Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Home Defense

bergiee2

My wife and I have decided to invest in a home protection weapon. We are both fairly unfamiliar with weapons and not sure where to start. I am a little more experienced but still unsure as where to begin. I would prefer for each of us to have our own so we are both most comfortable with our own equipment.

-Any recommendation out there for what I should be looking for?

-Is there a gun you purchased because it looked cool/nice and turned out hating it?

-How do you keep it safe away at home and still be able to have QUICK access to it?

-What was your first weapon?

Many people will say to buy a rifle or pistol, but unless you're planning on ccing or want to use the firearm for more than just home defense (i.e. going to local range; hunting), a shotgun can and will outperform almost anything else when it comes to home defense. Also, if you live in the U.S., you usually have to wait 1-2 months to file paperwork to own a pistol, while a long gun you can walk home with today or the day after, given a clear background check.

For a first gun/home defense weapon I would suggest something like a mossberg 500, cheap, yet still reliable and easy to use. Plus, if you did want to get into hunting or anything else, it would be a great place to start.

-Is there a gun you purchased because it looked cool/nice and turned out hating it?

Mnope

-How do you keep it safe away at home and still be able to have QUICK access to it?

If you don't have children or anyone else liable to mess around with it at home, you could just get a wall mount rack system where it will look nice above your hearth yet still be available for use in a flash, something like this

newoak.jpg

If you want my first weapon, it would be a secondhand bear compound bow when I was 9

If you want my first firearm, it would be the classic mosin nagant; you can find those overpenetrating russian surplus boltactions all over the place for cheap. Fun to shoot and cheap ammo, wouldn't suggest it for a home defense weapon though.

• Like 2

Also, I forgot if we have a no-outside-url rule here, and if so I'll happily delete this post, but for even more info, a lot of my firearm knowledge that I didn't learn from experience or taught I learned from 4chan's /k/ board; if you copypaste your questions and make a thread there I'm sure you'll get a lot of diverse answers more suited to your needs.

They can be found at http://boards.4chan.org/k/.

It's a safe for work board, no adult/graphic content there.

Thank you for the in site. This is all very helpful info. I love the idea of having a gun rack but I do have 2 small children in the home.

You still have options; you could get a safe but you most likely wouldn't be able to retrieve the weapon fast enough if someone broke in; you could always mount the weapon rack high up on a wall where the kids cant reach them, and get a cheap trigger lock (https://www.google.com/search?q=trigger+lock&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KhUjVP_YIYGayAT7koGoBQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=1017) like shown here; they can be removed in a couple seconds if need be and would prevent an accidental discharge

• Like 1

They can be found at http://boards.4chan.org/k/.

This is NOT a reliable source.

If you want something for home protection use something small. .22LR or 9mm are always reliable in those situations. The most important thing i can recommend is USE HOLLOW POINT ROUNDS. That kind of ammunition with shatter whenever it hits a wall or person. So not only will it stop the intruder in their tracks, but will also not go through your wall and hit your neighbors cat.

As for actual guns, any kind of Glock is good. Handguns are what you'll want to look for. They're easy to grab and get ready to fire quickly. I'm pretty biased and have a M1911 in my house. It fires a .45ACP which will stop anyone coming in. Only problem is it is a fairly loud round but the bullet travels pretty slow so it wont go through much, especially with hollow points.

Thats really all I got. i would recommend really researching into it more when you can.

This is NOT a reliable source.

If you want something for home protection use something small. .22LR or 9mm are always reliable in those situations. The most important thing i can recommend is USE HOLLOW POINT ROUNDS. That kind of ammunition with shatter whenever it hits a wall or person. So not only will it stop the intruder in their tracks, but will also not go through your wall and hit your neighbors cat.

As for actual guns, any kind of Glock is good. Handguns are what you'll want to look for. They're easy to grab and get ready to fire quickly. I'm pretty biased and have a M1911 in my house. It fires a .45ACP which will stop anyone coming in. Only problem is it is a fairly loud round but the bullet travels pretty slow so it wont go through much, especially with hollow points.

Thats really all I got. i would recommend really researching into it more when you can.

80% false. Hallow points do not shatter when they hit a wall and a .45 hallow point can easily go through a wall and into the neighbors, especially if you do not live in a brick house or you live in an apartment. .45 has low velocity but very high energy. It won't go through as much as a 9mm or 40 S&W but it can certainly go through a wall. Who cares about how loud the gun is when you are protecting your families lives? I would want my neighbors to hear so they can call police.

Sean is right about shotguns. They are hands down the best thing for home defense. If an intruder breaks in at 3am and you are woke by the sound you are not going to have the same control or aim as you would during the day at a gun range. A shotgun sprays over a wide area so much less need to have spot on accuracy when your eyes haven't adjusted to the light.

As far as kids and a safe. My kids are not allowed in my room and I have a pop out trigger lock on mine but they also have been taught about firearms. My 6 year old has a 22 rifle and knows what they are capable of. Start them early and you won't have to worry about them later. A pistol safe for the nightstand that has an easy 3 digit code to access or finger print scanner is ideal but I would never have something that needs drawn out combination or a key, you are dead before you can access the gun.

Shotguns are the best thing for home defense. The most popular for home defense would be the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870. If you want a safe, it might be better to go with a pistol and store it in one of those quick code safes you keep in a drawer or under the bed. As far as caliber goes, stay away from anything under 9mm. Small rounds such as 22LR, 25 ACP, 32 ACP, and 380 ACP don't have enough penetration to really stop anyone. If you are at the point where you are shooting someone to defend yourself or you family, shoot to kill. I would suggest 9mm or 45 ACP over the 40 S&W because they are easier to control and allow for an easier follow up shot. For pistols I personally love Glocks, Sig Sauers, and 1911's. Stick to the standard makes such as S&W, Sig, Glock, H&K, Springfield, Beretta, etc. (I would suggest staying away from Taurus because they have reliability issues.). In the end, the pistol you should get is the one you will practice with often and like to shoot.

For home defense: Shotgun > semi-auto rifle such as AR15 > pistol

Edited by Bacardi151

My wife and I have decided to invest in a home protection weapon. We are both fairly unfamiliar with weapons and not sure where to start. I am a little more experienced but still unsure as where to begin. I would prefer for each of us to have our own so we are both most comfortable with our own equipment.

I wanted to offer some well researched insight on this subject:

1. I have this system in my house http://simplisafe.com/ and I like it alot. check it out. It is easy to install, all wireless, doesn't need a phone line (it's all cellular based), no contract, and it's reasonably priced. 24/7 Police and Fire dispatch.

2. If you are looking for a weapon for protection, a Bodyguard 380 is a great choice. It has a built in laser sight, and would be perfect for to keep by your bed at night. You can aim it and shot someone in the dark. I believe it only costs $399 if you can find one. However you would need to fire several shots at someone to kill them. and .38cal round will not do it alone, and neither would a 9mm.

My personal weapon (pictured) is a Glock 23 Gen 4. The Gen 4 has a spring in it. It's small, easy to conceal, and has a 13 round clip. It's a .40 cal. LIkely to kill on the first shot.

Hope this helps.

Edited by KiLLeR SeNSaTioNâ„¢

• 1 month later...

Just going to put my thoughts on this matter, I do believe the pistol lovers here are blinded by the fun of shooting them, they are weak, and inaccurate in rushed situations if you are not trained (ex, military or police). If an intruder is smart enough to bring body armor it probably stop most rounds up to 45fmj so shotguns are very ideal. Shotguns will find the they unprotected parts, handguns are only good for out of the house defense. I as well carry a shotgun in the truck too tho. Make sure to check your local laws about clip sizes and plug sizes. And lastly if u were hellbent on getting a hand gun I wouldn't recommend anything the size of your palm they will either have a small round or high recoil. if your on a budget I recommend the stouger cougar 9mm for concealment out of the house defense and a 12 gauge depending on local laws such as Pennsylvania which limits the capacity to 3 shells I chose a double barrel.no since in spending 300 more dollars for that 3rd shell. If you have no laws like this then go with the remington870

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer the Smith & Wesson M&P series. It somes in 9mm and .40cal in both full size and sub-compact. Good for home defense with children in the house. If your looking for something smaller, look into the Ruger .380 sub compacts, they're decent for their size and the rounds are relatively cheaper.

• 2 months later...