Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Need Advice/help On My Build.

BLazEN

I'm making a gaming PC and need help on a few things before I go into buying these things. I'm going to share my build with you guys and hopefully someone with pure knowledge on this stuff can help me out or give me suggestions (In a budget between $1,700 - $1,800)

Graphics : GTX 760 (x2)

CPU : i7 4770K

HSF : NH-U125

Mother board : Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H

Ram : 8Gb

HDD : 1TB

SDD : MS5 256Gb (x2)

Power Supply : Seasonic X750 Gold 750W

Case : NZXT switch 810

Edited by BLazEN

Looks like a solid build. i5 4670k will suit your needs if you just want to do gaming and a little of video rendering or photoshop. Is that NH-125 a noctua fan? If so then that will be a good choice as they have good reputation of making silent and great performing fans. Can't go either wrong with MSI or Gigabyte for motherboards; they are both great, it should be up to you if you going to take advantage of its features. You can save a little money if you go with the Corsair PSU because its a rebranded Seasonic PSU, but it will work just as good.

Go with the gig board, no on the frio, 8b of ram is fine, go to one 1tb hdd and then 2 of the ssds (if your like me they will fill up quick with games XD) and go with the seasonic if your budget can handle it. Some of the parts on the corsair are from seasonic, but the build quality/support of the seasonic def make it stand out. Also I am not really a fan of xfire/sli strictly because a lot of 3d modeling programs that I run at work (maya, archicad and revit) do not support it. Go with a 770 or 780 and you will crush every game out.

Also the haf x is a monster. I enjoy a clean looking pc and the haf has decent features but it is a little childish to me. Look into the NZXT switch 810 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146095 or something less over the top haha. I wanted the haf x until i actually saw it.

Also if your into quietness/ cooling http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18290/ex-wat-242/ if you can find it instock. Just got mine and i love it. Pretty easy to install with the right case.

Alright thank you bran, I'll be def changing the Haf X case with the NZXT,( I like to slick clean style ) as for the fan I can probably switch the HSF as well, considering the quietness/cooling behind it even though it's a bit more expensive than the current two listed but I will look into it. Also I was leaning towards the Seasonic since the beginning so that clears up my choice. Alright so 1 HDD and 2 SDD(Yeah I also got a lot of games I install, and with all those cool free MMO's/Rpg out there coming out in the near future I can def get behind that. and also cause of this cursed steam sale going on atm). Hm I'll stick with the 770 then.

SSD brands to look out for

OCZ: ruh roh (unless you plan to get a REvodrive or Velodrive xD)

Samsung: Pro series pls if you want good throughput on reads/write

Intel: reliable and reasonable consistnet in performance (as in.. you get closer to peak R/W speeds than compared to many brands who advertised these high R/W speed)

Corsair: no personal experience but I see mostly positive reviewws with it

-

On your choice of SSD, depending on how much your'e getting that M5 for... you better be getting a good price. Plextor isn't that great in the performance department but they aren't as bad as the value-wise SSDs.

Given that you're going for a 256 GB version of it, I assume you've budgeted about $200-400. At that price range, there are many SSDs that do reasonably better.

e.g. Samsung Pro series, Corsair Neutron...

I would personally suggest some of the new Asus z87 boards. The gamming line of Asus is the R.O.G republic of gamers and their boards have the highest quality of capacitors and such for overclocking. Their new overclock software is very useful and i have used personally. They have easy software for new overclockers and for skilled. Also more than 50% of people who buy the Asus boards use the software that comes with it. I strongly suggest that you check out their new z87 line.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1jbFp

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1jbFp/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1jbFp/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($59.99 @ Microcenter)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.50 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($154.78 @ Newegg)

Total: $1738.20

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-21 20:31 EDT-0400)

Single graphics are always better than dual graphics, removes microstutter and upgradability in the future, if you get 2 760 you max out ur possibilities. Haf X is huge and unneeded, if you still want it its not bad but biiiig. Not a large point of getting a better mobo than the UD3H on Haswell unless you are a hardcore overclocker because your OC limit on haswell will not be your power delivery at this point, but your cooling. Thats why i put the closed loop cooler in to cool more than a frio would, ud have to go to like a NH D14 to get this cooling on just air. I did put 1333 speed ram on accident, you can change that but it really wont matter, i wouldn't go higher than 1600 speed cas 9 if u want to maximize price/performance.