Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Totally New At Guitar... Pointers?

shooterx

So i bought an electric epiphone les paul standard black royale guitar with a line 6, spyder 4, 15watt amp. i bought 2 hal leonard books and i have been following the books... my fingers are slowly getting used to the guitar and im getting the hang of it... chords are still pretty hard because my fingers wont curl enough for me to play them right but some i can play...

So any pointers as to where i should start?

What should i practice first?

What should be my first song?

I also heard that rocksmith helps alot... is it worth getting so that i can learn i mean im totally new so what do u think?

Thanks in advance ;D

So any pointers as to where i should start?

Learn the basic scale of guitar(Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si Do), it also will help you to go fast.

The scale is like this(lol I did this "sketch"):

7iG1t.png

Also, do the "1,2,3 and 4" in each space, in each chords.

Example: 1st finger at the 5th chord, in the 1st space.

What should i practice first?

What should be my first song?

If you are so slow, AND wants to play something, not doing the "1,2, 3 and 4" like I said before, play some basics intro musics, like:

• Come as you are
  • Seven Nation Army
  • Nothing else Matters(this is an very important guitar fingering exercise for beginners)

If you want to play an entire song, after training some intro of Nothing Else Matters, I think you can start with Black Bird(The Beatles). it's was my first too.

I also heard that rocksmith helps alot... is it worth getting so that i can learn i mean im totally new so what do u think?

It's a big help, I think, because I never played on rocksmith, I just saw people playing it, also I'll buy it soon.

Edited by Tio
  • Like 1

that scale is a bit confusing to me lol are the strings like starting on the right as apposed to tabs that start on the left?

and you said the intro to those songs would help me exercise my finger stretching? ill check it out i just got home from work so ill pick up my guitar later lol

well rocksmith wouldn't be to hard to get so i will consider it once i get some more money lol but yea i was watching videos and it looks like it does help alot

Thanks alot for your help anything helps really ;D

Work on your picking style. Getting comfortable holding the pick on upstrokes and downstrokes. Also I would utilize a metronome of sorts and practice playing simple scales. Start slow, and work your way up the tempo so you build your speed and finger dexterity.

• 3 weeks later...