Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Diy Mod Pc

enigma#

50ed81fdb3e14.jpg

This is a open-air style PC case. I spent 40$ on it and about an hour building it (mostly due to lack of decent instructions, at the end of it I was like screw it, logic time!)

It's a pretty interesting concept (and practical, depending on how much work you want to put in building one! xD)

Basically, it's a piece of vinyl plastic with mounting points for a motherboard (and under it you can mount your hard-drives, disk drives, solid state drives, etc...). This allows the user to easily manipulate the parts inside without having to open and close their case. (Great for people who like swapping out components or testing them)

From the software standpoint, there isn't really any strong benefit from doing it other than the possibility in reduced heat. I noticed when I first boot my PC with its new case compared to the case I had before (Thermaltake Element T), the temperatures dipped to a low of 28oC whereas usually ti's about 33oC+.

The video card (GTX670) on the other hand started idling at 37~43oC. As disappointed as I was on the idle temperatures, it never peaked more than 59 degrees in load (FurMark 1080p benchmark preset)

From the hardware standpoint, I found it finicky at times. The PCI-Express slots complained alot due to the lack of width although I think that's more so my mistake than the manufacturer.

A cool little feature I failed to recognise was the fact that the power buttons were built directly into the vinyl which was pretty interesting and not noticeable for me (eh, you probably will xD)

Pros

- Easy access to all hardware components

- Simple to build given the right instructions. I bet you the other open-air concepts are better than this one >.< (or probably it's the lack of effort on my part D=)

- Runs about 2-3 degrees cooler (Celsius)

Cons

- A lot of time required to build for a DIY mod

- For a piece of plastic with holes in them,it's a bit expensive

- Mounting PCI-E components was weird (I think that was more so user-error than the manufacturer xD)

- If you have a non modular power supply, you will notice the bulkiness of your cables running out of your PSU since the PSU cables face up towards the ceiling.

As well, I need lessons on cable management xD

Anyways, that's my first-hand and first experience of using an open-air case (heavily modded by me lol)

I have wanted a tech bench since I first built a computer. Unfortunately I have to many animals in my house and the hair would be ridiculous. Would like like a lion after a few weeks

My thoughts exactly, without air pressure regulation the presence of dust and hair would be absurd.

My thoughts exactly, without air pressure regulation the presence of dust and hair would be absurd.

I'll have to monitor that closely, with canned air it should be alright.

I don't keep any animals in my apartment so it wouldnt' be a concern atm.

• 2 weeks later...