Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Need help with a quiet headset mic

RageQuit

I'm using a Logitech USB headset that's over three years old, and recently, my microphone does not make my voice loud enough to be heard within Jailbreak. It seems to work fine in TS3 as people respond to me there, but on loudness tests on my laptop, the levels still don't fluctuate much unless I tap the microphone. I'm not quite sure what I should do (or if there even is anything I can do); I don't have an option for a mic boost in the control panel/properties, and I haven't adjusted anything within Steam as far as I know that would make it not work. Your feedback is appreciated.

Also, if it just happens to be my headset becoming less responsive due to its usage, any recommendations for a new headset? I wouldn't go cheap, but I certainly would not intend to look for something in the triple-digit price area.

A few things that might help.

First off, it could just be dirt or gunk on the condenser set... take off the pop filter (foam) if you have any, then hit it with a few shots of compressed air. Be sure to put the pop fliter back on afterwards.

Second, check your cables... it could be that the incredibly thin wire that carries the mic signal is falling apart, check the joints, hinges, connectors, etc... if the sound fluctuates while you're moving it around, then the mic is going and there's not much you can do about it.

Third, go into every setting you can find and crank your mic input. This includes manufacturer control panels (ie Creative), the windows panel (in XP, select "recording" under properties and turn up the slider, in Win7, open your recording properties -> the mic you're using -> levels and turn it to max. Also enable AGC if you have it.), Steam settings (under "Voice Transmit" and "Boost" and any on-cable or on-headset controls or "mute" buttons you might have.

If none of the above help and your headset is the kind that plugs regular headphone 3.5mm jacks into a USB adapter, then try a different mic (borrow one) in the mic jack without unplugging the USB adapter. this'll help you determine if it's the compy or the headset.

If it's nothing but a USB plug on the end, this won't work, since Windows creates a new rule-set for each new device. You can however try a different compy.

Good luck.

~Shino Puppy

have you checked in game with the voice options, if the voice transfer thingy or whatever is on max?

Also if you need to buy a new one, steelseries siberia v2 is nice :) but I'm pretty sure other people can recommend you better, other headsets :) I just like siberia for the nice colours and the decent price:p It's good quality nonetheless though!

All right, everyone, thanks for the help. I'm leaning toward getting a new headset, as fiddling with the current one has done virtually nothing. I have to hold the mic close to my mouth, and even then, it is still difficult to hear. Oh, well. :D

I have to hold the mic close to my mouth, and even then, it is still difficult to hear.

Yeah, your condenser (the component that picks up the sound) is shot, there's nothing you can do. You can go high end if you want (ie Razor), but I've found Logitech to be a pretty good brand, you should stick with that IMO.

I'm using a Logitech USB headset that's over three years old, and recently, my microphone does not make my voice loud enough to be heard within Jailbreak. It seems to work fine in TS3 as people respond to me there, but on loudness tests on my laptop, the levels still don't fluctuate much unless I tap the microphone. I'm not quite sure what I should do (or if there even is anything I can do); I don't have an option for a mic boost in the control panel/properties, and I haven't adjusted anything within Steam as far as I know that would make it not work. Your feedback is appreciated.

Also, if it just happens to be my headset becoming less responsive due to its usage, any recommendations for a new headset? I wouldn't go cheap, but I certainly would not intend to look for something in the triple-digit price area.

Before we jump to buying a new headset, do you have another computer to test this with? Chances are if you plug in your headset into another computer and it works FINE without issues.

It's probably a setting and/or multiple settings within multiple apps that's causing it.

Before we jump to buying a new headset, do you have another computer to test this with? Chances are if you plug in your headset into another computer and it works FINE without issues.

It's probably a setting and/or multiple settings within multiple apps that's causing it.

I've tried it on two other laptops; the same sensitivity issues persist.