Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Server Shut Down

Clark

So, we have been pushing donations. The ones we get are great. Everyone else plays for free.

When we do finally have to start shutting servers down, which ones will stay?

We need donations guys. These servers don't pay for themselves. The admin and reserve slot subscriptions do help a lot.

The bandwidth overage charges are killing us.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a way to save all servers, and thus also expand to more servers. it's really easy, and really simple, start making admins pay....the closest admins, like council, HG staff i been in Hg long enough to know half the admins arnt paying, shit when I had admin to most of the servers i wasnt paying for them, but I was donating, shit came back from iraq i donated $100 up front to help you guys out, the people who are donating or giving something back there not getting appreciated enough, yeah admin is great and all 9/10 they will abuse it once they get it and lose it, BAM $5 dollars per month is gone because some HG staff or council member can not show restraint, I'm just saying Council should say, "hey thanks for donating" or something of that nature.

There is a way to save all servers, and thus also expand to more servers. it's really easy, and really simple, start making admins pay....the closest admins, like council, HG staff i been in Hg long enough to know half the admins arnt paying, shit when I had admin to most of the servers i wasnt paying for them, but I was donating, shit came back from iraq i donated $100 up front to help you guys out, the people who are donating or giving something back there not getting appreciated enough, yeah admin is great and all 9/10 they will abuse it once they get it and lose it, BAM $5 dollars per month is gone because some HG staff or council member can not show restraint, I'm just saying Council should say, "hey thanks for donating" or something of that nature.

are you off your fucking meds?

we have only banned paying admins for repeated or extreme abuse, you have NO IDEA how much money council members put into this community and it really doesn't matter to be honest. We appreciate every donation we get and our regular members and donators know we do.

What are you talking about?

You are pissy because not enough people said thank you? Thats naive.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Are you saying that when someone abuses they shouldnt have their admin taken away?

What admin is 5 a month?

There are almost no players who receive free admin anymore.

it is not as it was when you were here before.

You have no idea. The problem is not any free admin. The problem is we have such an influx of players that the bandwidth for each server exceeds its limit astronomically every month.

You want to be thanked?

THANK YOU.

geez

We always show our appreciation of any donation. But I don't think people should donate just to get a thank and recognition. We're asking people to donate because they like the servers and want to see the community flourish as a whole. Staff and Council put dozens of man hours a week keeping these servers well run, cheater/jerk free, and over all high quality. We do this all for free. You don't see us demanding any word of thanks. We do it because we want people to have a fun place to play where they can just log on, click on bad guys and just have fun.

What I'm saying is, if you are donating to us to be put on a pedestal and be showered with praise, well, you're probably going to be disappointed. Staff and Council show their appreciation through the fact that you have some of the most popular servers in the world available at your fingertips, well-maintained, and well taken care of, in addition to all the other features we offer, like a giant Ventrilo server, a large community, a forum to speak your mind, and overall a friendly environment.

We always appreciate any and all donations, and if you come and talk to us you will hear our gratitude. But if you want us to stop what we're doing and make you a thank-you card, well, I think that is counter-intuitive to what Council and Staff exist for in the first place.

Not to mention the monetary contribution to the community. Bort alone pitches a few hundred almost every month, and Clark, DJ and myself put a few thousand altogether into this clan at the beginning.

lol Yes indeed council and staff work harder then what most ppl think actually. Most ppl think they sit back on there ass's and do nothing. I use to be a council member working for EaglesElite clan that owned 10 servers a year ago they dropped the owner that started it all gave it up to join the military actually. But I know how it is in that department. And that's why i thank staff and council members every chance i get.

Solution to the bandwidth problems: Admins should start banning more. Yeah, don't go easy. None of that ban report ignoring stuff, and no more "un-motd" ways. For example, in JailBreak, every day there is about 20-30 freekillers that deserve perma bans or at least long bans. Why no one bans? Because admins are not being admins.

EDIT:

Some more ways -

Reduce server slots. 52 slots on Office is just far out. 46 is fine. Its a cluserfuck when server is full imo.

Eliminate mic usage. Microphones take alot of bandwidth, espicially if there are 2 or more people spamming mics or about 5 cts and 10 ts talking, attempting to resolve who its going to receive freeday. Imo D2DM does not require mics, because , well... Its DM.

Add more items to the cart. I wouldn't mind grabbing a snazzy T-Shirt from the cart.

Edited by braindawgs <jack>

Solution to the bandwidth problems: Admins should start banning more. Yeah' date=' don't go easy. None of that ban report ignoring stuff, and no more "un-motd" ways. For example, in JailBreak, every day there is about 20-30 freekillers that deserve perma bans or at least long bans. Why no one bans? Because admins are not being admins.[/quote']

You don't know what you are talking bout. You should stop now, while you're behind.

Ok, servers we could drop if needed:

1) Customs - no1 plays that anymore

2) 1 of the bhop servers - most of our servers are in central anyway, having the Eastern one dropped wont do much - I'm Eastern and I don't lag on Central servers.

3) Sliderace - I dont't see anyone play that anymore - I played for alittle bit yesturday, and throught the day, I only saw 4 people on it - add a sliderace to minigames maybe?

There might be more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

But, thats just if we need to because we don't get enough donations/payments for admin or reserverslots.

RAWR LET'S ALL BLAME STAFF AND COUNCIL YA RAWR! No guys I'm pretty sure they are working(to support them selves and there families) a ton and then come home to HG and work some more I think us clan members can do a better job as a whole once I get a job and start actually getting money I will be happy to donate as much as I can.

Headshot.. here is the problem... dropping an unpopulated server will not help, most likely it will have to be office, D2DM, JB, Surf, Iceworld, crackhouse DM or TF2 servers. The issue is bandwidth, not empty servers.

Its all TF2's fault!

DAMN YOU POPULATION!!

Well we can rid the office deathmatch to try for more NTF pop. (if that is still up, I don't see on server list)

Also I see 3 dust2 servers on the list?

Reduce the slots on surf and zombie mod?

Possibly reduce slots on other pubs by 5-10? Would this assist in any way?

Can we determine which servers are creating the most bandwidth, and modify them in ways that assist our needs, with minimal player/playing interference?

Solution to the bandwidth problems: Admins should start banning more. Yeah' date=' don't go easy. None of that ban report ignoring stuff, and no more "un-motd" ways. For example, in JailBreak, every day there is about 20-30 freekillers that deserve perma bans or at least long bans. Why no one bans? Because admins are not being admins.

EDIT:

Some more ways -

Reduce server slots. 52 slots on Office is just far out. 46 is fine. Its a cluserfuck when server is full imo.

Eliminate mic usage. Microphones take alot of bandwidth, espicially if there are 2 or more people spamming mics or about 5 cts and 10 ts talking, attempting to resolve who its going to receive freeday. Imo D2DM does not require mics, because , well... Its DM.

Add more items to the cart. I wouldn't mind grabbing a snazzy T-Shirt from the cart.[/quote']

i say your a idiot. Keep your mouth shut. There is already a abuse post on the forumns from you and you basically opened your mouth to much now that staff and council are going to be watching you closley.

Also D2DM it's nice to have mics so stfu i'm one of the admins on there witch there is only few. And Typing in deathmatch doesn't always work especially when the nade spam is really going of. So Mic talk is much easier lots of ppl on there mostly have mics.

I say as pitbull stated i can see this guy is going to be some serious trouble and cause issues.

I think some of you missed DJs post. Taking away empty slots on servers and shutting down empty servers won't help. If it comes down to it, we will be shutting down a populated server. Those are what take up bandwidth. Right now, last time I looked, we were pushing 1.5 TB of overages. We bought an emergency 1 TB for about 100 bucks at the beginning of the month, but then our projected overages skyrocketed, and that 500 gb costs 25 cents per gb. And the bandwidth is only going to increase as summer rolls around and our servers fill up more.