Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Zs_Randomfactory

Excuse me if this isn't the right place to post this or if there is a specific format.

You might've heard about this, or at least the idea, across the past several days or months, but I have created a ZS map called "zs_randomfactory". The map itself is just an average Zombie Survival map with three main cading spots, two zombie spawns and a neat skybox. However, it has one important feature which also explains the name: Randomized events.

Or random events, so to speak.

Something unique happens at the end of every wave. Not like zs_vector or zs_infected_square's scripted events, but a single event selected from a pool of relays in a logic_case entity unique for every wave. For example, on one round of ZS a helicopter flies over the map during the Wave 1 intermission. In another, a radio transmission in a control room plays instead. Or nothing may happen at all. The events get more and more intense and game-altering as the round goes on, until it comes down to entire buildings being rendered useless by dramatic disasters right after Wave 5. Or they won't be touched at all.

Some of the random events can get dramatic and extreme, but none of them go as far as including actual NPCs or anything. You can find a list of random events here, but I advise against viewing it if you are not here to add the map to rotation, as the events are best left with players not knowing what to expect. If you have a problem with any of them, post it here or reply to the linked discussion.

At the beginning of each round, even some "static" map elements are slightly changed by RNG. For example, a ladder to the roof of a tall warehouse might appear in some games while it disappears in others. Or a fence blocking an area that would otherwise have to be reached by traversing the entire map is removed. They are re-randomized every round by ZS replays or admin cleanup in Sandbox.

You can find a list of these varied elements here. They are not as important as the random events, but they're still best left as subliminal gamechangers.

I've optimized this to the best of my ability, placing areaportals and hint leafs where they need to be and closing areaportals behind closed doors. This is my first major optimization effort, and I haven't consulted any other mappers on it, but I didn't notice any significant lag in the final version before release. Of course, that might be much different with 50 humans with grims shooting at 30 chem zombies, but I doubt there will be much of a problem in this sector.

Some of the cading spots are overpowered at first glance, but they are ironed out by some random events over the course of several waves.

The map can be found on here on the Steam Workshop. There are pictures there.

This is my first map for Zombie Survival, so please feel free to leave tips or feedback.

Edited by Blixibon
  • Like 1

Yes indeed you posted this in the right place :) After hearing about this in-game and looking deeper into it now, I look forward to having a map like this on rotation (the pictures are awesome)! What I suggest is you make sure to test real good so that there aren't any issues if this gets approved. I'm looking forward to playing this kind of "dynamic" map :)

• Like 2

The map looks really cool, I'll check it out later.

Just a tip: If you're gonna use vainilla hl2 try to use hdr, it makes your maps have more natural lighting and good looking skyboxes.

Apart from that good work!

I already use HDR in my maps, but thanks anyway!

Edited by Blixibon

I'm new to this process, so how exactly does a map get approved? Is it just patience at this point? Do I get notified if and/or when it gets on rotation?

You don't have to worry about much more at this point. When ATB updates rotation, he will most likely put your map on the list.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new update which fixes the issue with some unnailable props.

(by removing the "failcade" thing almost entirely)

You can see what else has changed here, but the situation with unnailable props was mostly in what seems to be one of the most popular cading spots, so this is a fix for a big oversight that I believe should be updated to the HG ZS server(s) ASAP.

Thanks to Aeris for helping me fix this.

You can see what else has changed here, but the situation with unnailable props was mostly in what seems to be one of the most popular cading spots, so this is a fix for a big oversight that I believe should be updated to the HG ZS server(s) ASAP.

I'll do what I can to get it updated as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Disregarding my previous post, do you update the version # of the map every time you update it? Like if this is your first change did you change it to zs_randomfactory_v2? It would be best to version it so that the new version is downloaded for all users playing the map who have already downloaded "zs_randomfactory" not to cause conflicts.

I've also made a thread to request map updates here but I'll take care of it for yours for this time. Just let me know about what I asked.

Disregarding my previous post, do you update the version # of the map every time you update it? Like if this is your first change did you change it to zs_randomfactory_v2? It would be best to version it so that the new version is downloaded for all users playing the map who have already downloaded "zs_randomfactory" not to cause conflicts.

I've also made a thread to request map updates here but I'll take care of it for yours for this time. Just let me know about what I asked.

I updated the workshop page with no changes to the map name. You're welcome to rename it yourself, if you can, but there aren't many good reasons to keep the first version of zs_randomfactory.

Do I need to send you a version of the addon with "v2" in the title?

Edited by Blixibon

I updated the workshop page with no changes to the map name. You're welcome to rename it yourself, if you can, but there aren't many good reasons to keep the first version of zs_randomfactory.

Do I need to send you a version of the addon with "v2" in the title?

The map has to be recompiled with the new map name, ex: zs_randomfactory_v2 or else when people try to play the updated version titled zs_randomfactory it'll give a missing map error. If you could just do that and link me it I'll make a request on the thread I mentioned :)

I think I've figured out how Gmod automatically downloads addons. It's duck magic, right?

Here's a version of the .bsp with "v2" in the title:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Let me know if you need the whole addon folder or .gma instead.

It's been recompiled with the new name, zs_randomfactory_v2, but it should be the exact same as the updated workshop version which still has the same name.

I'll post any future updates on the thread you mentioned. They will be zs_randomfactory_v3, zs_randomfactory_v4, and so on. They will also be pushed to the workshop version, which will stay as "zs_randomfactory".

Am I doing this right?

Edited by Blixibon
  • Like 1

I think I've figured out how Gmod automatically downloads addons. It's duck magic, right?

Here's a version of the .bsp with "v2" in the title:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Let me know if you need the whole addon folder or .gma instead.

It's been recompiled with the new name, zs_randomfactory_v2, but it should be the exact same as the updated workshop version which still has the same name.

I'll post any future updates on the thread you mentioned. They will be zs_randomfactory_v3, zs_randomfactory_v4, and so on. They will also be pushed to the workshop version, which will stay as "zs_randomfactory".

Am I doing this right?

Thank you that is good :D I'll take care of this version update on my thread for you for this first time and it looks like you're doing it perfect :) I appreciate the timely replies! The .bsp is fine and feel free to update your thread as you wish :)

• Like 1