Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Ideas For A Cpu Heatsink

DeRedPanda

Noctua is good for low noise but if you want to save yourself like $20-$30 bucks for similar results either get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or a NZXT Respire. Or if you don't give a fuck about money then get an all in one water cooling kit. I'd recommend a Corsair H100i or an NZXT Kraken, both will run you about $100 and you'll need to make sure your case has room for the radiator and fans.

I wouldn't put any aio unit in any pc and do not recommend them for reliability reasons.

Asteks pump system is flawed and they refuse to say anything is wrong with it. Lucky to get a year out of it.

Get the noctua/true black if you want a lower profile heatsink. The Phanteks/silver arrow/d14/Thermax eclipse 2 are the heatsink kings. The h100i or newer cms will run a few degrees cooler, but reliability wise are stupid. I used to recomend the swiftech h220, but they have an issue with pumps also. (sent two back, both dead pumps)

Also do you even overclock? if no then who cares get a hyper 212 listed above and be happy.

Yeah, I've heard great things about the Hyper 212 EVO. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103099

Planning to get it myself. (also you really don't need liquid cooling unless you're planning to overclock it past 4.0 GHz. The EVO will do just fine.)

Not true i use a cooler similar to this on my cpu and it's clocked at 4.2 with temps being fine. Liquid cooling is for not only just for overclocking but perhaps you want more silent cooling as well.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835181031

I recommend corsair/asetek liquid cooling.

If you can go for liquid cooling (The one doobie linked or another one but I also recommend corsair).

Noctua is good for low noise but if you want to save yourself like $20-$30 bucks for similar results either get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or a NZXT Respire. Or if you don't give a fuck about money then get an all in one water cooling kit. I'd recommend a Corsair H100i or an NZXT Kraken, both will run you about $100 and you'll need to make sure your case has room for the radiator and fans.

Thanks everyone for you recommendation. Liquid cooling looks like something I should look at. I don't want to get too expensive and get a whole liquid cooling kit. Does liquid cooling, other than being quieter, have any other benefits? Does it keep the temperatures down even more than a heatsink?

Yeah, I've heard great things about the Hyper 212 EVO. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103099

Planning to get it myself. (also you really don't need liquid cooling unless you're planning to overclock it past 4.0 GHz. The EVO will do just fine.)

Thanks for you response. That looks like a pretty good heatsink at a relatively low price, I will certainly look at it. :)

I haven't quite decided if I will overclock my processor, as I don't know what I will really need the extra speed for.

Not true i use a cooler similar to this on my cpu and it's clocked at 4.2 with temps being fine. Liquid cooling is for not only just for overclocking but perhaps you want more silent cooling as well.

The aio units are no where near as quiet as the noctuas and phantecs. To get below 50dba you have to run the fans on an h100i at about 800 rpm (assuming stock fans are used).

You actually get a louder machine with aios since the fans the aio units come with are usually loud at 100% and most people wont run them at those speeds. The fans are what your noise is coming from the pump is usually relatively quiet on auto but to get good numbers you need to crank it up, which is loud again.

All this for 4 degree difference between the top air units which as long as it is below 55 degrees for most intel chips...wont make a difference with overclocking.

If you want to water cool go custom and save the headache of a astek unit.

OP ignore that. Your not overclocking I assume you don't need to and you just want to lower the temps/quiet up a bit. Buy the hyper or the one you linked.