Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

[Suggestion] A Garry's Mod Half-Life 2 Rp Server

I will organize this thread into pieces, what it will do for the community, and for you that are unsure of what it is..

Part 1 - What it will do for the community.

I know what you are thinking, this guy just comes stepping in and wants a new server... here is my reasoning.

Half-life 2 Roleplay or abreviated HL2RP, is a serious roleplay gamemode base in the Half-Life 2 universe. This is meant for the more serious RPers... It's benefit to the community can be A) A more diverse audience

B) Another way to earn donations, for people that want benefits in-game C) It will introduce current members to the gamemode.

This Gamemode runs on CLOCKWORK, so it may be expensive, but I'm sure it will pay off.

Part 2

What it's about.

HL2RP is set in the HL2 universe. The Combine have taken over earth in 7 hours. They are a superior race with more technology than the humans will have in a big time.

There are no more “Copsâ€, the guys you see with metal masks and a uniform are Civil-Protection Officers who are human but have decided to join the Combine forces. Some Combine humans, such as the Overwatch, have had various brain washings and organ transplants. This makes them more obedient and combat-ready.

The Combine enforces Civil Law Codes and detains citizens who act rebellious. The Combine are not your friend so don’t run up to them saying “Can I have a hug?â€, the Combine Unit will probably just beat you. Their goal is to control humanity, moving on to planet after planet.

There are several playable factions:

(WILL ADD MORE DETAIL SOON)

Role-play is the act of playing a role as a character. Role-play in Clockwork usually consists of multiple game modes including HL2RP, New Vegas Roleplay, etc. When you are roleplaying you are essentially an actor, you're acting out the actions of your character you created.

Physical Descriptions

Each character has a physical description. When you are making your character you should have a full name. E.g “George Jamesonâ€, “David Lowgreen†“Sigmund Robertsâ€. Your characters physical description is how you would describe your character physical appearance. It should only contain information about how your character looks and not contain information about personality or history.

When approaching another character you will see there character description. This is because your character does not know there name. You can ask the character for their name, once you know there name the other player should press “F2†so that you can see their name.

Out of character

Being Out of Character, this is everything to do with you and not your character, for example in Hollywood an actor acts as his character after he finished acting he would take a break and be as himself. You being as yourself is you out of character hence the name.

Local out of character command is “.//†this is similar to global out of character yet local out of character is only in the proximity close to your character.

In Half Life 2 Roleplay If some citizens are messing around in LOOC [Local Out of Character], you will react also OOC, not make your character react to something that technically doesn’t exist/isn’t physically possible in the universe of your roleplaying gamemode.

Role-playing actions

Roleplaying actions, also known simply as /me’s in the roleplaying community. /me is the command used to describe an action that your character is doing. Here is an example that you type in the chat: /me sits down on the bench, and yawns. That is your typical commonly used /me. /me is used to do ANY action that is important to describe, such as a fist fight, melee combat, throwing, carrying, taking items, every action that is of importance that can mean something to other people around you.

On the servers different methods will be used during roleplaying the most common one is rolling. If your character wanted to punch another character in the face or wanted to run away from another character he would have to use a “/me†to show his action then a “/roll†which generates a number 1 - 100. The other character would have to do a counter action if he wanted to counter the other person action which then he would have to roll. The highest roll would win and there action would take place opposed to the other action.

The second most common method is play to lose which means when you are roleplaying an action you take into account the situation and the likelihood of your character winning. If you were to punch someone in the face the other person would be punched in the face as you are constantly playing to lose. (My Choice)

Injury RP

Injury Roleplay is when you are injured you must roleplay you are injured an example is if you fell off of a building then your character would roleplay having a broken leg or roleplay bleeding. If you are shot your character would not be able to run or walk away he would be in pain so its important to roleplay this.

Examples

**James Jameson screams in pain as he is shot, his leg is bleeding heavily and he cannot move.

**George Jameson holds his leg in pain as he yells out "Arggh!" as he feels his bone has broken.

Failure to InjuryRP on most servers will get you a short ban. (Depending on the server)

Clockwork Commands

// - Used for Global OOC

[[ or .// - Used for Local OOC /y - Used to yell, increasing the range that people can hear you. /w - Used to whisper, decreasing the range that people can hear you. /me - Used to describe an action that you are doing. /it - Used to describe your surroundings, or the status of an object. /roll - Used to randomly generate a number between 1-100. /changefreq [freq] - Used to change the frequency of your radio, if you have one. _______________________________________________________ Admin Commands. [basics] /plykick [name] [reason] - Used to kick out a person from the server. /plyban [name] [length] [reason] - Used to ban a person from the s

/y - Used to yell, increasing the range that people can hear you.

/w - Used to whisper, decreasing the range that people can hear you.

/me - Used to describe an action that you are doing.

/it - Used to describe your surroundings, or the status of an object.

/roll - Used to randomly generate a number between 1-100.

/changefreq [freq] - Used to change the frequency of your radio, if you have one.

Admin Commands. [basics]

/plykick [name] [reason] - Used to kick out a person from the server.

/plyban [name] [length] [reason] - Used to ban a person from the server for a certain amount of time, or just type -1 to ban them permanently.

/plygoto [name] - Used to teleport to a person. Note: This command is slightly bugged during early version of Clockwork.

/plybring [name] - Used to bring a person to your location. Note: This command is slightly bugged during the early version of clockwork.

First time joining questions for HL2RP

When you join for a first time you will be asked some questions. Some servers modify the questions to make them harder, the general idea of this is to stop people joining who have no knowledge of the gamemode so they cannot ruin it for others.

There are questions upon entering a new server...

The default questions are:

You do not need weapons to roleplay, do you understand?

This is designed to show players that if you are joining the server that you do not need any type of weapons to be able to play the game. Serious roleplay is usually based on developing your character and not on who can get the biggest weapon first. If you have any intentions of getting the biggest guns first I do not reccomend this gamemode, I suggest you try DarkRP which is much more suited to your needs and you will find it much more fun. This question is asking you a simple yes and no answers. The answer is of course Yes.

Can you type properly, using capital letters and full-stops?

It is important for you to type capital letters and full stops. People with good grammar and spelling are important to this gamemode. The answer is of course "Yes, I can."

What do you think serious roleplaying is about?

This is an important question to make sure you realize that you are suppose to develop your character as I said earlier its important to give your character a story and personality, the answer for this is obviously. "Developing your character."

What universe is this roleplaying game set in?

This is to test you have at least some basic knowledge of the game. The answer is "Half Life 2"

You do not need items to roleplay, do you understand?

This is to make sure you realize that roleplay can be passive, you can roleplay with fake items as long as its not power gaming or stupid. The answer is "Yes."

Glossary:

IC - In Character

OOC - Out of character

LOOC - Local out of character

Roll - The act of rolling to get an outcome.

Metagaming - Taking information you have gained from out of character and taking it into character. An example is if someone told you a secret door in the map you know this out of character yet IC your character does not know about this door, therefore if you showed any signs of knowledge of that door in character you would be metagaming.

P2L - Play to Lose

S2K - Shoot to kill, this is where you can shoot somebody and kill them without having to use any roll’s or other deciding systems.

S2I/S2H - Shoot to Injure is where you can shoot somebody to injure them yet you have to roleplay killing them.

S2M - Shoot to miss is where you shoot and miss the person on purpose so that you have to roleplay killing them.

M**ge - This offensive word which is the definition of female gentials. Is what people out of character call players who do not know how to roleplay correctly.

RDM - Random Deathmatch

EXTENDED WITH COMMUNITY INPUT:

BathroomRP: Not really official, but it's where you go /me zips down pants, and urinates into toilet.

EroticRP/SexRP: Can be abused by horny little kids. It's basically RPing sex. Like /me puts penis into Sarah's vagina, and begins to thrust. Then Sarah could do: /me moans and groans with delight.

PassiveRP: There are two types, friendship and relationship. Pretty easy to understand.

One of my most memorable RP experiences is I was on my char Benny, and I was walking through slums, 3 girls,(Mars, Viola, and Zayna) 2 with guns and rebel uniforms (Mars and Zayna) the other unarmed and in the citizen issued clothing (Viola) told me to follow them, we go into a bar, and one of the girls named Mars, shot down the door with her shotgun, finding two other girls, and told them to take a dice and to /roll, lowest number would be raped with whatever the fuck they found lying around, the one with the highest would be raped by a normal penis. Girl 1 got the lowest number, so lucky Viola had to rape girl 1 with a plank of splintery wood, that had rusty nails in. (The PainRP was horrible. We had to imagine blood. Everywhere) Girl 2, got the highest number. So lucky me had to rape her, the Chinese Army later came in, shot my dick off, a Vort put it back on, and yeah. We all went home.

Thank you for reading through this painful topic, and please, think about it.

Edited by Cynical

I FUCKING LOVE HALF LIFE 2 ROLEPLAY! I have 2 alive characters and had 1 character whose dead.

Dr.Jennifer Weasly/Jennifer Fedora/Jennifer 'Lefty' Weasly: My char was a southern medical doctor who worked for Lambda, till she was captured by the CCA (Combine Civil Authority aka Metropolice/Combine, she got drunk and was fooling around) she was interrogated, and got her right hand cut off, after she got back, her husband was kinda a dick, so she divorced him, got kicked out of Lambda, almost got raped and almost killed her rapist, then shortly after that became homeless, became bat-shit crazy, became a cannibal, and then shortly was killed by a man who she tried to kill and eat. She crawled back to Lambda, to apologize everyone, before passing away. (She was perma killed)

Colton J Mcallister:

My longest living character, a loyalist who owns his own shop called Mcallister's Books 'N More!

Benny 'Dasher' Jenkins/ Benny 'Speedy Gonzales' Jenkins: A 20 year old, I based off the Team Fortress 2 Scout. He has ADHD.

Serious Roleplay IS the best roleplay. Because in lite you just grow drugs and shit. Serious PERP/DARKRP still fucking blows, but not as much, it's where if you die you are dead forever, and characters can get friends, get married, and either live a good live, live a shitty life and either get Amputated by the Combine, killed off by the resistance or by some asshat in the slums, pass away from a disease, or commit suicide, where the fun begins.

You forgot a few things to mention.

BathroomRP: Not really official, but it's where you go /me zips down pants, and urinates into toilet.

EroticRP/SexRP: Can be abused by horny little kids. It's basically RPing sex. Like /me puts penis into Sarah's vagina, and begins to thrust. Then Sarah could do: /me moans and groans with delight.

PassiveRP: There are two types, friendship and relationship. Pretty easy to understand.

One of my most memorable RP experiences is I was on my char Benny, and I was walking through slums, 3 girls,(Mars, Viola, and Zayna) 2 with guns and rebel uniforms (Mars and Zayna) the other unarmed and in the citizen issued clothing (Viola) told me to follow them, we go into a bar, and one of the girls named Mars, shot down the door with her shotgun, finding two other girls, and told them to take a dice and to /roll, lowest number would be raped with whatever the fuck they found lying around, the one with the highest would be raped by a normal penis. Girl 1 got the lowest number, so lucky Viola had to rape girl 1 with a plank of splintery wood, that had rusty nails in. (The PainRP was horrible. We had to imagine blood. Everywhere) Girl 2, got the highest number. So lucky me had to rape her, the Chinese Army later came in, shot my dick off, a Vort put it back on, and yeah. We all went home.

• Like 1

Thank you for agreeing with me, it can be put to good use, please just think about this.. I would even RUN THE ENTIRE THING, if you didn't want to.

You wouldn't have to do work, we'd get more members, we'd have a new server, we'd be happy :D

Edited by Cynical

• 8 years later...