Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Petabit Transmission Over Optic >.<

enigma#

CorningM.jpg

Optical communications and IT services provider NEC Corp. of America and fiber developer Corning Inc., have announced what they are calling “record-breaking results in transmission capacity over optical fibersâ€.

Researchers from the NEC Labs in Princeton, NJ, USA, and from Corning’s Sullivan Park Research Center in Corning, NY, successfully demonstrated ultra-high speed transmission with a capacity of 1.05 petabit/s (1015 bits per second) over novel multi-core fiber that contains 12 single-mode and two few-mode cores by employing the advanced space division multiplexing scheme and optical multiple-input multiple-output signal processing technique.

The NEC/Corning announcement follows that of NTT and three partners, who reported “ultra-large capacity transmission†in September 2012 of 1 petabit per second over 52.4 km of 12-core (light paths) optical fiber.

The NEC team said at the time that its achievement indicated that transmission of one petabit per second – capacity equivalent to sending 5,000 HDTV videos of two hours in a single second – would be possible over 50km, a typical distance between “medium-haul telecom officesâ€.

wow V.V

Geez, I wonder how much that'll cost ><

Rough estimate

Since they're doing it over 52.4 Km, average cost for one single mode fibre/foot is about 100 bucks.

($100 * 12 ) * (3280 ft/Km) * 52 Km = $204,724,409.45 for the single mode fibre (NOT including clustering it / labour / installation , and the equipment)

($100 * 2 ) * (3280 ft/Km) * 52 Km = $34,120,734.91 for the multimode fibre

So given the fact that these cables are probably meant for shorter distances, all that extra equipment would also up the cost.

Let's say a conservative value of a 15% increase:

275$ million dollars assuming all it's said and done. I did just a google of the average cost. It seems fibre cables can run anywhere between 25$ - $150 / ft (Depending on the type and whether it has the headers attached already or not etc...)

I would ask Clark as he has been pushing out fibre like a boss xD

Rough estimate

Since they're doing it over 52.4 Km, average cost for one single mode fibre/foot is about 100 bucks.

($100 * 12 ) * (3280 ft/Km) * 52 Km = $204,724,409.45 for the single mode fibre (NOT including clustering it / labour / installation , and the equipment)

($100 * 2 ) * (3280 ft/Km) * 52 Km = $34,120,734.91 for the multimode fibre

So given the fact that these cables are probably meant for shorter distances, all that extra equipment would also up the cost.

Let's say a conservative value of a 15% increase:

275$ million dollars assuming all it's said and done. I did just a google of the average cost. It seems fibre cables can run anywhere between 25$ - $150 / ft (Depending on the type and whether it has the headers attached already or not etc...)

I would ask Clark as he has been pushing out fibre like a boss xD

Holy crap....o.0

Im sure they would get a better deal than $100/ft is they were to run that much fibre. I would deff like some of that in my area though!

i would too, download the internet (~1 exabyte D=) in 3 hours xD

I'm not sure how fibre optics work but I'm guessin' it may a bit cheaper but if I remember correctly it depends on the type of fibre >.<