Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Lucky

1. Budget

$800 - $1,100

2. Brand preferences

3. What do you plan to do with the machine?

Highest quality gaming

4. Is there a place where you'd like to get the parts from?

5. What parts (if any) do you have already that you don't need upgraded?

Mouse

6. Do you plan to overlock?

Yes

7. Do you have an OS (e.g. Windows) that you can use for this computer?

No

Edited by Lucky

Here you go check this out.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3B7b9

Only hickup is you'll need to provide your own keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Basic Rundown:

CPU: i5-4670k

Haswell i5 CPU and the k version means it's unlocked for overclocking. Also because ivy bridge boards are starting to become more and more unsupported.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO

It's inexpensive and it works. Also, you said we'd be overclocking you'll need a custom cooler. Basically put the backplate on the back of the motherboard, lay down your thermal grease, then screw in the cooler.

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 3

When it comes to motherboards there's several different ways you can go. We're on a limited budget so that limits things a bit. The Z87 chipset is required if we're going to overclock. ASRock generally has a good record and decent support. Also the motherboard is packed with features and has a nice aesthetic.

RAM: GSkill memory has a lifetime warranty. 8 gigs is most you'll need if strictly gaming for awhile. It's inexpensive and the ARES series is the low profile version so that'll help with any clearance issues with the cooler.

Storage: Kingston SSDNow300 Series and 1 TB Caviar Blue Western Digital

SSD is strictly for OS and OFTEN used programs. The other is for the rest of your stuff.

GPU: EVGA 760 Superclocked

There's other brands here we could've gone for but EVGA is great and it comes with a high base clock out of the box. 760 is NVidia and pretty damn good for mostly anything you'll be playing at high quality settings for most games and ultra for some at 1080p.

Case: Corsair 200R

Inexpensive, has great cable routing and airflow.

Case is going to be largely up to you here. You're the one that's going to be stuck looking at this everyday so make sure you like it.

PSU: Corsair CX500 Bronze Plus rated

500 watts will be just fine for any single GPU setup plus overclocking. Corsair is very reputable brand for power and this particular unit has a 3 year warranty. Bronze rating also means it will run efficient, which means less power draw than one that isn't.

Optical Drive: Samsung blahblahblah

It's cheap.

Because I hate 8. Go with 8 if you like 8.

• Like 1