Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

I7-4790K Or I5-4690K?

DIAMELO

I've been running AMD builds for a long time, first pc was running an Athlon 64 x2 4200+ dual core at like 2.2 ghz. Now I've been back and forth with the FX chips from a fx-8120 to a fx-8350 and now I'm running with a fx-6300. I finally want to make the switch to intel but most of their stuff seems pretty confusing to me.

Here are my current specs

CASE

Cooler Master Storm Trooper

Motherboard

ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z

CPU

AMD FX-6300 Processor - Six Core @ 4.5 GHz

CPU Cooler

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid Cooling System

RAM

G.Skill Sniper - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz

Graphics Card(s)

HIS Radeon HD 7950 3GB w/Boost

Power Supply

Corsair CX750-Watt Power Supply

What I know so far is that all I really need to change is the motherboard and get the right cpu for it and I'll be set. I already picked out a board - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125 Its basically the intel version of the amd board I have now as far as I can tell.

I will also be adding another 8gb of ram and will possibly switch out my 7950 with a 980 later.

What I'm not so sure about is which cpu to go with, the i7 or the i5. Is the i7 worth the extra $100? Or would I be fine with the i5?

pls help a soon to be ex-AMD fanboy out.

the 4790k Is still the single best rated CPU in terms of threading which is what you want for gaming. It's even ranked higher than the new generation so if you want the best of the best for ONLY gaming that's your processor. Of course if you do any sort of video editing or anything similar I would go for a higher generation or different 4 series

• Like 1

I've been using the I7 for a few months now and it can handle anything I throw at it, definitely a good processor to use if you want to future proof for a while. Doubt you'll need another upgrade for a couple of years. Just make sure you replace the stock cooler if you're gonna be doing some CPU-intensive shit because intel is notoriously bad with their stock coolers

smiles, I like everyone's input. I usually just ask people what they are going to be doing on the computer. and what there budget is.

stock cooler is fine for people who don't plain on over clocking or playing long gaming sessions. I nice new air cooler should only be like 30 to 50 bucks.. you can over pay for them if you like. just get heavier and bulkier. Closed loop water coolers are nice.

I recently got a bracket and closed loop water cooler for my video card.

I like computer hardware. yup yup yup glad to hear you picked out a i7... should play with it! make it render/3d modeling.. and do some video editing. who knows what hobbies you will find. maxresdefault.jpg

• 2 weeks later...