Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Hdd Noise Issues

jajolt

iPod is running out of battery, so I'll be breif.

My Hitachi Deskstar 1tb 32mb cache is making weird crunching noises. I just got it. Wasn't happening when I booted without an OS, but now it is.

Wondering if I partititioned incorrectly? Did a custom one at its recommended settings. Hitachi has a tool for it but data loss is possible. Need to make sure I know it's the partition before doing that.

EDIT: Make loudest noise when it's downloading something or right after I log in to my Windows 7 64 bit Home Premiun OS.

Thanks,

Jajolt

Edited by JOLT_-

My Hitachi Deskstar 1tb 32mb cache is making weird crunching noises. I just got it. Wasn't happening when I booted without an OS, but now it is.

That makes me think it is a mechanical issue. Maybe the drive is defective, which could explain why there is an absense of noise when the drive was first installed w/o the OS. With an OS, it has to spin & read the data off of the HDD, making the noise.

Wondering if I partititioned incorrectly? Did a custom one at its recommended settings. Hitachi has a tool for it but data loss is possible. Need to make sure I know it's the partition before doing that.

Someone else correct me if I am mistaken, but a incorrect partition will only make the hard drive not function properly. It won't make a hard drive make crunching noises.

Make loudest noise when it's downloading something or right after I log in to my Windows 7 64 bit Home Premiun OS.

This really makes me think the issue is mechanical in nature. When booting or downloading, the drive either has to read or write to the hard dive, if there is something mechanically wrong with it, this action could be making that crunching noise.

If I am mistaken, I am sorry. I am just going off of my intuition about the topic.

Edited by Reaper

Well, I am making the decision to RMA it because HItachi drive fitness test is a pain in the ass and it won't run for me. Going to see about an advanced warranty, but now I also have to call microsoft to get a new product key since I used OEM -_-

Well, good news bad news.

Good news: It's normal and not a sign of failing

Bad news: No way to stop it :/

Edit: It could be the metal cage shaking, will invest in an industrial rubber band.

Edited by JOLT_-

well that is good and yet sucks... Sorry, i just thought it was a bad hard drive. Best of luck dealing with the added noise.

It could still be failing, but the cage seems to be violently shaking and if I hold it (external, haven't opened it up yet) it quiets down a bit