Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Build For My Friend

Magic

So my friend is looking to build his own custom gaming PC and I thought you guys could make one for him. He wants to run high quality games and wants to use it for video editing as well.

1. Budget

A range would help or fixed price (how much are you willing to spend): $1500

2. Brand preferences

AMD, Intel, nVidia, Creative, Logitech... etc...:Intel

3. What do you plan to do with the machine?

The more thorough you are with this answer, the easier we can scope out what you'll need (and not need): Playing high quality games and video editing

4. Is there a place where you'd like to get the parts from?: newegg

5. What parts (if any) do you have already that you don't need upgraded?: He doesn't have any

6. Do you plan to overlock?: Yes

7. Do you have an OS (e.g. Windows) that you can use for this computer?: No, not yet

Just....No. I'll throw a build together when I get back.

Edit: Here it is. As far as keyboard/mouse goes tell your friend to go to the local computer store and put his hands on a few and see which feels better first. Last thing you want is to order a mouse and have it be completely uncomfortable in your palm. Same goes for keyboard, its all preference. Now the build without those 2 things came to $1450 so if you want to spend a bit more on a mouse/keyboard i'd downgrade the 660ti to the base 660. Still plenty of power pushing through that card. Theres also room to play with the monitor, as this is a 23" you could always downsize to say a 20. I've got the 24" of this monitor, love it though it gets quite cumbersome at times.

Anywho, here it is.

51128efeb67ae.png

Edited by AnonyHorse
  • Like 2

Just....No. I'll throw a build together when I get back.

Edit: Here it is. As far as keyboard/mouse goes tell your friend to go to the local computer store and put his hands on a few and see which feels better first. Last thing you want is to order a mouse and have it be completely uncomfortable in your palm. Same goes for keyboard, its all preference. Now the build without those 2 things came to $1450 so if you want to spend a bit more on a mouse/keyboard i'd downgrade the 660ti to the base 660. Still plenty of power pushing through that card. Theres also room to play with the monitor, as this is a 23" you could always downsize to say a 20. I've got the 24" of this monitor, love it though it gets quite cumbersome at times.

Anywho, here it is.

51128efeb67ae.png

What do you mean "just no" the build I put together out performs the build you put together in every way except maybe boot time and that you spent $100 more on a motherboard. Remember high end boards main purpose is overclocking and do you really think that you should encourage a first time builder to overclock on a $230 CPU.

Edited by Wookiefister

What do you mean "just no" the build I put together out performs the build you put together in every way except maybe boot time and that you spent $100 more on a motherboard. Remember high end boards main purpose is overclocking and do you really think that you should encourage a first time builder to overclock on a $230 CPU.

lol you know they're both unlocked processors and ffs it's 100 MHz difference. You know if you have a decent aftermarket cooler, the 100 Mhz won't matter so badly unless you plan to go insane (liquid cooler and more)

at this point, most games won't benefit 100% (not talking quantitatively speaking) from HT, while some may excel with the HT-enabled... some won't.

I'd say redirect your funds from a better CPU to the GPU, why?

Simply because if your primary purpose is to play games (and knowing gamers, they can make the excuse of 'video editing' 'photo editing' bullshit, most of it will be games rofl), then sacrifice the cores (which isn't that great of an upgrade unless you're working with SMT-aware apps).

With games, it's about IPC (frequency most of the time) not how many cores you can slam onto it.

If they're both overclock-capable, might as well go cheaper and push the chip to its limit =3

Don't take my word for it, here are some reviews for your review :P

http://www.tomshardw...0k-3770k-gaming

http://www.overclock...70k-vs-i7-3770k

http://www.mmo-champ...70K-or-I5-3570K

http://www.xbitlabs....0k_5.html#sect1

http://www.behardwar...d-i5-3570k.html

Addendum, here's another good one

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4621/intel_ivy_bridge_overclocking_with_the_core_i7_3770k_and_core_i5_3570k_cpus/index.html

So you think him overclocking with a more expensive CPU and a cheaper motherboard is a better option. What the actual fuck....

Here are some points about why i said "Just no..."

First off I'd like to see you try and run those specs on the power supply that you provided in that build. You are literally asking for something to go wrong. Second of all the case you suggested is absolutely awful regarding space, and if he's doing a custom build and dropping this much money I imagine hes going to want a nice case that he has room to build in. Thirdly the ram you suggested is more expensive and doesnt even include a heatsink.

Also if he's going to be building a PC for gaming, a WD Caviar Black would be a better choice considering the larger cache. That and an ssd is going to greatly increase loading times for games like battlefield. Honestly I don't understand why people always think the more money you drop on a cpu or video card you automatically gain more performance. Everything is situational so please do some research before giving people advice on things that are going to cost them a lot of money.

How would you feel if someone convinced you to buy a car, then it turns out that the car you bought was nothing like you wanted and a complete waste of your money. I think you'd be pretty upset.

Edited by AnonyHorse