Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Time Out.

Zekk

(Just got back from a long vacation to read the forums. This is the result of digesting what I just read.)

Greetings fellow strat gamers and management,

Today I find myself wondering just why there are so many angry and spiteful remarks that are tossed back and forth every time strat division asks to have proper representation within HG's management structure.

Yes, I agree we are not the same as other divisions. We have no servers. Ect.

But do we have less to worry about? Hardly.

We have people over a broad age range from all walks of life. We have both more mature and more immature people. We have our own ts3 channels that are badly in need of moderation. We have the potential to put together many events. We don't have to do tournaments, as some people are so hung up on. We have Aram in league, we could have a 3v3 team. We could do giveaways and many other things. Starcraft, while not my thing, has many other opportunities for events. There is dota and there is civ5 and 4. Many of us consider left 4 dead as strat as well.

Some of the complaints against strat are that:

We are not well defined.

We are not well organized.

We don't need management.

I say we do need management. Probably even more than people realize.

I agree that members in strat can run events. But when and if we do. We would need to bug the living day lights out of some other divisions managers who have their own work and problems to advertise our event or help moderate our channels during our event. You see members can plan things, but we have no more or less say than any other member. If someone wants to create a problem or needs help. We can't do anything about it but refer them to someone else.

This whole issue is another stark reminder that we have little to no voice in management.

Every time these issues arise, they are pushed aside by other management as irrelevant. Because strat doesn't matter to you. You have decided that we don't need to have a voice. You have even taken to the forum and said we don't need a voice. And that you are tired of hearing it from us.

This persistence in and of it self shows that there are those of us out here in strat that care about our division.

That being said.. I believe that the negative comments flying back and forth from members of management and members of strat division alike are both equally unacceptable.

First of all you should not be able to be promoted to management if your not able to take a step back and realize that while you feel one way, that others are entitled to their own feelings and opinions.

Conversely, as members, we have to realize that not everything in HG is going to go the way we might want it to go.

People who are active don't always get promoted, if they were, we would all be managers.. and that is not useful at all. secondly,people who are promoted cant always be active. We all have our own real lives.

Thirdly, until we as a unit show we are interested in doing more, we can't expect management to take that on faith.

As a community, HG needs to be run the way that it is going to be profitable and self perpetuating.

While I believe strat could be run more efficiently with 2DA's and a Dl, my opinion means next to nothing as a solitary member. (See how that works?)

I have to put my faith in management to be both fair and balanced in their decisions. And try to work together with what management we have to do the best we can do for ourselves.

That's what being part of a community is all about.

• Like 1

I agree. We are going in the right direction now. It just pains me to see so much anger amongst us.

I also have to say that because I have been gone for almost three weeks, I have missed a lot I'm sure. I'm glad to hear about BigJ.

Edited by Zekk

I agree. We are going in the right direction now. It just pains me to see so much anger amongst us.

I also have to say that because I have been gone for almost three weeks, I have missed a lot I'm sure. I'm glad to hear about BigJ.

i got it dood, everything is gravy now, we recruiting, we doing clan war/events, we having fun, the people are happy,

i would like too see more pplz for the LoL stuff but i would like to tackle 1 thing at a time no need to put alot on our plates right now

• Like 1

Its not that we don't feel that there should be "management" in the strat division, we just don't see that there is a need... Servers isn't entirely the issue, but the members in it... We don't need a dL or someone to moderate the division because there isn't a division, its just a bunch of diverse games in one group... The only reason there is a dA is for helping to construct events, which when there was events, no one partook in them...

We just had an FFA Sc2 event... How many showed up? A full game, and more wanted to come but it was full...

And in return Strat got a new advisor... BigJ.

Managing the members isn't a big required job considering that there is no servers... Only place is applications, maybe Ts3, and events...

But to a dL in CS:S, they are needed for, abuse reports, final ruling in decisions, rules, watching their advisors and other things... What would a dL have in Strat? He'd/She pretty much just find ways of promoting his/her division, events, and making sure his/her advisors are doing their jobs...

There isn't a big enough job that a dL, or another dA is needed...

• Like 1

There is definitely a need for a 3rd leadership position in Strategy. If BigJ and I both have other commitments that we have to do, the rest of the members cannot recruit because there is no one to approve applications, etc. I strongly believe that having one dL and two dAs for strategy is the winning number. We need a dL to keep dAs doing their jobs, and to make the strat division be taken seriously. Without a dL, we are inherently considered a lesser division. We cannot make channels for events, and dAs have to go to uM if we have questions.

The strat division is growing rapidly, as shown by the consistently full Starcraft 2 channel, and there is a need for a division leader. If upper management really wants the strategy division to become a strong division, it needs proper leadership just like every other division of HG

• Like 2

There is definitely a need for a 3rd leadership position in Strategy. If BigJ and I both have other commitments that we have to do, the rest of the members cannot recruit because there is no one to approve applications, etc. I strongly believe that having one dL and two dAs for strategy is the winning number. We need a dL to keep dAs doing their jobs, and to make the strat division be taken seriously[/b]. Without a dL, we are inherently considered a lesser division. We cannot make channels for events, and dAs have to go to uM if we have questions.

The strat division is growing rapidly, as shown by the consistently full Starcraft 2 channel, and there is a need for a division leader. If upper management really wants the strategy division to become a strong division, it needs proper leadership just like every other division of HG

I believe that uM has seen a huge grow in a short amount of time, is this is just a taste if what is to come, if the uM think its a good idea for a DL they will make one, let's just keep doing what we are doing(recruiting, events) and we go from there

As for me im at work 7-4 after that I am normally around the house cleaning gettin dinner ready and always checking the forums. If I see a app in I could do it, I have told the strat guys too kept spreading the word out there and I will keep doing the apps for them.

Let the uMs do there job we do ours

Id say 24/7 coverage has little to do with being respected enough to be granted the same chain of command.

It's odd to me that you are so against setting us up for success.

I want you to understand, to see, to know...

Respect doesn't get you power, it gets you a leeway maybe, but not power... I have respect for higher command, and for lower ranks... But the kind of respect you're asking isn't respect... As I wouldn't promote my Tech Sgt, because she/he did something awesome, and make me respect them more... I would hold them somewhat higher, and expect it from them better quality maybe.

However it comes to this, sure some of the strategy members we respect, but with promotion comes time... Though as I stated that "respect gets you leeway maybe" it also gets you in the front line, instead of in the back.

But right now, wait...

I think pilpest your miss understanding zekk, our division is a little different where we have too keep up on it, recruiting/members/thought full events, if we don't do this I can see people leaving the fact it will be boring,

How do we fix this? Well one always recruiting don't stop! We keep bringing in nee talent/ players everyone's interest will still be be there, no one wants to be . playing vs or with the same ppl over and and over.

What else? Well my thoughts are clan battles,there isnothing more satisfying as to win as a grp in a clan battle it feels that you have done your part for great success.

Recruiting takes alot if time and effort, I dont think you really understand the amount of work I do in a night to get 2 3 pplz to join or even deal with a large amount of trolls over battle net

but to be successful its something to be done

so yeah it be nice to have a few others wanting to help as well

I want you to understand, to see, to know...

Respect doesn't get you power, it gets you a leeway maybe, but not power... I have respect for higher command, and for lower ranks... But the kind of respect you're asking isn't respect... As I wouldn't promote my Tech Sgt, because she/he did something awesome, and make me respect them more... I would hold them somewhat higher, and expect it from them better quality maybe.

However it comes to this, sure some of the strategy members we respect, but with promotion comes time... Though as I stated that "respect gets you leeway maybe" it also gets you in the front line, instead of in the back.

But right now, wait...

I have been in HG longer than most people.

I have seen members come and go.

I have seen management/staff come and go.

Waiting is something, I am very good at.

However to tell me to wait, just shows how much we as a division have been ignored.

For example when I moved to strat we had a very active community of people playing LOL, there was always a game or two starting. I attribute this to LOL's raise in popularity. And what did we do with those people? Did management try to start a serious team or really cater to them in any way shape or form?

We had one tournament, that was set up to fail from the begining because of format. add to that the fact that the "prize" that the people thought they were playing for never materialized. I get the reasons why, but im a vet, and understand that HG needs to be cautious with how it gives things away. However It made people angry.

And then that tournament was thrown back into the face of the players as why we never were given events.

It's no wonder that our LOL community fractured and many moved on to other clans and or divisions.

I waited quietly while many of our players left and went on to other clans, or gasp, no clans at all.

You see the idea that we have it easy in strat because we dont have servers to controll is flawed. People dont feel the need to belong to a clan as strongly in games like LOL or Age of Empires, or Total War or Mount n Blade or Dota2...

If we dont provide, oprotunites, and challenges, people move on or leave. Friendship is not enough.

I agree we can irk out an existance with just BigJ and Envision. But what we need to do is grow without putting such a heavy strain on them. if you hook a one ton rock to one donkey and say go, just how long can one donky pull it on its own, how far can two go?

Brand new divisions get more consideration than Strat does. That is not only concerning, but disheartening for us who have been waiting.

Waiting quietly has never helped us before, I do not really see how it will help us now.

If we had waited quietly, we would not even have BigJ, and we would be in worse shape now then we currently are.

Edited by Zekk
  • Like 4

Well said,

Fact 1 im just doing sc2 NA and look what I got, now what happens when I go over to EU? And start doing what I do there?

And dont forget it I'm still going to be going to League of Legends what do you think will happen than?

Fact 2 I will grow this division and we will be just as as much ad any other

question's?

• Like 1

We really need more leadership for a few reasons. Right now, BigJ and I focus our efforts mainly on Starcraft II because we already had more people playing SC2 than League. How awesome would it be, then if we had another advisor to focus their efforts on growing the League side of things, and a Division Leader (that every other division has) to oversee the advisors and help in both games? Our Strategy division could grow at twice the rate it is right now, and be more well rounded. I have said it before and I'll say it again, we NEED a DL and two dAs.

As Zekk pointed out, if we had waited quietly like you suggest now and I had not scheduled the Strategy Meeting a month ago (something that you suggested I do) we never would have gotten BigJ as an advisor, and never would have gotten the new recruits and clan battles that he has put so much time into setting up. We need to be vocal about what we need as a division to grow, or uM will not take notice.

Finally, I leave for college September 21st. I will likely be stepping down from my position as advisor, if not leaving the clan entirely, because I will not be active during the school year. When that happens, the strategy division will be down to one member of leadership. And while I am sure that BigJ will do a better job than I did in that position, we can't expect him to single-handedly lead the Strategy division without support.

• Like 3

I have been in HG longer than most people.

I have seen members come and go.

I have seen management/staff come and go.

Waiting is something, I am very good at.

However to tell me to wait, just shows how much we as a division have been ignored.

For example when I moved to strat we had a very active community of people playing LOL, there was always a game or two starting. I attribute this to LOL's raise in popularity. And what did we do with those people? Did management try to start a serious team or really cater to them in any way shape or form?

We had one tournament, that was set up to fail from the begining because of format. add to that the fact that the "prize" that the people thought they were playing for never materialized. I get the reasons why, but im a vet, and understand that HG needs to be cautious with how it gives things away. However It made people angry.

And then that tournament was thrown back into the face of the players as why we never were given events.

It's no wonder that our LOL community fractured and many moved on to other clans and or divisions.

I waited quietly while many of our players left and went on to other clans, or gasp, no clans at all.

You see the idea that we have it easy in strat because we dont have servers to controll is flawed. People dont feel the need to belong to a clan as strongly in games like LOL or Age of Empires, or Total War or Mount n Blade or Dota2...

If we dont provide, oprotunites, and challenges, people move on or leave. Friendship is not enough.

I agree we can irk out an existance with just BigJ and Envision. But what we need to do is grow without putting such a heavy strain on them. if you hook a one ton rock to one donkey and say go, just how long can one donky pull it on its own, how far can two go?

Brand new divisions get more consideration than Strat does. That is not only concerning, but disheartening for us who have been waiting.

Waiting quietly has never helped us before, I do not really see how it will help us now.

If we had waited quietly, we would not even have BigJ, and we would be in worse shape now then we currently are.

This is why I love Zekk :P

Edited by Runda20