Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Computer After 1 Mo. Vacation...

jajolt

I need a lot of help...

So basically, everything runs slow, windows explorer keeps crashing, steam wouldn't update tf2, or reinstall it. Task manager only recognizes 1 stick/4 gigs of my 2 sticks/8gigs of ram. My fans keep running after shutoff. Which has never happened to me before and I've had this computer since November. It's also been off the entire month so I doubt it's any cooling thing.

Booted with 1 stick of ram and alternated, no errors.

Thanks.

These are some super helpful replies.

Anyway, if you've switched out your ram and it started fine with one stick, try putting one stick in each of the slots. Could something happened to the board, power outages/surge and if you didnt have a surge protector on it it could very well have done something. Sounds pretty odd to me, I'm sure someone like enigma can help a bit more as I dont have a lot of diagnosing experience. Him or monkey are probably your best bet. I'd say terry taco but i think he died.

May have been a power outage or something.

Run memtest (link) see if it gets any errors.

Is it blue screening? If so post the event viewer.

Try a system restore. If that doesn't work reset the cmos on the mobo.

To me it sounds like a motherboard problem. Can you post the specs of the pc. Had a few pc's with a similar problem to this. After running a ton of test (prime95 for temp test, memtest and hdd test) we called lenovo and they said the boards on them were recalled haha. They replaced for free. Small chance it is the psu.

Edited by BranHorse

Core components are-

ASUS M5A88-M mobo

AMD 6200 FX processor, not over clocked

Stock cooling

Corsair TX-650 psu

8 gb of Corsair venegance RAM, 2x4 gb.

AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 GPU

Couldn't have been anything with the electricity in my house because I had it unplugged and the surge protecter was also unplugged

No blue screen, will run memtest and reset CMOS today.

EDIT- Now it didn't boot, powered up and had no POST beep. Screen stayed black. I've had the no post issue before though.

So I would try taking everything out (video card, ram, sound card, ect) and just leave the motherboard, cpu, fans connected....

Try to start

if it starts added one stick of ram

if that starts add the other one (with the first one still connected also)

if it starts then add video

and so on

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you do this you should be able to find out whats going on, also could there have been any type of moisture in the house or animals that could have pissed on it? (has happened to me damn cats)

So I would try taking everything out (video card, ram, sound card, ect) and just leave the motherboard, cpu, fans connected....

Try to start

if it starts added one stick of ram

if that starts add the other one (with the first one still connected also)

if it starts then add video

and so on

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you do this you should be able to find out whats going on, also could there have been any type of moisture in the house or animals that could have pissed on it? (has happened to me damn cats)

Well I got a boot, but it blue screened.

Then it booted in, showed my wireless menu but no desktop at all.

EDIT: Now it completely booted in, but task manager still says there's only 4 gigs of ram.

Guest The_Monkey

I got an error in windows -- one stick of memory couldn't be read

So I'm guessing to get a new stick of memory?

Be sure to run memtest on the other piece of memory by itself.

I need a lot of help...

So basically, everything runs slow, windows explorer keeps crashing,

Typically (assuming no malware) indicates either your memory is going bye bye or your HDD/SSD is going bye bye.

A few things to do as well

Run the System File Checker

start an elevated prompt (Cmd.exe)

type in

sfc /scannow

let it do its thing

it's a good way to rule out integrity violations of files

Check your event viewer (system) logs and watch for failures

As well, run your computer in safe mode and see how it behaves.

If it'sjust as slow, it's more likely it's hardware than software. (this effectively eliminates startup programs)

Easiest way to figure this out is Resource Monitor.

Check the graphs to the right (Example below)

51f812c3a9e0e.png

Go to the Disk tab and check the average disk queue lengths... they should always be below 1. If they're above 1, you're thrashing your hard-drive/ssd. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it isn't a good thing either as you are pushing your disk to do more than it should.

steam wouldn't update tf2, or reinstall it.

Delete clientregistry.blob and try installing it again. Make sure you have adequate hard-drive space.

Do you get an error message when it tries to update?

Task manager only recognizes 1 stick/4 gigs of my 2 sticks/8gigs of ram.

Presumably, like the billion replies that mention memtest, please do so if you can with the failing ram stick and the regular ram stick. (switched out)

My fans keep running after shutoff.

Which has never happened to me before and I've had this computer since November.

It's also been off the entire month so I doubt it's any cooling thing.

Usually indicates a motherboard or PSU issue, try switching the power plugs that go to it (assuming it uses the same power plugs)

The mobo might not be signalling the fans to spin down due to an improper power send command (ACPI usually dictates that stuff).

Booted with 1 stick of ram and alternated, no errors.

If I understand you correctly, you can boot with 1 RAM stick but not with the other.

Do you have 4 RAM slots to work with?

Check that you're using 0,2 v 1,3 not 0,1 v 1,2 v 0,3

If it's two RAM slots, it may indicate another issue. We will need the kernel memory dump to really figure it out.

You can find kernel memory dumps in C:\Windows\minidump\ or in the root of Windows labelled memory.dmp.

Going back to the basics, we can attribute many of your issues to (a) hardware issue(s) but I would strongly suggest ruling out software before to ensure you're not spending unnecessary time troubleshooting the hardware itself.

• Like 1

Typically (assuming no malware) indicates either your memory is going bye bye or your HDD/SSD is going bye bye.

I think it's the memory, as stated above

Go to the Disk tab and check the average disk queue lengths... they should always be below 1. If they're above 1, you're thrashing your hard-drive/ssd. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it isn't a good thing either as you are pushing your disk to do more than it should.

Where is this?

Delete clientregistry.blob and try installing it again. Make sure you have adequate hard-drive space.

Got it working, had to wait about 30 minutes for it to prepare but then the download began

Do you get an error message when it tries to update?

No, but it's fixed now.

Presumably, like the billion replies that mention memtest, please do so if you can with the failing ram stick and the regular ram stick. (switched out)

Will do this tomorrow.

Usually indicates a motherboard or PSU issue, try switching the power plugs that go to it (assuming it uses the same power plugs)

The mobo might not be signalling the fans to spin down due to an improper power send command (ACPI usually dictates that stuff).

Not doing this anymore.

If I understand you correctly, you can boot with 1 RAM stick but not with the other.

I can boot with both (last I checked, I'll do that again right before the memtest.)

Do you have 4 RAM slots to work with?

Yes.

Check that you're using 0,2 v 1,3 not 0,1 v 1,2 v 0,3

If it's two RAM slots, it may indicate another issue. We will need the kernel memory dump to really figure it out.

You can find kernel memory dumps in C:\Windows\minidump\ or in the root of Windows labelled memory.dmp.

Since I have 4 slots, will I still need to do this?

Going back to the basics, we can attribute many of your issues to (a) hardware issue(s) but I would strongly suggest ruling out software before to ensure you're not spending unnecessary time troubleshooting the hardware itself.

So what all would this involve besides maybe running a full virus scan?