If you want to help Africa, contribute to some of the charities that IC gives (some) funding to. You'll be making a larger impact that way.

Do I think the situation in Africa is unfortunate? Yes. Do I need to draw my own conclusions and decide where my support falls? Yes. Does slactivism infuriate me? Very much yes.

(Not directed at individuals. Especially those that already donate to more selfless non-profits.)

The problem is that people are confusing "caring" about the subject and believing every damned thing the video says, and by extension, blindly following IC regardless of whether or not they're a reputable organization.

In fact, I get the shit flamed out of me (elsewhere) every time I remind people that a) re-posting a video doesn't mean you're changing the world, so don't act like it, and B) you must do ACTUAL RESEARCH into an issue before you make any kind of commitment to it. If you want to help Africa, contribute to some of the charities that IC gives (some) funding to. You'll be making a larger impact that way.

Do I think the situation in Africa is unfortunate? Yes. Do I need to draw my own conclusions and decide where my support falls? Yes. Does slactivism infuriate me? Very much yes.

(Not directed at individuals. Especially those that already donate to more selfless non-profits.)

In my opinion related to how people follow the video's requests blindly, I agree that people should do a lot more research instead of not doing any if they want to involve themselves. I also think that Invisible Children is a decent organization since it is probably the most successful organization in our history to spread awareness (which is what its goal is) seeing that it made the possible quickest growing viral video in history on the issue. Also, spreading videos around is exactly what should be done. It will start a ripple effect and in the long run more people will be donating and more people will be aware. In other words, if you had a choice between donating $5, or posting a video that will exponentially grow to other people who are willing to donate more than $5, which one would you do? Lastly, this new word I just learned, "slactivism", seems to be an illusion. For one, it is impossible to know unless you get information about the person whether they are doing something or not on the subject that they are talking about. Secondly, if people who are doing this infuriate you, than people who do nothing, including not discussing anything related to the topic do what to you?

Edited by BlackEyes

In my opinion related to how people follow the video's requests blindly, I agree that people should do a lot more research instead of not doing any if they want to involve themselves. I also think that Invisible Children is a decent organization since it is probably the most successful organization in our history to spread awareness (which is what its goal is) seeing that it made the possible quickest growing viral video in history on the issue. Also, spreading videos around is exactly what should be done. It will start a ripple effect and in the long run more people will be donating and more people will be aware. In other words, if you had a choice between donating $5, or posting a video that will exponentially grow to other people who are willing to donate more than $5, which one would you do? Lastly, this new word I just learned, "slactivism", seems to be an illusion. For one, it is impossible to know unless you get information about the person whether they are doing something or not on the subject that they are talking about. Secondly, if people who are doing this infuriate you, than people who do nothing, including not discussing anything related to the topic do what to you?

Slactivism is more of a state of mind; that you are magically some kind of freedom fighter just because you re-post something on Facebook. It's a lot different than raising awareness in addition to a tangible contribution. How can you expect people to follow in your footsteps if you make none yourself?

From my point of view on morality, it's worse to preach about something and not take part yourself than to do nothing at all.