Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

[Final!] [Updated 30/03/14] Zs_Healthcare

STEAM WORKSHOP LINK: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=237158945

Map needs some testing, i know there might bea few lighting bugs around and i'll push out a new version soon enough, but for now, point out the non-aesthetical bugs.

Description copied from the same text i wrote in workshop:

ZS_Healthcare takes place in a post apocalyptic world where the zombies have already wrecked most of what was left of humanity.
Our group of survivors (the players) find the now abandoned St.Carolina Medical Center, where they find out there were other survivors there which have long left the place.
Now they have discovered that on the way they attracted a horde, and the back wall is broken, will they be able to defend what's left of this clinic? Or, save their lives?
This map had a lot of effort put into it and it was centered around having many feasible cading spots while maintaining balance and ways for zombies to make the human's lives harder, but of course, this depends on how much cooperation each team puts on the match.
This map is made for the HellsGamers Zombie Survival server, but you are free to include it on your own server as long as you don't modify anything from it. Any and ALL servers are allowed to use this.
Special thanks to these people, which answered all my questions and helped me out with suggestions and things:
-Tomomo
-EHM
-iPhobia
-TopHattWaffle
Thanks also to the people who delivered opinions and helped this map become better.
--THIS IS A FIRST VERSION, IT MAY CONTAIN BUGS AND IT IS RECOMMENDED TO REPORT THEM IN THE COMMENTS SO I CAN FIX THEM.--
I noticed a few lighting bugs around which are soon to be fixed. Remember, post in the comments!

Edited by Irontaco

Great map, really a great map. The only issue is the missing custom textures that I would love to see. post-20487-0-50246400-1394498829_thumb.jpgpost-20487-0-03219600-1394498866_thumb.jpgpost-20487-0-71287400-1394498876_thumb.jpg This map has a lot of half life 2 and counterstrike source textures so make sure you click the little controller in the bottom right of gmod and check all the games you can, like this post-20487-0-04265700-1394499018_thumb.jpgpost-20487-0-93666200-1394499024_thumb.jpg Or the map could look like this post-20487-0-02052400-1394498044_thumb.jpgpost-20487-0-98176200-1394498053_thumb.jpgpost-20487-0-17503700-1394498062_thumb.jpg

Missing Textures: The map

Way too many textures from games that aren't halflife2/css.

Getting into the vents downstairs that go between rooms would basically be a guaranteed win. Pretty sure you can make a func_push that only pushes humans.

Some rooms in the sewers are premade hallways that are super thin. Overpowered, even with no props. They're too thin for bonemesh to work on them. EDIT: Just noticed the small vent (missing textures makes it hard) still too strong, it's easy to defend holes that small or two op long hallways... EDIT 2: Just noticed it's headcrab only. http://puu.sh/7qQas.jpg = Basically need one deagle to defend it at most, using the most useless props in the room

The vent leading into the sewers is way too strong...you don't want a repeat of uglyfort desert, do you?

Keep in mind on maps with several floors, spawn points that are made above or below humans that are closer in terms of point A-->B distance will be taken over spawn points that are realistically a shorter walk for zombies, aka troll spawns. This makes the basement hallways even more OP.

Free weapons as strong as UMPs make this map broken on servers that don't save points. Yes, even one is enough to make a massive difference if it falls into the hands of a skilled player.

Otherwise I like the feel/design of the map and if it wasn't so strongly human favoured and the missing textures were fixed I'd like to have it.

Edited by Matt Marche

Odd, do you have CSS, EP2 and that stuff mounted, where is the most ammount of missing textures? All textures belong to CSS and HL2:EP 2, Fuzzy Dice had the same missing tex problem and after he mounted all the games to gmod he stopped having these issues.

The 2 room-relatively long hallway area was made in such a way that human players have to cooperate to be able to defend that room, since the ladder vent connects to the other.

I will make the opening of the 2 room connection cade bigger, enough for a man to fit through crouching.

I will probably make another zombie spawn in the underground area, near the crushers.

The UMP was supposed to be "hidden" on the top of the beam on the underground storage area, when it was balanced on the top it was really hard to make it come down to be able to pick it up, i will probably replace it with a bulletstorm since that way it can balance on the tiny brush and it's also a weaker weapon, there are also some other hidden weapons which will probably be removed.

Vent on front of the clinic will probably have it's health tweaked down, i need suggestions for it's HP value, how about 1000-1500? I want it to be easy to be taken down if undefended but hard to take down with only one zombie.

There's a spawn on the back of the clinic that enables at wave 2, i will probably make the sewer spawn enable at wave 2 so that humans get some time to set up if they happen to go set up in the sewers and most of them are inside the sewers.

Probs gonna make the hallway you mentioned bigger. Although, i'm not sure if you are talking about the residue processing plant on the sewers by long hallway, some screenshots would be nice.

Thanks for the feedback! These issues will be revised but i'd like you to provide more screenshots on the troublesome areas.

New map build coming up fixing HDR issues and missing textures issues, hopefully these will stop custom textures from not appearing.

Might be my own issue since I viewed the map on a seperate account, but I don't have texture issues on other maps with it.

If you're prepared to make changes after the first few playthroughs of the map on the server, there should be no issue really.

Vent hp at 1k would take an individual zombie 80+ seconds to break in. That works fine.

Edited by Matt Marche

Alright, i'm making the sewers wider and a bunch of stuff rebalanced.

Three new spawns, one is a boss zombie spawn located to the other side of the broken wall, to compensate for the zombie gas players will still be able to reach the props on the fenced area by going through what used to be a fence.

Another one is a normal zombie spawn located near the crushers in the lowest part of the map, if most humans decide to go cade in the sewers there's a chance this spot may be picked for a spawn.

Redeemer spawn in clinic roof.

If the problem is really that serious, i can make a HUB room with teleporters so zombies can get to various areas of the map.

Changed Reaper UMP to Bulletstorm SMG and made it balance on the metal thing.

Changed detpack hidden in the water to grenade.

Rest of weapons remain unchanged. They're very well hidden and they're relatively weak, these include a Lamp, UZI 9mm, and a Glock. There's also another weapon hidden around but i'm not giving out it's location.

Crossfire sewer cade spot has shorter hallways, the vents remain unchanged.

Bonemesh can actually get in comfy angles now.

Good tickles may be able to get a few hits into the hallway cades.

Severely nerfed metal grills health. they're in the 1000-1400 hp range, varies within spots.

RePAKRatted, hopefully this'll fix custom missing textures.

Changed EP1 texture in sewer to CSS texture.

Gonna add a few more aesthetical touches to the map like bigger lightmaps.

Gonna speed up the speed of the rotors.

More things that i'm not bothered to list.

Will be pushed out tomorrow.

Alright i did a big update of the map which should HOPEFULLY fix the texture issues.

Changelog contains all i said on the post above + some more, there's not so much dependency on EP2 textures and more on stock HL2 now. Deleted buggy weapons and everything that was spamming the console, cubemaps fixed.

HDR tonemaps fixed, decals shouldn't be so shiny anymore, or anything else for that matter, HDR makes the map look a itty bitty darker than normal.

Few nodraw bugs around, shouldn't be too noticeable. Anything more than that it should be fixed.

HOW TO CHECK IF IT UPDATED:

http://puu.sh/7uu4K.jpg

The sewers should look wider, have metal grates as bridges, and the water should look clearer. Sounds should be quieter. Decals of ivy should be around the clinic.

Hope you guys test this out and tell me of any remaining issues. If there are not any issues anymore then the map should be ready in some way for the server.

Map updated one last time. Everything is working properly now, CHANGELOG from last two days:

Update: 13 Mar @ 9:22pm

- Fixed a lot of missing textures, every HL2:EP2 texture and model along with every custom texture is now PAKratted into the map.

- Attempted to remove dependency on HL2:EP2, there might not be so much problems now.

- Hopefully texture problems are gone, let me know if they are still there.

- Cubemaps fixed except on one surface.

- HDR errors are fixed, now properly env_tonemapped.

- Deleted buggy weapons, there is now only a few weapons about the map.

- Fixed buggy props.

- Fixed overradius of sounds.

- Added sounds.

- Motors in the map now go faster, be careful!

- Reduced metal grates health to 1000

- Metal grates are able to be destroyed at different waves

- Balanced the sewers, they are now widened and the hallways are wider.

- Fixed ugly water.

- Optimized some more.

Update: 14 Mar @ 9:23pm

- Fixed last of missing textures and models. They are now included in the map itself.

- Fixed HDR lights completely.

- Map looks darker in HDR.

- Decals now don't have that shiny effect.

- Cubemaps working properly.

- Optimized as best as i could. Map runs at 35-40 fps most of the time on HP Pavilion g4 laptop with low ghz cpu and integrated GPU, 80 all time in Intel Dual Core 2.8 GHz Wolfdale E7500 with low end NVIDIA GT240.

- Fixed all sounds.

- Rotors are risky to be around now but you can get a secret weapon near one of them.

- Added more decals so the map doesn't look repetitive.

- Added more props to use.

- Fixed misaligned textures.

- Only dependency is CSS, if you don't have that or at least an addon that includes the materials and models you're gonna have trouble. If i PAKed everything from CSS into here map would boost to 80 MB or more.

- Fixed budget usage, map doesn't have to calculate as many dynamic lights now so the budget use is very low.

- Map is very lightweight in rendering cost in general.

- Fixed buggy lights and tweaked some.

- Fixed nodraw errors relating to the skybox.

- Removed some destruction props to save on FPS.

- Thanks for Playing!

Great map, think it would be great on servers with high populations like HG.

I think on some parts of the map can be overpowered if caded correctly which can simply be fixed by adding a second entrance or less props. There seems to be a great amount of props on the map which make it heavily human powered.

Other than that i found the map interesting and fun and cant wait to see it on the server

Alright, after doing a small 9 player run of the server i discovered a few things:

Way too high of a propcount, i will reduce total props in every room, mostly in the sewers and in rooms where cading may be easier.

Gonna redo entrances of some rooms, possibly. Crossfire cade can be possibly be wrecked by bonemesh.

Buggy zombie spawns, the game, as matt said, prefers to take the "shortest" way to humans regardless of height, so what im going to do is to create a HUB teleporter room where zombies will spawn.

This room will have teleporters to different sections of the map which will unlocked via an "achievement" system, so that zombie effort is rewarded.

Example, when the game starts the only teleporter available will be for the front of the clinic, as wave 2 starts, the teleporter to the back of the clinic will enable, allowing zombies to take another direction to murder humans. The sewer-directed teleporters will still be locked.

If zombies manage to break one of the sewer vents, a new teleporter will be enabled and a message will display onscreen to both teams telling this event has ocurred. After which zombies will be able to take the teleporters into the start of the sewer vents.

If zombies manage to break the grate to the side of the clinic, the same will happen and zombies will be able to spawn right next to the hole they created so they can storm into the sewers.

If both the grate and the vents are overrun, the last teleporter will enable, allowing zombies to take the teleporter straight into the residue processing plant.

I may make some other teleporters to other different areas depending on current wave/something has been destroyed/other parameters. What do you think?

Edited by Irontaco

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, this map is probably, PROBABLY, done.

Here's the changelog, map's on the workshop and ready to go. Biggest change are the fixed spawns.

Big update! After long times of procrastination this map is very probably complete and ready to play in big servers.

NEW ADDITIONS:

- Teleporter room for zombies! Zombies will now spawn in a teleporter room with these teleporters:

- Front Entrance

- Back Entrance

- Primary Sewer Access

- Secondary Sewer Acess

- Residue Processing area

- Seriously look at those portals. They look awesome.

- Achievement system for zombies! Zombies will only have the Front Entrance teleporter available for them at first, but say if the humans happened to barricade really deep into the map, the zombies will be able to break the two vents in the areas of the map to unlock it's corresponding teleporter so they can get there quick! Every important change in the match's status is given as a message to both teams.

AESTHETICAL CHANGES:

- Fixed nearly every HDR light, a few glitched specular things and i got rid of some nodraw-related errors on the skybox.

- Sound volume in the residue processing area now lowered.

BALANCE CHANGES:

- Severely reduced prop count, while this balances the map it ALSO helps with optimization. Also makes the game easier for zombies and harder for humans, that's the point of ZS, right? (i might lower it more if it's still not enough.)

- Vent health nerfed, a single zombie will probably break it in a minute or more, a group of zombies cooperating will break it in no time. Keep the zombies on watch, humans.

Awesome, here's a little update before it goes into debug which only introduces some aesthetical changes. I will stop updating this map now unless issues or exploits are found.

Update: 6 Apr @ 5:04pm ( edit )

NEW ADDITIONS:

- Aesthetical changes:

- There are now wires going about the clinic, nothing important.

- More decals so things don't look so plain anymore.

- Some hallways now have a tad more style B)

- Basement Storage Room (the dark one with the gray walls) now has better geometry and the metal trusses are actual brushes now instead of textures.

- Neato decals in Residue Processing area big lights.

- Layout Changes:

- Back entrance is now part of a room instead of being part of the main hallway, this saved up some budget relating to visibility and also lets humans have some little advantage in defending the clinic back area.

- Optimization Changes:

- One areaportalwindow placed in the back area, this means that if you get far away from the back area it will fade to black and stop rendering.

- Simplified brushwork.

- Removed several unneeded, never seen areas of the 3d skybox, especially displacement surfaces.