Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Ban Heavy

Kinta

So, I can understand wanting to keep the servers clean of trolls and/or players that cause problems that ruin other players gaming experience. It seems to me that in some instances HG is getting a little ban heavy. What brings this up is my few moments in the Gmod PERP server just now. I know seeing the word PERP your first thought is "RDM" or some kind of typical thought of PERP or jailbreak that almost turns you off to reading the rest of this so I'll keep it as short as I can.

Just now I joined the PERP server and was running around for all of 5 minutes when a couple players start speaking in OOC.

"How many jews does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"

There really is no response to this joke because it immediately turns into a discussion about hitler and jews. During the 3-4 lines of this discussion nothing offensive was said nor was the word jew used in any insulting or joking form. The most insulting the word "jew" is used at all is in the one liner joke.

Let's take a look at the word jew:

http://www.google.co...iw=1440&bih=750

The response immediately though from an admin and "Divisional Leader" is, "Are you 2 serious? HG has 0 tolerance for racism. Enjoy your ban."

I make the comment that suggests there was no racism here and the response is that it is unnecessary and only one of the two players is banned.

Now, here is my question. Did this really deserve a ban? Perhaps said players could have been forewarned instead because after the comment:

"Are you 2 serious? HG has 0 tolerance for racism. Enjoy your ban."

Immediately both players expressed confusion to the "racism." I have seen and dealt with players in the past that have made racist comments then argued about it. That is understandable but have we gotten to a point where we can't even warn our players(keeping in mind there was no racism and only a joke that may have been somewhat offensive to others)? Now we just cue up the ban menu with comments towards our player that suggest how powerful we are like, "Oh really? Enjoy your ban."

I'm not saying I'm not guilty of being frustrated in the past and making rash decisions but it's because of this that I realize it's really not that serious and that our admin menu shouldn't be our response to such minor possible misunderstandings.

Thanks for the read,

Kinta

Edited by Kinta
  • Like 1

So any time anyone says anything a little offensive in a joking manner we ban them? If that's the case how do we keep a player base? How are there still members of HG because I've heard worse. In other words, exceptions are made and sometimes we don't take action? That's because we would have no players if we immediately banned everyone that said anything offensive.

Are you saying that someone could not have made an attempt at a warning? Is that no longer a possible solution to a problem?

Obviously, jews exist.

Edited by Kinta

• Executive Council

Our servers are not there for people to make these kinds of jokes. There are people from all over the world and of all kinds of religions playing on our servers. Respect is a key issue. These kinds of jokes are just disrespectful.

The person in question had already been disrespectful before. Even got a 2 hour ban for it prior to his current ban. And continued that behavior.

Watch me make the same thread in 1/10th the time.

I was in perp and XXX banned XX and XX.

[links proof]

I think they should have got a warning first, what do you think, UM?

The point wasn't who did what. I didn't mention any names. I'm sorry you were too lazy to read this but you did anyway so it works out.

"Our servers are not there for these kind of jokes.." Well understandably so but the day I make a joke that someone finds offensive and I get banned so be it. If I want to be overly formal I won't come online to game. I'll go find an event or something. I game for fun. I guess most of the online community has forgotten how not to be serious.

Edited by Kinta

The point wasn't who did what. I didn't mention any names. I'm sorry you were too lazy to read this but you did anyway so it works out.

Watch your mouth

This racism rule came form homer, go talk to him