Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Steampipe And Cubemaps

Tomomo

I had recently noticed some of my new maps have not been properly producing reflections on compile. From what I have learnt this is due to steampipe changes screwing everything up.

So for anyone compiling a map not getting reflections here is how I got it to work.

1- Compile your map (hammer or VBCT etc)

2- Run game and in console type "buildcubemaps" Do this for HDR and non HDR (can be turned off via advanced video settings in options or via console commands)

3- Reload the game or change maps and change back. If there is still no reflections then you have the same cubemap problem I had

4- Open the .BSP file through either pakrat or VIDE

5- Delete all the texture files except defaultcubemap and defaultcubemap hdr. (DO NOT DELETE MATERIALS)

6- Add any custom files at this point if you have any otherwise ignore then SAVE .BSP

7- Open the map in game and "buildcubemaps" again (Dont forgot to run them for both HDR and non HDR)

8- At this point you may see pink and black checkers or pink reflections so you need to either reload your game or change maps then change back. (Or reload materials via console command)

9- After this your reflections should work (Can test by giving yourself an awp to see if cubemaps are working in the scope)

This worked for me.

Few other points regarding cubemaps:

-If your seeing all your props and lights a really bright white and glowy you havent built cubemaps

-If your reflections have big seams or are popping on the edge of a brush you have too may have too many cubemaps in one area

-Dont forget to put them roughly at human eye height

If anyone has anything to add or questions message me

• Like 2

http://facepunch.com...d.php?t=1293081

Edit: nevermind it's similar

but maybe this would be of some use

With the release of this (http://facepunch.com...d.php?t=1308695), you can also replace your VBSP with his version and add a -nocubemap flag to the compiler, so the map doesn't build it's own default cubemaps.
Edited by Slime