Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Trying To Install Ssd

BooT

Okay, so far this has been a train wreck of an idea. Getting an SSD so I can load into shit faster and have a better computer.

It's all plugged in, I just don't really know what to do from there.

I know I need to change the Boot Drive to be on the SSD and I need my OS to get onto the SSD but I really have no idea how to do that.

There is supposed to be a way to transfer your OS to the SSD without having to buy a shitty 80 dollar copy of Windows 7.

Anybody an expert at this or know how to do it?

I need help. D:

Is it an intel ssd?

What brand?

Some have software that will basically re write everything on your current drive to your ssd. There are some other ones that are free to download, but I never had luck with them. Best option is to back up important files and reinstall. (Unless ssd is an intel or other manufacturer with good program)

If this is a custom pc or you have your windows product key handy, then you can simply re install the OS onto the new drive and reformat the old hdd into storage. Then call microsoft and tell them that you had a hardware failure and your old product key wont work. They will have you enter a code on the pc and then it will work without having to buy a new key.

Also, I know a few people who have done this http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

and claim it works, but I am more of a fan of starting fresh with new hdd/ssd's simply because if you are installing it to make the pc faster, then a fresh install win insure that whatever was fucking the pc up doesn't do it again (say maleware or registry errors).

It's not really a custom built computer by nature, but I have practically replaced 75% of the parts in the inside of the computer. It's still based off of HP, Quad Core Processor and a base PCI-E Mobo.

Anyways, it's a Kingston,120GB SSD.

First, I am gonna back up everything onto an SSD like Lifehacker said to do.

The only problem is, the SSD doesn't show up on My Computer?

62ifHVY.png

Guest The_Monkey

It's not really a custom built computer by nature, but I have practically replaced 75% of the parts in the inside of the computer. It's still based off of HP, Quad Core Processor and a base PCI-E Mobo.

Anyways, it's a Kingston,120GB SSD.

First, I am gonna back up everything onto an SSD like Lifehacker said to do.

The only problem is, the SSD doesn't show up on My Computer?

62ifHVY.png

Probably because you haven't initialized the disk. You need to go to computer management->disk management. However, I advise against this. Seeing as how you are not going to be able to copy all of your data off of your main drive, since it is smaller, you need to install a fresh copy of windows on the ssd.

So, you are going to have to nut up and get a copy of windows to install, or try using the recovery disc that may or may not have come with your computer.

• Like 2

Probably because you haven't initialized the disk. You need to go to computer management->disk management. However, I advise against this. Seeing as how you are not going to be able to copy all of your data off of your main drive, since it is smaller, you need to install a fresh copy of windows on the ssd.

So, you are going to have to nut up and get a copy of windows to install, or try using the recovery disc that may or may not have come with your computer.

This is bad news. ):

I plan on erasing half of my disk to transfer anyways. Would that make a difference?

I was going to transfer most to my external hard drive so that only bits and pieces are left.

Guest The_Monkey

This is bad news. ):

I plan on erasing half of my disk to transfer anyways. Would that make a difference?

I was going to transfer most to my external hard drive so that only bits and pieces are left.

Transferring to an ssd is never suggested. It is always good to start with a fresh install in order to take advantage of the speed. Especially since you are moving to a tiny ssd.

• Like 1

Transferring to an ssd is never suggested. It is always good to start with a fresh install in order to take advantage of the speed. Especially since you are moving to a tiny ssd.

Okay, sounds good boss man, Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

OKAY, back to this.

I recently got the copy of Windows 7. I installed it on the SSD, from there I don't really know what to do.

I mean Boot Device Priority is set to SSD then HDD, but I don't think I did everything right. 8(

How do I know if it's working?

OKAY, back to this.

I recently got the copy of Windows 7. I installed it on the SSD, from there I don't really know what to do.

I mean Boot Device Priority is set to SSD then HDD, but I don't think I did everything right. 8(

It will boot into windows like normal but faster. Go to my computer c drive to see if its the right drive

OKAY, back to this.

Keep in mind SSD's need to be maintained. Because of the way the SSD's write the data to the blocks you only have a certain number of reads and writes. Store all moving ( i call it floating data ) on an disk drive and keep all programs on the SSD. And also you will notice if the SSD is booting because it will happen after post in about ooooooh 5-10 seconds.

Keep in mind SSD's need to be maintained. Because of the way the SSD's write the data to the blocks you only have a certain number of reads and writes. Store all moving ( i call it floating data ) on an disk drive and keep all programs on the SSD. And also you will notice if the SSD is booting because it will happen after post in about ooooooh 5-10 seconds.

Can you do some research before you post on threads like this? SSDs will usually last for years with normal use, everything dies or encounters problems at one point.

Edited by Quadcore
  • Like 1

Can you do some research before you post on threads like this?

Would you mind explaining what you think is wrong?

Solid state drives have no sectors, there for the SSD is just a giant memory block. When you write data onto a SSD it writes it all to the one block. This is what causes degradation over the life span of the SSD which is partially contributed to moving data on or off the SSD drive. There are programs that help stave off the inevitable degradation but inevitably the SSD will fail over time. Can you do your research before posting on threads like this?

Edited by A L P H A

Would you mind explaining what you think is wrong?

Solid state drives have no sectors, there for the SSD is just a giant memory block. When you write data onto a SSD it writes it all to the one block. This is what causes degradation over the life span of the SSD which is partially contributed to moving data on or off the SSD drive. There are programs that help stave off the inevitable degradation but inevitably the SSD will fail over time. Can you do your research before posting on threads like this?

Yes it will, but it would be at such a low rate you would barely notice a slow down. If you write 50GB (or more) of data a day your ssd would still last ~8 years, which make them great for boot drives and for putting frequently used programs on.

Edited by Quadcore

Yes it will, but it would be at such a low rate you would barely notice a slow down. If you write 50GB (or more) of data a day your ssd would still last ~8 years, which make them great for boot drives and for putting frequently used programs on.

If you wrote 50gb of data onto a ssd everyday that shit would be almost dead in less then 2 years. source: my life.

http://www.anandtech...models-tested/3

The lowest end one would be around ~4 years @ 100...

And on that note my life just got corrected. fair enough. I see that review was written in july of last year too. I didnt know they fixed that shit so well. Fair enough. Should still regularly run maintenance on your SSD though.

It will boot into windows like normal but faster. Go to my computer c drive to see if its the right drive

SO should I change it's letter to the C: drive? case right now it's my F: drive, D: is a recovery and C: is the HDD.

I feel like I fucked up somewhere.

tOJHnRV.png

OKAY UPDATE:

I have no internet when I boot up from the SSD, how can I change this?

Edited by BooT

SO should I change it's letter to the C: drive? case right now it's my F: drive, D: is a recovery and C: is the HDD.

I feel like I fucked up somewhere.

OKAY UPDATE:

I have no internet when I boot up from the SSD, how can I change this?

unplug SSD and let it boot from main drive. follow directions i sent to you in mail and then replug the SSD in once you are ready to fresh install on the SSD a 64bit. Remember, fresh installs means driver installation. Its a pain in the ass.

• Like 1