Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Thoughts?

Was looking into building a better PC than the 800$ AMD rig I have currently. Budget atm is 1500$, but could change as I am currently needing a new keyboard/mouse.

CPU: Intel i7 7700k

Cooler: Thermalright Macho Rev B

Mobo: MSI Z270 A Asus Prime Z270A

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

Storage: Samsung 250GB SSD & 2TB Seagate FireCuda Hybrid Drive 1TB Blue HDD

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC

Case: NZXT Phantom 530 white

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W

Full list here(updated): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/McWXr7

Seeing if there were any places I was spending unnecessary money, as I was planning to buy a keyboard and mouse too (though will probably have extra money on top of the 1500$ for those)

If you're not planning on doing anything other than 1080p a 1070 will suffice for that and get hella high FPS, I like the Processor and Mobo. Maybe if you salvage a HDD from your old PC put the money into another SSD or m.2 SSD

if you can find a 1070 you could go that route but also 1070 has been affected by the mining bit so prices maybe higher than normal but also consider ryzen to save an extra 100 or so dollars

If you're not planning on doing anything other than 1080p a 1070 will suffice for that and get hella high FPS, I like the Processor and Mobo. Maybe if you salvage a HDD from your old PC put the money into another SSD or m.2 SSD

Even at 1080p I was planning on using this rig for a longgg time, the 1080 was futureproof as games become more and more demanding, upgrade now rather than later since I have the money. (And am looking into some QHD/UHD/4K monitors in the future)

Also more efficient, will run games with less strain and power drain.

Will probably salvage the 1TB HDD from my rig though, as im doing with my SSD

if you can find a 1070 you could go that route but also 1070 has been affected by the mining bit so prices maybe higher than normal but also consider ryzen to save an extra 100 or so dollars

Ryzen was something I definetly had looked into, but I was making this rig for mainly gaming, and while ryzens given Intel a run for their money in overall use (not just games), the 7700k is still a dominator.

can you salvage the hardrives from your old rig? I'd get a 650 watt powersupply just to be on the safe side

what monitor are you planning to use? What games? anything past 1080p?

Was thinking about saving money and getting a 600/650 lower ranked psu, though the EVGA NEX is not much more than the current one I have picked

Yeah the 1080 is perfectly fine for you then, you can also get higher resolution monitors like 1440/2k easily and even 4k whenever you want without really having to worry.

Mining has slowed down, I saw 1070s at regular price at microcenter a couple days ago.

Ive also looked at sleeved cable extensions and LED strips, mainly from CableMod, since their full kits are like 40-60 bucks at the microcenter by me. Any suggestions for other companies that do cables?

I really wouldn't change much from your list other than maybe the PSU, something that has like maybe another 100 watts would be more comfortable. You should also make sure that heatsink you picked will be good enough to keep the 7700k cool, kaby lake seems to have a heating issue so bad that even Intel themselves have told customers not to overclock, at all big or small oc, a cpu that is unlocked for overclocking, if that makes any sense. The heating spikes still seem to occur when running stock as well so just keep an eye on that.

I really wouldn't change much from your list other than maybe the PSU, something that has like maybe another 100 watts would be more comfortable. You should also make sure that heatsink you picked will be good enough to keep the 7700k cool, kaby lake seems to have a heating issue so bad that even Intel themselves have told customers not to overclock, at all big or small oc, a cpu that is unlocked for overclocking, if that makes any sense. The heating spikes still seem to occur when running stock as well so just keep an eye on that.

This heatsink should work fine as I dont plan to OC (for that exact reason), though I plan on moving to a corsair h100i or a nzxt kraken when I get the money. And ive already changed the PSU from 550 to 650 since it wasnt much of a price difference.

• Like 1