Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

what video card should i get

creepa

I have 150 to spend. I was looking at the

ati 6850

or

geforce 550

can some one help me

I play the following games

csgo, bf3, wow, and ill be getting the new medal of honor. I would like to be able to run these games. if possible with only spending 150

If I can offer any point of advice, I would say this: opt for an Nvidia card over a Radeon card. The updating software, Catalyst Control Center and driver update process for the Radeon cards is ridiculous. Since owning a card from both manufacturers, I can say that Radeon has given me much, much more problems. It ran the gamut from drivers that just choose not to work on startup, or that just crash in-game with no reasonable explanation from Radeon (not to mention trying to update the Catalyst software will cause your drivers to crash spontaniously). No such problems so far with my Nvidia card. Take this with a grain of salt, but consider it my honest opinion.

I have a 6850, runs bf3 high ultra settings @ give or take 60 fps, also it overclocks nicely, 960/1135 from stock 775/1000

edit: also glass, those stories are so old, ive never had any problems with drivers from 11.10 all the way to 12.7

Edited by That.Short.Kid

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130770

$130 for the gtx 560 SE

Slightly better than the 550ti (card i currently have)

I'm extremely happy with my card. Its able to run bf3 on high settings with ease. The driver support for nvidia is and always has been better than ati. I'll always be an nvidia guy because of that.

I agree for the most part, if you're comparing the 6850 to the 560TI... and are primarily concerned about gaming; go for the 560 TI.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/330616-33-radeon-6850-nvidia

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1691549

http://www.overclock.net/t/1290621/7770-or-560ti

Even the new-gen 7xxx series equivalents seem to be falling behind (unless you're willing to pay more).

Driver hell is present in nvidia drivers (just not as much ;D)

Edited by enigma#

in core clock the 6850 beats the GTX 480 775mhz vs 700mhz for the gtx 480 but the memory interface for the GTX 480 is at 356 bit vs. 6850 at 256 bit. Effective memory clock for the the 480 is at 3696mhz vs. 6850 only at 1000mhz is somewhat is about even one other beats the other one. but gtx 480 should do it.

in core clock the 6850 beats the GTX 480 775mhz vs 700mhz for the gtx 480 but the memory interface for the GTX 480 is at 356 bit vs. 6850 at 256 bit. Effective memory clock for the the 480 is at 3696mhz vs. 6850 only at 1000mhz is somewhat is about even one other beats the other one. but gtx 480 should do it.

The 480 was the flagship of nvidia's 400 series at the time, it still runs circles around many newer cards today.

Given it's large size, draws a monstrous ~479 watts under full load, running very hot and simply being old technology it wouldn't be the ideal card for this situation.

In response to the OP, i vote for the 550 ti. You will be very satisfied with it's performance at your respective resolution.

The 480 was the flagship of nvidia's 400 series at the time, it still runs circles around many newer cards today.

Given it's large size, draws a monstrous ~479 watts under full load, running very hot and simply being old technology it wouldn't be the ideal card for this situation.

In response to the OP, i vote for the 550 ti. You will be very satisfied with it's performance at your respective resolution.

but why get a 550ti just save up and get something different than the 550 or 560 just add couple more dollars and get a 570 better performance than any of this card that you looking for.