Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

What Camera Would You Pick?

Mr Swede # Johan

Hey, I've been in this class(I'm 17 and it's on my school) the whole autumn and I've gotten really into it, if anyone here is experienced with camera's, please tell me what you use and if you got any tips for me.

I was thinking of getting a camera with the money around 500euro, something around Nikon D5200 but then comes the camera lens and that is something I have no clue on. All i know is about the zooming, like a 18-200 can zoom alot and a 18-55 ain't that impressive and that a 15-75 is a wide-angle view.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The D5200 is virtually the same as the D5100, except with 30 points of autofocus. [basically no difference at all.]

You might also check out the D5300 while you're at it, although that's more expensive.

This guy does camera reviews, tips, techniques, and comparisons.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalRevCom/videos

Edited by Arcaninesy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I just saw this thread today and I hope I can be of help

The main thing you want to know about lenses is the f-stop number, denoted as any of the following formats:

f/2.8

f2.8

in a conversation, you'd say it like any of the following:

"f-stop 2.8"

"f 2.8"

"aperature of 2.8"

If need be I can explain f-stop to ya, but there are great articles on it already online. With that said I'm always available to answer questions about anything.

You should check out this guys site: http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

Those super zooms are nice for travel and things, but if you're looking for image quality I would steer clear of those.

Typically if you really wanna hone in your photography skills, get a DSLR with a nifty fifty (50mm lens with an f-stop of at the max f/1.8) or 100mm or 200m f2.8 at the minimum so you can work on framing.

Zoom lenses, while versatile, allow photography to become a spectator sport, a fixed lens requires you to move and groove with the environment.

Also your gear is all about the lens, the body of an SLR frequently becomes outdated and is easily replacable. My father still uses lenses that are 20 years old and many still do the same. Lenses can easily last a decade if taken care of properly so this is where you want to focus your spending.

Id rather have a real expensive lens on a crappy body rather than the other way around. Your pictures will consistently expose with good glass and your photos will overall look better.

Always invest in good glass before splurging on an expensive body.

About lenses, as you will notice as your get familiar with the jargon and what all the number mean, is the lower the f number, the better the lens. Also, the more expensive the lens will generally be.

This guy does camera reviews, tips, techniques, and comparisons. http://www.youtube.c...alRevCom/videos

without a doubt my favorite reviewers of all time. Their videos are high quality, practical, and perfectly comedic.

Cameras I've used and have sufficient experience and familiarity with:

bodies:

Canon AE-1

Minolta X-700 with motordrive (my favorite)

Nikon N75

Nikon D80

lenses:

Canon 50mm f/1.4

Minolta 50mm f/1.4

Minolta 500mm f/2.8

Tokina 70-200 f/?

Minolta 100mm f/2 (a great portrait lens - think family photo on the beach)

Nikon 50mm f/1.8

Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6g af nikkor lens

Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6g af ED

Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S nikkor ED VR

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Camera pro's!! :D

I've been taking hunting license for a couple of months now, and when I get approved (as i hope), I'm going to capture/record the hunting trips, so If you should know a HD/Good detalied whatever camera/Gopro or what it's called ( The ones you can place on your head or around the neck) I would be so glad to hear from you! (I expect to buy some that doesn't cost a whole bank account, but more like from $250+ or $500 =)

Thanks

• 5 months later...