Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

University Or Jr. College

Rudabaga

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm curious to hear everyone's opinion on this. Is it better to go straight to a university or start off at a junior college? Personally for me I believe it's better to start at a junior college. The high school I currently go to now isn't the best for academics and I don't feel prepared for a university. Plus the cost of a junior college is a lot cheaper than going straight to a university. I would get accepted to the university that I plan on going to right now if I wanted to but I've decided not to. I feel like going to a junior college is like taking baby steps into college. I think it'll be 10x better for me to go to a junior college price wise and to better prepare myself.

If you don't got the dosh to piss away for mistakes and fuck ups (which most freshmen in college do make) then definitely jr college. When I graduated high school I said "I have no idea what the fuck I am going to do with my life" so I opted for Jr. college to get the basic classes out and save a shit load of money. I started leaning towards computer science and trade school but half way through my degree I changed minds and am now at a university pursuing a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology.

Essentially my point is unless you're 100% certain of what field you want to study get your basics out of the way. I have a friend that went straight to Binghamton University, pissed away atleast 30 grand and changed majors and went to New Paltz. I think most people at the age of 18 aren't prepared for college life or the indications of what college actually is and either take on way too much work their first year and flunk, or party too hard and don't get their money's worth.

Do you know where you would like to have a career in your future? I still haven't figured that out and is part of the reason I attend a community college. Less tuition, can still live at home (both good and bad, is being rent-free better than living with your parents?), campus relatively close to home, still work throughout the school-year.

I did well in high-school but never applied for scholarships or any big Uni's. Atleast my financial aid covers all my tuition.

Do you know where you would like to have a career in your future? I still haven't figured that out and is part of the reason I attend a community college. Less tuition, can still live at home (both good and bad, is being rent-free better than living with your parents?), campus relatively close to home, still work throughout the school-year.

I did well in high-school but never applied for scholarships or any big Uni's. Atleast my financial aid covers all my tuition.

I want to major in Criminal Justice. There are quite a few things I'm thinking about trying to become, like a detective, state trooper, FBI agent, DEA agent, or a sheriff.

Guest The_Monkey

I work at a State College (a fancy way of saying junior college). I would opt for junior college simply because there is no point in spending an extraordinary amount of cash on a university A.A. degree (first 2 years). The only reason to to to a university from the get go is be in that super collegiate atmosphere. That being said, you will probably learn more at the junior college due to smaller class sizes, and the availability of the teachers to the students.

If you do go to a university (or a 4 year school for that matter), be sure to apply for your A.A. degree at your two year mark. Most students don't. But god forbid something happen to you while you are in your 3rd or 4th year, and you can't complete your degree, you still have your A.A., and this could save you from possibly having to repeat some core classes.

• Like 1