Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Need Some Advice On A Graphics Card

JalJad

So i have recently upgraded most of my computer, the only part i didn't change out was my graphics card. I have now decided to upgrade that too.

I currently have a nVidia geforce GT 440 1.5GB, and would like to get top-end graphics power. Tempted to go for a GeForce GTX Titan, but does anyone know of any altrnatives that are almost as good or better for a smaller price? E.g. running two specific graphic cards in Crossfire/SLI and yes my motherboard is compatible with both. My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77X-UP7, if that helps.

Any help or advice would be awesome! :D:D

Edited by JalJad

Servers don't typically have dedicated video cards...

and even if they do... they don't run enthusiast grade cards like the Titan. Titans are still at the consumer/enthusiast level not the server grade level. Although you can put a Titan into a server box (no point seeing as you might as well start going to Quadro or FirePro)

The Titan still has one SMX unit disabled compared to the K6000, which has none of its SMX units diabled.

Back on topic, the GTX770 or GTX760 if you're into nVidia are the good upgrade points. If you can get the GTX780 overclocked (factory level), you can match a lot of the Titan's performance (Gaming-wise)

Edited by enigma#
  • Like 2

780 all the way, in my opinion. If you were considering getting a Titan--this has already been said, but I'll say it again--a 780 is nearly as good for a much lower cost.

A good YouTube channel to check out that does reviews, comparisons, and benchmarks is "LinusTechTips".

A specifically good one if you're going to go for a 780 is this one:

So basically what you're saying is it's old therefor it's bad.

In a way yes. Old hardware tends to decrease in performance regardless of specs especially in the case of GPUs. Drivers always favor the newer cards.

The 590 is not even sold by any reputable sellers anymore for this reason. I found one new on amazon for about 100$ more then the 780.

Not to mention he doesn't even need that much power.

770 will be perfect....

Actually I take that back. The 590 is old and bad. Uses a shit ton of power and is not necessary. No one on a budget needs a dual GPU card...especially one from almost 3 years ago....

• Like 1

In a way yes. Old hardware tends to decrease in performance regardless of specs especially in the case of GPUs. Drivers always favor the newer cards.

The 590 is not even sold by any reputable sellers anymore for this reason. I found one new on amazon for about 100$ more then the 780.

Not to mention he doesn't even need that much power.

770 will be perfect....

Actually I take that back. The 590 is old and bad. Uses a shit ton of power and is not necessary. No one on a budget needs a dual GPU card...especially one from almost 3 years ago....

All of this. the 770 is basically the power of a 590 on a single gpu, less heat, driver support etc.

Yeah, He is better off getting a 770. As said as above it would be a ton of less heat and less power to run it, and the 770 would match just about any dual card setup. Unless you want to send a ton of cash.

If he really wanted to dual card i would say Grab 2 660's. The 770 i believe would still perform better than 2 660's though. But as i said above, im not big on dual card setups. I've always had more problems with them than they are worth.

Could always look at radeon cards. But im a geforce fanboy. :P

Edited by Bennyy