Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

1400$ Computer?? Help.

The Prodigy

Hey guys/gals my birthday is coming up in my so my parents are going to get me the IPhone 4S and a computer of my choice for around 1400-1500$. I'm not good with computers at all so I'm asking you all to help me pick one out. Feel free to post a link or name of a computer. People are telling me to get the Alienware Aurora, and then others tell me I'm only paying for the brand. But I'm completely hopeless when it comes to this stuff haha. Thanks ahead of time. :D

Will you be getting a full computer? As in monitor, keyboard, mouse etc included. Or are you looking to just get a new tower with parts? Also I'm assuming you don't want to assemble it yourself and are looking for something premade?

Honestly it's NOT complicated. I taught my 12 year old brother how to build a computer and he's completely stupid. Today, computer parts are retarded-proof. Everything is only 1 way. Nothing can be flipped or put in wrong (for the most part).

Here are some videos that will show you how to build a computer step by step.

If you want, I can video chat with you and tear down my rig and build again right in front of you so you know exactly how to do it and if you have questions I can answer them. My tower cost me around $2500 or more but I have a bunch of "unnecessary items".

[video=youtube;lPIXAtNGGCw]

[video=youtube;d_56kyib-Ls]

Here is the link to the third one since I cant post a 3rd video in one post.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to guide you. Send me a PM.

Yeah I'm just looking for a new tower not monitor, keyboard, or mouse. Yes it would be smart to build a computer buying the parts separately but I just don't know anyone to do it for me.

There are thousands of people who offer their service for you online. If you have a best buy around you Geek squad could do it.

Quick one I put together that others can critique. All of these parts are available from US.NCIX.COM which is a very cool company (at least in Canada, no US experience). For an extra $50 they'll build the computer for you and test it before shipping. They will also Price Match most other online competitors so you should be able to use any of the prices found here and maybe other sites that PC Part Picker doesn't use. Google Shopping search is a good way to possibly find lower prices. They also do free shipping if you're over $50.

A DVD drive wasn't included because PC Part Picker was only showing me NCIX's Blu Ray drives for some reason. So you would have to add one of those. Extra $20-$25.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.86 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($103.02 @ NCIX US)

Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($467.86 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Cooler Master 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1318.67

(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

(Generated 2012-04-03 11:19 EDT-0400)

look around tigerdirect or newegg for parts that will fit your style of gaming. and with $1500 dollars your computer will be extremely good! You can also save a bit of money as well. Usually I can post some good parts for you from newegg or tigerdirect but I'm posting this from my phone so I'm not around my computer yet. OR someone will beat me to it.

Guest teh_g
Quick one I put together that others can critique. All of these parts are available from US.NCIX.COM which is a very cool company (at least in Canada, no US experience). For an extra $50 they'll build the computer for you and test it before shipping. They will also Price Match most other online competitors so you should be able to use any of the prices found here and maybe other sites that PC Part Picker doesn't use. Google Shopping search is a good way to possibly find lower prices. They also do free shipping if you're over $50.

A DVD drive wasn't included because PC Part Picker was only showing me NCIX's Blu Ray drives for some reason. So you would have to add one of those. Extra $20-$25.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.86 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($103.02 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)

I would personally go for the Crossfire V motherboard with an AMD core. AMD has a lot more futureproofing. It also has the UEFI Bios which I think is very much needed with Windows 8 (they may have changed that).

Since the price is higher on that, you can probably drop the CPU cooler and just avoid the overclock.

Get this CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

I like Crossfire over the more expensive single graphics card. I have two of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121419 and can max out every game I own. You could probably spring for http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121559 as well if you wanted.

Geld and teh_g that's extremely helpful, thank you. I would quickly like to show you all one of my builds and see how it compares to yours.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2700K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

CPU Cooler:Liquid CPU Cooling System ARC Silent High Performance Fan

Motherboard:ASUS P8Z68-V LX -- Lucid Virtu Technology

Memory:8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module

Hard Drive: 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s

Video Card:AMD Radeon HD 7850 - 2GB

Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case (White)

Power Supply:700 Watt - Standard

Operating System:Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010

Gaming Accessories: ASUS Xonar DG, and Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card

Total: 1460$

Sorry I couldn't post it with links but this it what it started out as I just added some things http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_E810/c/3368717

Edited by The Prodigy

Guest teh_g
Geld and teh_g that's extremely helpful, thank you. I would quickly like to show you all one of my builds and see how it compares to yours.

CPU: Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-2700K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

CPU Cooler:Liquid CPU Cooling System ARC Silent High Performance Fan

Motherboard:ASUS P8Z68-V LX -- Lucid Virtu Technology

Memory:8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module

Hard Drive: 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s

Video Card:AMD Radeon HD 7850 - 2GB

Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case (White)

Power Supply:700 Watt - Standard

Operating System:Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010

Gaming Accessories: ASUS Xonar DG, and Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card

Total: 1460$

Sorry I couldn't post it with links but this it what it started out as I just added some things http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_E810/c/3368717

That looks pretty good. I am a huge AMD fan, so I would probably just go for the AMD CPU. I also HIGHLY recommend the Crossfire V if you can get that motherboard. If possible, two 1TB hard drive might be better than one (you can use one for your games and the other for your OS).

Here is my computer I built in October: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15217751

The only difference now is that I added a few hard drives.

Vesta X4 2100 SLI

SLI Ready!

Phenom II X4 960 Processor Is this a good processor?

GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB is this a good video card?

Windows 7 Home Premium

4GB DDR3-1333 Memory (RAM)

8 USB Ports (2 front)

2 IEEE1394 Firewire (1 front)

eSATA Port

1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive

22x DVD/CD Writer

520W 80 Plus Power Supply

7.1 high definition audio

Onboard Gigabit Ethernet

Vesta X4 2100 SLI

SLI Ready!

Phenom II X4 960 Processor Is this a good processor?

GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB is this a good video card?

Windows 7 Home Premium

4GB DDR3-1333 Memory (RAM)

8 USB Ports (2 front)

2 IEEE1394 Firewire (1 front)

eSATA Port

1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive

22x DVD/CD Writer

520W 80 Plus Power Supply

7.1 high definition audio

Onboard Gigabit Ethernet

550 is a good card if you need a basic update...but if your gonna spend $1400 on a comp you should at least get a 560ti if not a 570.

Im throwing a build together now...i'll edit this post when its done

http://grab.by/cXNi

Total cost $1379

cpu- i5 2500k

and 2 560ti's

Edited by AnonyHorse

there you go.. Now is the time to buy a 580/570 with the new gpus coming out. With the amount of money your a spending amd is a bad choice. Also no need for a high end board if you are not doing more then 3 gpus in the near future and trying to get extremely high overclocks(im assuming you arent).

Also stay away from the liquid cooled all in ones. The pumps blow eventually your temps will get hotter and it will die.

Build the pc yourself its easy and only takes about an hour, less if your good. All these places that build it for you usually fall short in the customer service department and their choice in psu and mobos.

post-5466-13525955104307_thumb.png

I would agree that this is a good setup, except I would reccommend a Phenom/nVidia combo. Either way, for $1400, you should have NO trouble finding and/or building a good rig.

(PS I professionally build custom computers, so let me know if you want me to do it!) </shameless plug>

Case

Xion Echo Gaming Case - Blue

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Processor Cooling

Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System

Memory

8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance

Video Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 - 1.5GB - Single Card

Motherboard

[sLI] ASUS P8Z68-V Pro -- 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16, On-Board Bluetooth, Lucid Virtu Technology

Power Supply

750 Watt - Thermaltake TR2 TRX-750M Free Upgrade to 850 Watt W0319RU

Primary Hard Drive

1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive

24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Price:$1504 USD

-EDIT- I do not know if home premium can use up all 8 gigs of ram, so maybe dumbing it down to 4gigs can save a few bucks too.

Reason I put the 580 is because I'm guessing you don't only play CSS, and its a good graphics card.

Gave it a go, Obviously it'd be a lot cheaper if you build it yourself, I used iBuyPower.

-Edit # 2- Should've looked at the date the last post, my bad for bumping an couple day old post.

Edited by Scream