Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Question about the servers

HD

So the servers are fully pretty much any time I check and try to join, and when I do happen to get in 9/10 times I get kicked. I would assume it's due to the last slot being for those with reserved slots only.

This brings me to my question, since finishing top20 in any 1 server gets you free reserved slots on all servers, would that include the TF2 servers?

So the servers are fully pretty much any time I check and try to join, and when I do happen to get in 9/10 times I get kicked. I would assume it's due to the last slot being for those with reserved slots only.

This brings me to my question, since finishing top20 in any 1 server gets you free reserved slots on all servers, would that include the TF2 servers?

Reserved slot is per server basis.

My mistake, misunderstood what is says on the left about the top 20. Assumed it meant if you're top 20 in 1 server, you get a reserved slot in all of them. Not that all server's give their top 20 a reserved slot.

'End of Month Winners receive Free Reserved Slots and HG Skins on All Servers!'

It's game-specific. If you get top20 in a CSS server, it wont work for a TF2 server because your steamIDs are different.

For CSS, your steamID begins with STEAM_0:X:XXXXXXXX. For TF2 it begins with STEAM_1:X:XXXXXXXX. The system thinks it's two completely different steamIDs.

If you have another HG server you enjoy playing on and want a reserved slot, just do the $5/month plan.

It costs less than most combo meals at fast food restaurants! You can't beat that :)

Or even better, $15/month for the admin package. Reserved slot + help keep the server clean :D

Side note, usually reserved slots are not included in the game info. Say a game shows 29 of 30 players on. The 30th is not the reserved slot. Reserved slot is just an idea that a player with the user flag can join the game even if it is 30 of 30 players on.

I will be corrected if I am wrong, surely.

If you have another HG server you enjoy playing on and want a reserved slot, just do the $5/month plan.

It costs less than most combo meals at fast food restaurants! You can't beat that :)

Or even better, $15/month for the admin package. Reserved slot + help keep the server clean :D

Side note, usually reserved slots are not included in the game info. Say a game shows 29 of 30 players on. The 30th is not the reserved slot. Reserved slot is just an idea that a player with the user flag can join the game even if it is 30 of 30 players on.

I will be corrected if I am wrong, surely.

At least last week, and at least on 2fort, the last visible slot was reserved. I had to wait for 2 free visible slots to be open before I could connect. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

It's game-specific. If you get top20 in a CSS server, it wont work for a TF2 server because your steamIDs are different.

For CSS, your steamID begins with STEAM_0:X:XXXXXXXX. For TF2 it begins with STEAM_1:X:XXXXXXXX. The system thinks it's two completely different steamIDs.

So how it is that when I click 'my hlstatsx' that it'll bring up both css and tf2? As far as I know, the steam id doesn't change from game to game.

From what I've been told (don't care enough to actually look) if you purchase the game online your steam account will start with a 0:0:xxxx and if you purchase a version with a cd it'll start with 0:1:xxxx. I might have that backwards, or I might be completely full of shit. But like I said, I don't think steam id's change from game to game

Skins in TF2 aren't worth having. As you said, it'd keep a lot of people from coming in due to download times and what not.

So how it is that when I click 'my hlstatsx' that it'll bring up both css and tf2? As far as I know, the steam id doesn't change from game to game.

From what I've been told (don't care enough to actually look) if you purchase the game online your steam account will start with a 0:0:xxxx and if you purchase a version with a cd it'll start with 0:1:xxxx. I might have that backwards, or I might be completely full of shit. But like I said, I don't think steam id's change from game to game

Not sure if its game to game basis, but my TF2 ID is 0:1 and I bought it online. When I play CS its 0:0

Alright so I wasn't right, but here's how the 0:0:xxxx and the 0:1:xxxx come into play

The Anatomy of a SteamID:

0:A:BBBB

Part 1:

The first "0" is part 1. This means absolutely nothing, as ALL SteamIDs have this.

Part 2:

There are two possible values for the "A" variable. The first possible value is "0", and the second possible value is "1". To clear things up, having a 0 does not mean that your account was registered sooner, while having a 1 does not mean that your account was registered later.

When Steam Accounts are being created, the client's computer sends the information to the Steam Account Registration Server (SARS). From there, the SARS will forward the packets to one of two servers, Authentication Server 1 (AS1) or Authentication Server 2 (AS2). Steam Accounts whose request was forwarded to AS1 will have "0" as the A value, while Steam Accounts whose request was forwarded to AS2 will have "1" as the A value. This method of forwarding the packets is used soley in order to reduce an overload of requests on one server, which would cause it to shut down. What this basically means is that for every "B" Value, there is only one "A" Value (either 0 or 1). For example, if 0:1:1335 exists, then 0:0:1335 does not exist. Now, when Steam was originally released, the system was not completely ready (yes John, you should have waited), therefore some of the early IDs (approximately 2 out of every 100) were registered on both authentication servers, resulting in two A values exists for each B value (for example, both 0:1:321 and 0:0:321 may exist). While this problem was corrected in a very short amount of time, an estimated 20-25 "duplicate IDs" may possibly exist. This doesn't create any problems, aside from possibly creating some confusion when people see both A values in a server at the same time.

Part 3:

The B value functions in the same manner as the Won Authentication System functioned. The first Steam Account to be registered was assigned "1" as it's B value. The Authentication Server (either AS1 or AS2) that registered it then communicated back to the SARS that it had assigned that B value, and it was therefore removed from the list of to-be-assigned IDs. These values are assigned in a continually increasing series (for all you math wiz's out there, the programming includes an arithmetic series [defined recursively]). As of now, over 10,500,000 B Values have been asigned. If the B value of your SteamID is a "four digit", then your Account was one of the first 9,999 to be registered, and if the "B" value of your SteamID is a "five digit", then your Account was one of the first 99,999 to be registered; et cetera...

Interesting? :confused:

Yea I guess. I have no idea really. I've just never heard of anyone's steamid switching from 1 game to another when they're on the same steam account.