Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Wanting a graphics card

DarkMonotone

What I have.

3.2 Quad Core AMD

HD Radeon 5770

MSI 870-G45 Motherboard

I want a new graphics card that can run a game like Battlefield 3 on high/ultra with 60 fps or around there. Keep it within a $1 to $200 range and it must be compatible with my current setup. I also have a question about HD, do I need a specific cord to my TV to get HD? Because for some odd reason every TV I have displays in 480P even if it's a 720 or a 1080.

Gonna need to spend some more money. At 200 bucks your gonna have to get a gtx 560 which wont run bf3 at 60 fps haha (assuming your tv is either 1080p or 720p).

But what is the tv? Does it have hdmi or dvi?

And if you cant get better resolution go to your gpu driver and make it hd.

Gonna need to spend some more money. At 200 bucks your gonna have to get a gtx 560 which wont run bf3 at 60 fps haha (assuming your tv is either 1080p or 720p).

I know a video card can run it at 60 for that price. In another thread, people were claiming their graphics cards were running BF3 at Ultra with 60fps, and that was for a $150. It's a Vizio and yes it does have HDMI support on it.

I know a video card can run it at 60 for that price. In another thread, people were claiming their graphics cards were running BF3 at Ultra with 60fps, and that was for a $150. It's a Vizio and yes it does have HDMI support on it.

They are lying (unless they are running at a low res). I have a gtx 570 and i average about 32 fps with a mix of high and ultra.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/13-Battlefield-3-DirectX-11-C-Extreme,Prix_fpricex100b200,2969.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/13-Battlefield-3-DirectX-11-C-Extreme,Prix_fpricex200b350,2969.html

There you go.

You just need a hdmi cord that goes from the gpu to the tv. Ezpz.

Found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130617

Refurb tho so warranty will be bad. Also you can fry an egg on that card.

They are lying (unless they are running at a low res). I have a gtx 570 and i average about 32 fps with a mix of high and ultra.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/13-Battlefield-3-DirectX-11-C-Extreme,Prix_fpricex100b200,2969.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/13-Battlefield-3-DirectX-11-C-Extreme,Prix_fpricex200b350,2969.html

There you go.

You just need a hdmi cord that goes from the gpu to the tv. Ezpz.

Might look into getting that, but what exactly makes a good graphics card? I always thought it was based on how much dedicated video ram it had, but if that were true wouldn't all graphic cards be the same?

Might look into getting that, but what exactly makes a good graphics card? I always thought it was based on how much dedicated video ram it had, but if that were true wouldn't all graphic cards be the same?

Gpu chip, core clock, stream processors, memory clock, and amount of memory all play a roll in how well the card performs.

they arent lying. I have a core i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2GHz with a GTX550Ti overclocked and on a 24 inch display @ 1920x1080 120hz i can run battlefield 3 on ultra with 60 fps....looking at the ground.

if i had a gtx 560 or 570 i could get 60fps easily. my next purchase is going to be a GTX 660, its about as powerful as a radeon 7950. the ASUS GTX660Ti DirectCU-II TOP rivals with the radeon 7970 in some cases.

tl;dr spend $300 and get a GTX 660 Ti

So based on the benchmarks (referring to this one mainly http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/13-Battlefield-3-DirectX-11-B-Performance,2968.html)

The gtx 570 averages 56 FPS with all settings on high No AA

Imagine if it was on ultra....

those benchmarks are averaged out with most of the gameplay being inside of explosions or smoke.

i dont play battlefield like that, and i don't know anyone that does.

also, my nvidia settings are on full performance for CSS. no AA or anything is enabled. my comp is also on full performance mode. something to keep in mind.

those benchmarks are averaged out with most of the gameplay being inside of explosions or smoke.

i dont play battlefield like that, and i don't know anyone that does.

also, my nvidia settings are on full performance for CSS. no AA or anything is enabled. my comp is also on full performance mode. something to keep in mind.

So you never get grenades thrown at you or drive through smoke or anything? Just circle the edges of the map and stare at the ground? Sounds fun. Also you have no proof of that...

Benchmarks are not done just in smoke and explosions. If I wanted to test the overall performance of my new car would I only drive it at 100 mph on bumpy roads?

I have proof and facts. You just have words.

RELATED TO OP

If you do spend 200 bucks try to grab a 560ti or look for a 580 used (from quality seller. Look for people with heatware). But with your cpu there might be a slight bottleneck if you get something better than a 570.

So you never get grenades thrown at you or drive through smoke or anything? Just circle the edges of the map and stare at the ground? Sounds fun. Also you have no proof of that...

Benchmarks are not done just in smoke and explosions. If I wanted to test the overall performance of my new car would I only drive it at 100 mph on bumpy roads?

RELATED TO OP

If you do spend 200 bucks try to grab a 560ti or look for a 580 used (from quality seller. Look for people with heatware). But with your cpu there might be a slight bottleneck if you get something better than a 570.

Will this work with my motherboard?

RELATED TO OP

i dont play close quarters. also, i do have proof. why dont you come to massachusetts and watch me play my games. also, i know they are not done in just smoke and explosions, that's why its an average frame rate. you get some in close quarters, some not. combine them together, you'll more or likely get shit avg because the close quarter frame rate is extremely low and the passive approach results in medium frame rates. keep in mind i also dont play in servers with more then 15 people. dont call me out on something you have no fucking idea about. i know my comp and how many frames i get playing battlefield, thanks.

i dont play close quarters. also, i do have proof. why dont you come to massachusetts and watch me play my games. also, i know they are not done in just smoke and explosions, that's why its an average frame rate. you get some in close quarters, some not. combine them together, you'll more or likely get shit avg because the close quarter frame rate is extremely low and the passive approach results in medium frame rates. keep in mind i also dont play in servers with more then 15 people. dont call me out on something you have no fucking idea about. i know my comp and how many frames i get playing battlefield, thanks.

So the proof is me buying a 700 dollar plane ticket to your place?

Don't contradict yourself. How can something be considered the average if it's mostly one thing or another?

I do not want to argue anymore. I am sorry feb for acting like an ass. I understand that you enjoy the frames and experience you get and that is all that matters. All I was saying is that if he wants everything maxed out hes gonna need to spend a little extra cash :P

I don't know what drugs some people are on, but a 550 ti will not run BF3 at 60 frames on Ultra at 1080p, end of story.

Coming from a guy who owns one, this is very very true. I can run it on High with a stable framerate at 1280x1024. If you're running 1080p you won't be able to run it on high, let alone ultra.

Okay, I redid the benchmarks, 1920x1200 in game Full Screen at ultra

Average 76 FPS in game

Peak of about 105 FPS

you can check it by opening up your console in BF3, you can get it to work

render.drawfps true

It'll help you give an idea of your FPS.

Enclosed is my fraps result.

I'm not really inclined to believe a mid class graphics card can handle BF3 @ ultra settings.

[ATTACH]7262[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7263[/ATTACH]

Edited by enigma#

So the proof is me buying a 700 dollar plane ticket to your place?

Don't contradict yourself. How can something be considered the average if it's mostly one thing or another?

I do not want to argue anymore. I am sorry feb for acting like an ass. I understand that you enjoy the frames and experience you get and that is all that matters. All I was saying is that if he wants everything maxed out hes gonna need to spend a little extra cash :P

Can we stop the debate, please? I'd rather you focus your time into my graphics card not whether or not February is correct or not. Also my other question is, will my processor work fine at 3.2 Quad? I can't really say who I want to believe here. I value Engima's opinion over everyone else simply because this is part of what he does for a living and he's well versed in computers. So my question is would a 570 or so handle BF3?

Can we stop the debate, please? I'd rather you focus your time into my graphics card not whether or not February is correct or not. Also my other question is, will my processor work fine at 3.2 Quad? I can't really say who I want to believe here. I value Engima's opinion over everyone else simply because this is part of what he does for a living and he's well versed in computers. So my question is would a 570 or so handle BF3?

Branflake, Mau5, Enigma and myself are all well versed in the computer field, we practically live in the Dev sub-forum.

As for your question, a 570 (preferably EVGA) would make your playing experience in BF3 enjoyable.

If you do go with EVGA, make sure to buy the model with external exhaust. HERE