Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Now hear me out....

Silly

I saw someones recruit app the other day and it said something like it would be awesome for a gmod sandbox server, I would definitley play on it Idk about you guys. I love sandbox, just most are filled with trolls/douchebags, I think if he got one it could increase gmod popularity, and plus we only have 3 gmod servers. so please take this into consideration :)

The real question is "Would it be viable to add a sandbox server for GMOD?" What exactly would this server bring that the three other servers for GMOD can't do or that would attract a ton of new users to it?

because the reason for gmod is to build and be creative. back when i first played gmod I used to only play sandbox because I thought it was so fun. Now they come up with PERP, DarkRP, Zombie Survival, and all these other mods. those mods are fun, but sometimes just building is really fun :)

I voted yes but I would like to add it would only be interesting if hg has enough people that would regularly play there and if the demand is big enough. Not cause 3 or 4 people say they'll play there a lot. Cause we've all seen with a lot of servers, where that ended..

I have never liked sandbox I found it a waste of time, but then again I'm not really a gmod person so that might explain :)

I'm going to do some thinking here so bear with me. I remember about a year ago we had a sandbox, and in the time we had it there was nobody on it after the first week. So if my reasoning is correct the only way this would work is if we constantly had a flow of people on it, but if you want sandbox why not just play single player mode? I just don't see a scenario where this server comes out and stays populated.

I'm going to do some thinking here so bear with me. I remember about a year ago we had a sandbox, and in the time we had it there was nobody on it after the first week. So if my reasoning is correct the only way this would work is if we constantly had a flow of people on it, but if you want sandbox why not just play single player mode? I just don't see a scenario where this server comes out and stays populated.

Makes a good point...

There's 3. Dark RP, PERP, and Zombie Survival. Each is filled with every distinction of vermin and troll imaginable.

Just like every other game...

There are extremely easy ways to crash sandbox's with very small and simple tools in wire and even the regular bland gmod. For instance an extremely fast wire watermelon spawner hooked up to a timer and your keypad. Make the props invisible and make the spawn time instant and never despawn. It's just a hassle to have these servers up. It's more of a hassle than it's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to have a sandbox server, but I see why it is more trouble than it is worth. Perhaps a Build RP server? Then it gives you a goal (doing your job) while still being able to have some fun building houses/shops or having battles with other people/gangs.

We could implement a gang system similar to Perp that would allow them to go to war with each other or make alliances, which would keep the troll level lower because there is actually something to play for rather than just building shit.

because the reason for gmod is to build and be creative. back when i first played gmod I used to only play sandbox because I thought it was so fun. Now they come up with PERP, DarkRP, Zombie Survival, and all these other mods. those mods are fun, but sometimes just building is really fun :)

So we would basically be creating another Minecraft server but with "better" graphics (i don't own gmod so idk how good they are) and things that is pre-built for you. All you have to do is place and interact. Hell it would be like Minecraft in the sense that you can play with people and create awesome shit... just to have a creeper (any possible troll) come strolling by and fuck up your day.

My vote is yes because altho it would be similar in nature to minecraft, the two games are completely different in term of "items" available to build and interact with. I do plan on getting gmod early 2013.