Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Pc Idea

Thanks for the explanation, enigma#.

I'm sort of at a stalemate here

It's either get an i5 3570k w/ 7770 and 8GB 1333MHz RAM for $879

or... an AMD FX-8120 w/ 7850 and 16GB 1600MHz RAM for $859 ( price isn't just the CPU and GPU, this is a whole PC, just including these components.)

From the reviews i've been reading, The AMD-FX 8120 is great for multitasking (which I do, alot, writing essays, using photoshop, playing games) and is very easily overclock-able to over 4.0GHz if paired with the right cooling solution. (heard the stock fan doesn't perform very well.)

All i really heard about the i5 was that it's a better all-around CPU.

About the graphics cards, i really couldn't care, as long as i'm getting above 30fps on the game at 1920x1080 i'm happy. On all the benchmarks, the 7850 only began to stutter at 2560x1600 or 5760x1200 at around 18-24fps, while the 7770 was at about 15-20.

(benchmarks were on an i7 3770k machine, so not sure if performance will lower or stay the same)

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Changed my mind, getting a different PC.

Specs:

Product Features

AMD 8-Core FX-8120 Zambezi processor with NVIDIA GTX 650 graphics

For enhanced operation.

8GB DDR3 SDRAM

For multitasking power, expandable to 32GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive

Create custom DVDs and CDs.

8MB L3 cache memory

For efficient system processing.

1TB Serial ATA II hard drive (7200 rpm)

Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

NVIDIA GTX 650 graphics

Feature 1GB dedicated video memory for lush images. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.

2 USB 3.0 and 4 USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Built-in Realtek 8111E 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN

For quick and easy wired Web connection.

Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

pic:

41vM9edZ2mL._SY300_.jpg

Absolutely love the case design on this one

inb4 prebuilt-fag

it's $750 god damnit

Edited by Philosopher Daniel

If by multitasking you mean those few things you listed, then that isn't the processor for you. Dont buy a prebuilt. I'll warn you now, and if you do not listen that is your choice though you will come to regret it.

There are countless threads saying exactly the opposite about these amd processors as you think. Look into getting even an older 2500k and a 560ti. Down the road you will be happy as a gamer.

I'm doing my best to think this out here, i listed all the PC parts on newegg (7770 instead of GTX 650 and i5 3570k instead of the 8120) and it came out to be around $50 greater than this build. I'm thinking about it, i've dealt with pre-bulits before, my dad got me one for my birthday back in 2010

i7 920 and 5670 x2 for around $1,500 (950GBP)

i literally wanted to murder him for that one. when i could have gotten an i7 950 and a 5970 machine instead for way less.

anyways....

I'd like to know, what would you recommend i get, on a budget of $700-$850

443GBP-538GBP

I literally just said it. Read my entire post...

2500K and a 560ti or a 660

good advice there.

bulldozers performance is poor, slower than phenom x4s

piledriver is ok, but theres no reason to buy it over a 2500k/3570k for gaming

i5 are easy to overclock too. anyone can get 4.6 easy

you could be doing a lot better if you were to build a computer yourself

good advice there.

Don't know who you are but i like you already

• Like 1

good advice there.

I have a question for both you and anon, do you have proof that it's slower? You pull all of these claims out of nowhere where I have experience with both CPU's and supporting benchmarks that prove bulldozer is better.

And the 8150 is better than the phenom. Good job, plus the difference between the 8150 and 2600k is a few frames more for $120 more? 2500k is even $40 more which barely has the same scores.

SYSMark2007 - Overall:

Phenom II X4 980: 215

FX 8150: 201

heres a better comparison

http://www.anandtech...duct/288?vs=434

the fx is faster at encoding.

Edited by sweaty

SYSMark2007 - Overall:

Phenom II X4 980: 215

FX 8150: 201

heres a better comparison

http://www.anandtech...duct/288?vs=434

the fx is faster at encoding.

Did you ever happen to see this? http://legitreviews.com/article/1838/1/

Price always doesn't mean it's better. Isn't it amazing? Most people chose AMD over intel, 20% said there was barely a difference.

The AMD Reality Check Results:

• System C (Intel Core i7-2700K): 40 Votes
  • System D (AMD FX-8150): 73 Votes
  • No Difference: 28 Votes

Did you ever happen to see this? http://legitreviews....article/1838/1/

Price always doesn't mean it's better. Isn't it amazing? Most people chose AMD over intel, 20% said there was barely a difference.

So your argument, after being proven wrong by written facts, is that people chose AMD over intel so its better. Lol...

Benchmarks from 1 chip dictates an entire line? I'm talking from experience using both chips. Considering the little difference between the performance, AMDs price dominates Intel.

oh lordy... this again

please don't make this into an Intel vs AMD thread

AMD's market is different from Intel, when you talk clock to clock, there are a lot of things these two can do well and cannot do well.

If you talk about money, of course AMD is cheaper, they're not shooting for all markets. Their APUs are geared towards multimedia environments not just enthusiasts markets.

If you talk about spending money for a gamer computer, even i3s and i5s can hold their ground with similiarily priced processors. You're neglecting the fact that I can also buy a cheaper mobo and still retain a decent perforamnce processor wise

Moreover, HyperTransport runs faster than DMI and QPI, and yet Intel has done wonders in that department. Bandwidth issues aren't so much of a problem anymore. I think my comment about this is...

At this point, most gamers can get away with either. If you have the money and want maximum performance with or without overclocking Intel is your choice. With more efficient IPC ratings than AMD, your platform may or may not be expensive but what you do is just as crucial.

Synthetic benchmarks can only go so far as to dictate what it can do.

As a general rule of thumb, Intel is more efficient (not necessarily more power efficient though) in terms of IPC whereas AMD may have more raw power but may require more cycles to do the same thing.

http://www.anandtech...fx4300-tested/2

PLEASE stop with the faulty comparisons, if you really like AMD, good for you. Don't stick it down our throats.

Likewise, I like Intel, I know that in many benchmarks and even in cost, Intel will stomp AMD but only in some, others, GG Intel.

Time after time, Intel has proven themselves to have the more powerful processor. Why do you think companies in high power machines use Intel Xeon processors?

Stop this shit.

OP has already made his decision.

oh lordy... this again

please don't make this into an Intel vs AMD thread

AMD's market is different from Intel, when you talk clock to clock, there are a lot of things these two can do well and cannot do well.

If you talk about money, of course AMD is cheaper, they're not shooting for all markets. Their APUs are geared towards multimedia environments not just enthusiasts markets.

If you talk about spending money for a gamer computer, even i3s and i5s can hold their ground with similiarily priced processors. You're neglecting the fact that I can also buy a cheaper mobo and still retain a decent perforamnce processor wise

Moreover, HyperTransport runs faster than DMI and QPI, and yet Intel has done wonders in that department. Bandwidth issues aren't so much of a problem anymore. I think my comment about this is...

At this point, most gamers can get away with either. If you have the money and want maximum performance with or without overclocking Intel is your choice. With more efficient IPC ratings than AMD, your platform may or may not be expensive but what you do is just as crucial.

Synthetic benchmarks can only go so far as to dictate what it can do.

As a general rule of thumb, Intel is more efficient (not necessarily more power efficient though) in terms of IPC whereas AMD may have more raw power but may require more cycles to do the same thing.

http://www.anandtech...fx4300-tested/2

PLEASE stop with the faulty comparisons, if you really like AMD, good for you. Don't stick it down our throats.

Likewise, I like Intel, I know that in many benchmarks and even in cost, Intel will stomp AMD but only in some, others, GG Intel.

Time after time, Intel has proven themselves to have the more powerful processor. Why do you think companies in high power machines use Intel Xeon processors?

Stop this shit.

OP has already made his decision.

Our new terry everybody