Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Looking For A Swimmer/runner

DarkMonotone

Since I will be in my last year of high school, I want to finally do a sport that I haven't done since elementary. I was thinking about trying swimming or running, but I am a little bit overweight (190 lbs, 5'11). However, I have until around June to lose the weight to try out for one of the teams. So, my question is how much weight should I try to lose by that time? Also, should I be working towards a specific workout style to get into one of those two sports?

Be careful with your alimentation and practice the two sports.Because they are both good for the other.You can swim a day and run the other.Or you can do like me and swim during the day and run during evening.

Note:In my mind swiming is more important,the sport is more complete then running.

Dude Lose 15-25 pounds and be sure to turn it into LEAN muscle, don't get bulky. It depends on your body type as well. Are you broad shouldered? Are your legs longer than your torso or vise versa? Where is the bulk of your fat, I'm assuming mid section as with most men

For the next month lift heavy free weights to gain muscle quickly. Then for the last 2 months before June only lift with machines to tone and get slim, only heavy lifting like once a week or less.

I ran track in high school for 2 years. You need almost the same body type for both swimming and track as I had swimming friends.

Edited by captaincracker

I've been a swimmer since age 11 and had to stop pretty recently. I would say 3 or 4 days a week for an hour and a half at least is fine because that will give you a pretty good feel for the water and after about 2 months it should feel a lot less tiring. You don't necessarily have to work towards anything too specific, it's more or less getting started. 2000-3000 meters at the most. Running also helps so you could fill the days you don't go swimming with running. Weights for swimming are tricky, because too much muscle is actually bad, since it sinks.

From my experience, at tryouts they will see how well you swim all the strokes, time you, and compare you to everyone else. Try to work your way to be able to swim a 50 butterfly (2 laps in a yard pool), so you don't just go in there all like I can't swim fly.

*unless you go to a private school that's very good at swimming, I don't think tryouts should be too too complicated