Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Weight Vests

DeathShot

So, I've heard mixed opinions/"facts" on weight vests lately. Some sources say that they help and they really don't have a downside, while other sources say that they DO have downsides and can seriously injure you (mostly your back.)

I just wanted to know if any of you have ever used weight vests and what your experiences with them were/are and if you would recommend them. I want to get more into shape this summer and I was planning on doing cardio when my friends brought up possibly trying a weight vest and telling me that it can help give you a better workout.

Lastly, I was wondering what I should start at. I was looking at a 20lb vest to start, and maybe progress over the summer. Thanks. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-20-lbs.-Adjustable-Weighted-Vest/5481392

Are you currently in decent shape/can run for a long period of time? What are your goals besides just being in shape.

I'd just hit the gym and lift weights then run normally for cardio.

The vest wont hurt you really (will be sorer after running)

But if your overweight or not very physically active then I wouldn't start with it haha.

(I currently own a hat with rhinestone crosses on it, I know what i'm talking about)

Are you currently in decent shape/can run for a long period of time? What are your goals besides just being in shape.

I'd just hit the gym and lift weights then run normally for cardio.

The vest wont hurt you really (will be sorer after running)

But if your overweight or not very physically active then I wouldn't start with it haha.

(I currently own a hat with rhinestone crosses on it, I know what i'm talking about)

Well, I have gotten somewhat out of shape other the past couple of month. I personally just want to be a more efficient runner and a bit faster. So would you recommend just standard excersize at first, and then slowly using the weight vest more and more? Honestly, my first thought was that since Im a MUCH stronger sprinter than long distance runner, I would be able to put the vest on during sprints and it would help me progress much more efficiently.

Well, I have gotten somewhat out of shape other the past couple of month. I personally just want to be a more efficient runner and a bit faster. So would you recommend just standard excersize at first, and then slowly using the weight vest more and more? Honestly, my first thought was that since Im a MUCH stronger sprinter than long distance runner, I would be able to put the vest on during sprints and it would help me progress much more efficiently.

For speed I would hit the gym hard. My friends in track (pole vaulters and long jumpers) did nothing, but lift and do there jumps. In your case I would lift (full body not just legs back is equally important here) and run with the vest if you want to be iron man. The vest after a while is gonna become part of your body and will cause a plateau effect. It can only do so much.

For speed I would hit the gym hard. My friends in track (pole vaulters and long jumpers) did nothing, but lift and do there jumps. In your case I would lift (full body not just legs back is equally important here) and run with the vest if you want to be iron man. The vest after a while is gonna become part of your body and will cause a plateau effect. It can only do so much.

I understand, thanks. But, they do make heavier weight vests (up to 50lb I believe). Would it help if I were to slowly add 10lbs at a time (20, 30, 40, 50) as I get more used to the previous vest? And from this post, I take it you do recommend using the vest (after getting in better shape without the vest) for running? Lastly, do you think it would be better to wear a 10lb vest in the beginning, or would there not be much of a difference since 20lb isnt too overwhelming for me since I played football up until this year?

I am definitely no fitness expert but I have carried drums and whatnot from harnesses for 15+ years and I would imagine that people are correct when they say it could lead to back problems. The only reason I could think of that could prevent it from causing problems is if the weight is distributed evenly all the way around otherwise it is pulling your body a certain way.

I understand, thanks. But, they do make heavier weight vests (up to 50lb I believe). Would it help if I were to slowly add 10lbs at a time (20, 30, 40, 50) as I get more used to the previous vest? And from this post, I take it you do recommend using the vest (after getting in better shape without the vest) for running? Lastly, do you think it would be better to wear a 10lb vest in the beginning, or would there not be much of a difference since 20lb isnt too overwhelming for me since I played football up until this year?

Start at ten. It may not be a difference to your body at first, but it will at some point. You don't want to be five miles away from home and go "o fuck i gotta go back" and pass out trying to run home haha (i do this on my bike a lot). Just ease into it.

A weighted vest can work different ways depending n how you use it and what kind of exercises you do. If you want to build stamina and be able to run for long periods of time then start with low weight like ten 10lbs and run for long periods of time while slowly increasing weight after awhile.

If you want that quick agility from the beginning I would still suggest start with 10lbs but increase the weight faster and while you increase weight shorted your running distance.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...